Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

The question to women: Would you go out to a restaurant, or the grocery store, or to church if you male partner insisted on wearing a skirt or kilt?

Anyone catch the recent Dear Abby article on supporting men wearing skirts and kilts?

A man wrote in saying he prefers to wear skirts at home, on errands and to church, being he grew up in SW Asia where skirts, sarongs and robes are common apparel for men. He said he was looking forward to the day when more people recognize that men who prefer skirts are not weirdos or terrorists.

On reader wrote in to say that in American Samoa they grow NFL linebackers and they all wear "skirts". The Samoan lavalava is a wraparound worn by Polynesian men.

On reader wrote in to say: women have won the "right" to wear pants and their sexuality is not questioned, yet when a man wears a skirt, his masculinity is questioned, unless he's wearing a kilt and is involved in macho activities.

Here, in the depth of our hot Las Vegas summers, and when browsing through used clothing stores, and with the my eyes on a rack of skirts which I've always known would be far more comfortable to wear here, and now with Dear Abby's support, I'm looking forward to doing a number of experiments this summer. There I'll be, with my tank top, showing hair on my chest, and a very, very comfortable skirt.

I already know what the reactions of men will be, but I'm more curious to see what the reactions of women wearing "mens" clothes will be. Oh! If they should say just one word................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:58 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,914 times
well... skirts I don't know. But a manly guy using a manly kilt, yumi xD

Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
You should go to the Highland Gamesin Vegas, usually in the spring, if memory serves. I think it's the Celtic Society of Las Vegas that sponsors them. There are vendors that sell items at the festival, and some might have a selection of kilts, though I am not sure that I'd recommend wearing a kilt "regimentally" as that might pose a couple of issues.

I was reading an article in the Sydney Morning Hearald recently that was discussing the sarong among men in Australia. It's not uncommon to see men in kilts in Scotland, or even at Scottish weddings in the US. I have attended a couple where either the bride or groom was of Scottish ancestry, and there were several men in formal kilts with Prince Charlie jacket and vest, even outside the wedding party.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,433,232 times
Well, I have a goth friend who used to wear skirts in our college days and I had no problem with that. So, if I were to take issue with that now, then I would be a total shmok. I'm sure I'm in the minority. But, hey, wear them. I don't find them all that practical, but then you're probably not chasing young children around a playground all day long.

So, go for it. Someone has to start the trend.

Last edited by fjtee; 03-22-2009 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: naughty word, i guess. who knew?

Old 03-22-2009, 11:17 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,437,376 times
I would not have a problem with any man wearing a "skirt". If it looks good, and hes got the legs, then show them.

I would however keep my cell phone with me at all times, so if I need to call 911 in case a man somewhere beats him up.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,567 times
Oh man. There is a funny sight. I can just picture myself in a skirt. I doubt I would get beat up. (See profile pic) I can't say I never would but maybe once just to take the picture and laugh for years to come.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:53 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
are you aware that the men who wear kilts in Scotland
are the equivalent of the US Marines here in America?

That it is in fact a military uniform?
And just as (in general) Marines are about as manly a man as you will find and extremely sexy in full dress uniform
so too if you've ever seen the Scots in full dress kilt it is one of the most testosterone charged sights there is.
I got so weak in the knees seeing these hunks around town on patrol when I visited Scotland, I literally had to sit down.

so it might be good to educate yourself on the cultural setting in which these various garments are worn, rather than judging them in a single narrow (stereotyped) context

Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,859 times
I don't see a problem with it. It's not for me personally but I think it's stupid to bash people because of their style.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,567 times
Honestly I don't put the kilt or even the "eastern" version in the skirt category. The picture that came to mind was one of those denim numbers with frilly Shtuff around the bottom. Not knocking the ethnic dress at all. It is heritage and something to be proud of. On the other hand the frilly skirt would be absolutely hilarious. Almost like the bulldog on that movie with the Rock as Joe Kingman. The little girl had the dog in a tuttu... I am just saying I think it would be a picture to hang on the wall as a conversation piece. If you knew me you would understand how ironic it would be to walk in my house and say an obviously comedy picture of me in a skirt with maybe a plaid shirt and hiking boots. HAHAHAHAHA OMG I am going to have to do it now. All hairy legged no make up or girly stuff just me with my bald head, 22" arms....I am laughing so hard I can't type.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,609,845 times
No No No

If I married him knowing that, then yes. But if he decided to wear them now, HELL NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships