Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:36 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times

Advertisements

I was at a local bar and there was an older lady who is a regular there. She offers to buy my drinks and accepted it. FYI, I'm a straight woman into dudes. We had some conversations. She brings up how the men in her life and how they wronged her in some way including her father. She complained how her father never showed any loving affection towards her growing up. Then I commented my dad never did either but focused on the positive by saying he was always there for me and felt secure that he was around when I needed him. I'm one to really try not to dwell on the negatives in my past on do my best to focus on the positives. Am I bad "friend" for not caring to listen to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 07:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Well, it doesn't sound like she's a friend. But, you could gently steer the conversation. "Wow, that sucked, but I really need cheering up now. Tell me something happy."

Something like that. If she starts going down that road again, say. "Well, let's get back to happy stuff.... "

If it's just not possible for her to do, then you'll have to avoid her.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:28 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
There are plenty of sad sacks in bars.
Next time, don't let them buy your attention with drinks.

I don't see what you being straight has anything to do with sad stories at a bar.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:55 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

Am I bad "friend" for not caring to listen to it?
No. It's not like she'll remember the conversation tomorrow anyway. Nobody remembers stories of drowned sorrows in alcohol.

[except the DD]

Old 02-06-2016, 07:28 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, it doesn't sound like she's a friend. But, you could gently steer the conversation. "Wow, that sucked, but I really need cheering up now. Tell me something happy."

Something like that. If she starts going down that road again, say. "Well, let's get back to happy stuff.... "

If it's just not possible for her to do, then you'll have to avoid her.
It's a small bar so that wouldn't be possible to avoid her.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:37 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
Someone who offers to buy you drinks in a bar so you will listen to them whine is not a friend. You do get that don't you ? Learn the difference between a friend and a very casual acquaintance. This woman just wants to buy your ear - this is not friendship.

Stop letting this woman buy you drinks. Change the subject 100% of the time when she starts complaining. If she doesn't stop, just go sit somewhere else. Or find another bar.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:37 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Next time, don't let them buy your attention with drinks.
^^^^^This.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:45 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
It sure isn't bad of you. Different people have a different tolerance for that stuff. One of my kids has a high tolerance. Another has a very low tolerance and can give people a look if they start dumping on her that always shuts them up.

Watching the difference between the two 'kids' is funny.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:51 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
It would be inconsiderate to not want to listen to the woes of a FRIEND. This person is not a friend.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:51 AM

298 posts, read 271,153 times
I agree with everyone. That type of people always go to bars. If they're not in church or at their shrink's office, they're in bars. Whiners with sob stories, all of them. Misery loves company. They're all LOSERS. Find a bar with live music. You won't see so many sad loser sacks there. Or find a bar with darts, open mic or trivia. Your experience is the reason why I stopped going to bars. Those sad leeches always try to buy my ear. They have a radar for friendly nice folk who like to talk/listen. You can always bring garlic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships