Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Just wondering,
how do you feel about co-workers asking to borrow your umbrella?

I used to sit by the front door and several people that I rarely talked to stopped by my office and asked me if I had an umbrella they could borrow.
I moved somewhere else, and still a few people have asked me if I have an umbrella they can borrow.

what do you guys think about it?
Just to clarify, the reason I don't like people borrowing my umbrella is because I have a nice umbrella that folds down to about 6-8" and I would hate for somebody to borrow it and break it (usually caused by wind).
The other reason is .... why don't you buy an umbrella just like I did?
I agree. How silly....I would never ask an acquaintance for something like this.

Plus, how are you supposed to leave if they have your umbrella.

You must be the office caretaker....or others percieve you this way. I'm guessing that you did loan your umbrella out.

Last edited by JanND; 05-21-2015 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Mod cut.

Learn how to be responsible for your own items that are needed and quit relying on others to provide for you.
Most mature adults know how to do that.
I agree. Why should the OP buy extras for coworkers....ridiculous

Old 05-21-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Mod cut.

It isn't about an umbrella, it is about the interpretation of a part of our societal contract.

Does the OP loan in good faith, knowing full well that the umbrella will never come back? Or is he selfish?
I think this is a very important conversation.
LOl....I would look at this in the opposing way....It is about people being responsible or irresponsible by having their own umbrella. There's always those looking for others to take care of them.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
well not co workers but my sister in law borrowed mine and when I asked her where it was , Oh that got broken in the wind , never a word about paying me back and or buying me one . Glad to be rid of that family . My brother and her got a divorce thank God .Yes I like the idea of buying the dollar store ones and sell them to co workers at twice the price you paid excellent idea .

Old 05-21-2015, 08:19 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Just wondering,
how do you feel about co-workers asking to borrow your umbrella?

I used to sit by the front door and several people that I rarely talked to stopped by my office and asked me if I had an umbrella they could borrow.
I moved somewhere else, and still a few people have asked me if I have an umbrella they can borrow.

what do you guys think about it?
Just to clarify, the reason I don't like people borrowing my umbrella is because I have a nice umbrella that folds down to about 6-8" and I would hate for somebody to borrow it and break it (usually caused by wind).
The other reason is .... why don't you buy an umbrella just like I did?
It sounds like you're sick of the rain here too, Dopo. If you're still in Houston, that is. What's it been, two weeks straight? At least How does your yard look? OMG, my fiancee finally screwed up the courage to get out the riding mower and almost drowned today. I'm glad she did because there's no end in sight lol. As for your question, no wonder they're asking to borrow your umbrella. But I'm suprised they haven't bought their own by now. Just tell them you can't loan it out, sorry.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
You've become the umbrella guy in the office. You loaned it out to one person and then that person told another person and another and another that you have one you are willing to let other people borrow. It saves lazy people the energy of having to ask other people or buying one themselves.

Here's an idea. Find an old broken umbrella in the trash and the next time someone wants to borrow yours, hand them the broken one. That should put a stop to it.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I would tell them, "have you heard of Gore tex? It's been available for like 20 years now."

Who is JJ?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:24 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It sounds like you're sick of the rain here too, Dopo. If you're still in Houston, that is. What's it been, two weeks straight?
I don't know, but anybody in Houston that doesn't have an umbrella by now is an idiot.
It's been raining for at at least 2 weeks everyday.

And yes, I'm the kind of person that drops everything I'm doing to help people
I hate to be rude and tell people "I'm busy, come back later" unlike other people that have no problem saying that.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:58 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
I was on my way to a meeting and as I was getting ready to close my umbrella, I got stopped by a friend and we stood there talking for a few minutes. An attorney I knew from seeing around the courthouse came over to us. He acted like he was being helpful and grabbed my umbrella and shook the excess water off in a trash can and when I looked up, he kept walking right out the revolving door with it. I started shouting "Hey, where are you going with my umbrella?" He said, "I'll leave it at your office!" Well, of course, he didn't. I know its silly, but because of that incident, I've never loaned my umbrella to anyone because I feel like they won't return it. Its not my job to keep them dry - they can get their own the same as I did.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
I don't know, but anybody in Houston that doesn't have an umbrella by now is an idiot.
It's been raining for at at least 2 weeks everyday.

And yes, I'm the kind of person that drops everything I'm doing to help people
I hate to be rude and tell people "I'm busy, come back later" unlike other people that have no problem saying that.
I used to be like that. I learned that you need to write down some come-backs to use. It's really stressful at first. But, you'll be surprised that people accept "no," for the most part. They're too self-centered to get into the "why" of it, they'll be out your door looking for someone else's umbrella lickety-split.

They may make you repeat yourself out of initial shock. So, then you use the broken record technique. But, odds are that they won't spend more than 30 seconds with you. As soon as they register that your answer is "no," they won't be listening anymore. They'll be thinking about who else they can ask.

So, I suggest you figure out a mantra. And stick to it. Don't give them an opening they think they can weasel into - like don't start giving reasons why you won't do things, that they can argue with.

I learned (lots of books and therapy LOL) that people will respect a statement that sounds like a rule.

"Sorry, I don't lend my things out anymore."

If they ask, "Why?"

"Sorry, I just don't lend my things out anymore."

Only some really persistent type will go any further.

"I promise I'll bring it right back."

If you get someone super persistent...

"But, I'm going to get all wet and I have a big meeting this afternoon!!!"

They'll give up and leave. They might try it one or two more times, so you must always answer the same way for them to give up.

You can do it :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships