Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:59 PM

14,968 posts, read 12,185,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I had a customer come in once and we were chatting after her transaction. She asked if I enjoyed working and I said I'd far rather stay home than work. Her voice was just dripping with sympathy for poor me when she said, "Oh, you'd rather be a stay-at-home mom." You should have seen her expression when I told her, "Heck, no! I'd like to stay home, but never to be a housewife, and forget the kids. I can find plenty of things to keep me busy besides that. I just don't like working for a living."

Honestly, I didn't even think before saying it, and my coworker was practically rolling on the floor laughing so hard. But it's true. Who wouldn't want to be rich enough to not have to work and do what they wanted or not do what they didn't want?
I always thought it would be great at least to try that out for a while and see what it was like. But then, I made it to retirement, am comfortable there and maybe that is the next best thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 03:11 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,945,434 times
As for the Title....She was 100% CORRECT.

It is possible Not being married or have any children while being Single all of your years.....then again

You were married and had children.....wife passes away due to illness and your children have grown/married with their own children.

Now you are alone in your senior years (see myself every morning in the mirror).

Old 07-04-2015, 04:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Could also be they are ignorant. They cleave to their views because their views are the only ones they know.

Too bad so many of this kind are in politics, so as to make laws that constrain and extort money from the rest of us. Too bad so many citizens screech mantras like rabid monkeys, while believing they are thus engaged in analysis and critical thinking.

As a society, we are devolving into a gooey progressivist mass, incapable of distinguishing propaganda from civil discourse.
And there you go dissing people you don't agree with.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:25 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,965,613 times
Where's the guarantee that the wife won't die and the kids won't move away?

My eldest son lost his wife to cancer a year and a half ago. Their two daughters will both be in college this year. How lonely do you suppose that makes him? And he didn't choose to be alone.

Tell whomever that life offers no perfect outcome, regardless of how one plans. Do whatever it is that makes you happy and make no excuses for your choice.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:40 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,593,660 times
She told you something about who she is. It has nothing to do with who you are.

Some people like you and me can be very fulfilled and happy in life without sharing it with a mate. Other people need to... well breed. It's sort of hard-wired into most human brains to ensure the continuation of the species. Some of us just have less of that in our brain chemistry.

She won't be able to understand your happiness at being single and childfree any more than you can understand her need for a spouse and children to make her feel happy with her life.

Now work on realising that it is okay for each of you to have a different viewpoint on the subject and that you are both valid in those viewpoints.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:07 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,210,349 times
After some 6 different roomies in college (most all of them, just nice good friends) I swore I'd never live with anybody ever again. No particular reason except I just like my "space." It's a "me" thing. It motivated me to make sure I strove to be able to always afford my own space and do so ASAP. And it worked. I never ever had another roomie (or spouse) ever. I'd have it no other way. I do whatever I want, when I want. No static (except occasionally from myself, particularly when it's time to take out the garbage).

Best part is that I have someone around when I want someone around, and am able to choose who that is.

BTW, I purposely do not keep a couch or extra chair in the living room. Lest a drop-in visitor(s) feel too "welcome."

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 07-04-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 06:15 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
I would tell she, whoever the hell she is, refrain from sharing that ignorant opinion in my presence if you do not want to be cussed out on the spot.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:22 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,603,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
A lady said this to me. I was like "what?".

I guess there are people out there that think that's the only thing life has to offer.

I keep myself very busy and fulfilled and I've never felt lonely. Maybe I'm missing something.
So she's gay? Is that your issue with what she said? She said that not having a wife made her life lonely? And she was female?

Or is that she was speaking of men, meaning you?

If she was, I would say that is true to some extent. If you are young, your life hasn't slowed down yet. You haven't heard the grim reaper walking down the block toward your house. A person's priorities do change with age. You won't be partying and seeing a lot of people later in life. They'll all be married and involved with family functions. There will be no big bash Thanksgiving dinners full of wives and husbands and brothers in law and kiddos at your house. There will be no squeals of delight by little voices on Christmas morning in your house.

Your fulfilling career will not cuddle with you on the sofa and eat popcorn while watching a horror movie. Your job will not care that the reason you screwed up on that project was because you were going through some issues. Your friends will not hug you in bed at night and tell you that they will be there for you, no matter what. Parties will increasingly become full of couples only, except for you. People will ask behind your back if you're gay....or a serial killer....or just socially awkward.

It's odd to me that young men fight marriage so much, when in the end, men seem much happier being married than women do. I think that marriage is structured such that it tends to support men more than women. It makes life easier for men. Most divorced and widowed men remarry fairly quickly.

There are no guarantees, that's for sure. Your wife could end up being a shrew. Your kids all nightmares who drink excessively and total your cars. But you have some control over those things.

I read a study once years ago as to which groups are happiest. The results were, as I recall:

1. Married men
2. Single women
3. Single men
4. Married women

Last edited by bpollen; 07-04-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I hope you told her that not everyone is cut out to, or even WANTS, to have a spouse and that you are perfectly happy with the life you lead. Besides, it's NONE of her business to say that to you.
Sounds like they were having a discussion, and this came up.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Where's the guarantee that the wife won't die and the kids won't move away?

My eldest son lost his wife to cancer a year and a half ago. Their two daughters will both be in college this year. How lonely do you suppose that makes him? And he didn't choose to be alone.

Tell whomever that life offers no perfect outcome, regardless of how one plans. Do whatever it is that makes you happy and make no excuses for your choice.
Most men remarry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships