Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:21 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,271,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I was at a local bar and there was an older lady who is a regular there. She offers to buy my drinks and accepted it. FYI, I'm a straight woman into dudes. We had some conversations. She brings up how the men in her life and how they wronged her in some way including her father. She complained how her father never showed any loving affection towards her growing up. Then I commented my dad never did either but focused on the positive by saying he was always there for me and felt secure that he was around when I needed him. I'm one to really try not to dwell on the negatives in my past on do my best to focus on the positives. Am I bad "friend" for not caring to listen to it?
No, you should do/say/listen to what you want.
Don't accept "free" drinks, there are usually "strings" attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 09:42 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,826,075 times
There's nothing more pathetic then regular bar flies drinking their sorrows away and sucking anyone and everyone they can down that depressing vortex. Bars have a huge ewww factor for me. I had to spend too many childhood hours in one watching my parents drink down that self destructive path.

You'll never catch me in one nor hanging with that mentality. How about going for a walk or a bike ride instead on sitting there on a bar stool instead HappyFarm34? Maybe it's time for some new scenery.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:51 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,457,678 times
Quote:
I was at a local bar and there was an older lady who is a regular there. She offers to buy my drinks and accepted it. FYI, I'm a straight woman into dudes. We had some conversations. She brings up how the men in her life and how they wronged her in some way including her father. She complained how her father never showed any loving affection towards her growing up. Then I commented my dad never did either but focused on the positive by saying he was always there for me and felt secure that he was around when I needed him. I'm one to really try not to dwell on the negatives in my past on do my best to focus on the positives. Am I bad "friend" for not caring to listen to it?

It was okay for her to pay for your drinks, but that wasn't "payment" enough for you to listen to her problems? Nice.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:04 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,371,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
There's nothing more pathetic then regular bar flies drinking their sorrows away and sucking anyone and everyone they can down that depressing vortex. Bars have a huge ewww factor for me. I had to spend too many childhood hours in one watching my parents drink down that self destructive path.

You'll never catch me in one nor hanging with that mentality. How about going for a walk or a bike ride instead on sitting there on a bar stool instead HappyFarm34? Maybe it's time for some new scenery.
Much less likely to meet people that way. I live in a rural area. Who wants someone stopping them when they're on a walk/run/bike ride starting a conversation?

Old 02-07-2016, 10:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,271,660 times
Quote:
Much less likely to meet people that way. I live in a rural area. Who wants someone stopping them when they're on a walk/run/bike ride starting a conversation?
Lots of folks live in rural areas. Make different choices, volunteer, get involved or start a local group...i.e. book club, gardening, any number of possibilities.
Regardless where you live, how you choose to spend your time is a "choice".

quoting you "Who wants someone stopping them when they're on a walk/run/bike ride starting a conversation?"
IMO It is called being neighborly...give it a try.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:31 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,672,321 times
My life improved 150% when I stopped bars. Any relationship forged in alcohol is doomed to failure. Not if, "when".

Old 02-07-2016, 02:34 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,633,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
My life improved 150% when I stopped bars. Any relationship forged in alcohol is doomed to failure. Not if, "when".
So true, I drink my beer at home and the company is so much better and the beer costs a lot less.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,686,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

Well I can think of one thing. Accepting drinks from someone and than whining about them talking to you.

A very simple "no thank you" would have nipped this in the bud.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:18 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,826,075 times
Quote:

How about going to a meet up group in your area? One showed up at the skating rink one Friday morning and there must have been around 35-40 healthy, active seniors. Some of them were in their 50's. I was talking to one and she said that you could be busy every day of the week doing something fun.

I think looking into something like that would yield far more positive results then sitting there watching "a regular" slowly self destruct and disappearing into a bottle. I know what that "regular" mentality is like. Please allow me to encourage you to broaden your horizons and meet up with people who are of a healthier mind and body. I'm not saying to never go there again, but I am saying that being a "regular" may not be the healthiest option for socializing.

(Ps Thank you all for the many reps from my previous post on this thread )

Old 02-08-2016, 11:09 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,371,510 times
Yes, there's some popular meet-ups in my area. I should check them out again. So, are you saying most regulars at bars are self-destructing themselves?? And usually have a "drown their own sorrows" personality? Plus, it irks my nerves seeing people getting quite buzzed then driving back home. I only drink 2 beers then go home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships