Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:08 PM

231 posts, read 202,473 times

Advertisements

As I have gotten older, I have also become more sentimental. I have learned the hard way many times that getting to attached to people is bad because relationships don't last forever. Whoever is more emotionally invested gets hurt more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,401,209 times
As in keeping mementos? No; I'm a tosser. I don't hang onto stuff. But people and relationships are even more precious to me as I age. I very much enjoy reminiscing with those I love.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,969,848 times
Nah, I have become more sentimental and less compassionate over the years

Old 07-08-2015, 03:58 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,333,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I used to be really sentimental taking photos & scrapbooking. Looking back at some of the photos, I ask myself, who are these people? Or the ones I thought I was close to only bring me painful feelings.

So now, I learned not to get overly attached to people.
It definitely hurts to be burned by someone close. Being too aloof is unhealthy. I guess it's a double-edged sword.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:05 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Yes

Old 07-08-2015, 04:09 PM

379 posts, read 360,380 times
Yes, I just threw out a box of stuff my parents had kept since my school years.

Man, were people ugly in my high school. And, sadly, looking at my old homework, report cards and art projects I was a pretty stupid kid with little innate talent.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:10 PM

45,548 posts, read 60,783,308 times
No.

My kids are now grown and the 19 year old is the only one left at home.

So, as I embark on my retirement and through my 60s I find I look at them now and remember moments of their lives, their births, the first time I held them, Scouts or ballet, teaching them to ride bikes and then drive. Stuff like that.

I find myself missing those things now when at the time I couldn't wait for them to be over.

Each one has made me a proud parent in their own ways.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,437,403 times
What's gone is gone...so much to look forward to!
(For me.)

Old 07-08-2015, 05:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
To answer the OP's question, yes. I am less sentimental about stuff, but more sentimental about memories of my kids and early marriage. Those memories of earlier days are very close to my heart.

But what I truly hate is being manipulated in movies or sermons or speeches into cheap sentimentality! I hate it. Even if it brings tears to my eyes, I hate it, because I don't want to waste emotion on maudlin, trite stuff. And I don't spend very much time online looking at cute animals or babies and their antics either.

I have a really soft spot for young children. But I'd rather see them as they really are, than as tools of some stupid made up story.

Wow I'm harsh here. I don't expect most of you to agree with me.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:49 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,363,730 times
I have become less sentimental. I choose not to hang onto a lot of personal attachments. I too have some painful memories and although I never got into scrapbooking, I do come across pictures of relatives and friends...ones who have passed away and ones who treated me poorly. So I have become what I call more cynical over the years.

Once we get hurt over and over it is easy to try and protect ourselves from experiencing further pain. I am working through that now and am learning to trust and be open with others again. I just am careful not to trust everyone like I once did in my younger, more naive days.

Forgiveness is important too. I realize I did my own share of hurting others. I have accepted responsibility, made amends where possible and I do try harder to do unto others. I too live in the present more than ever, however, I realize I can do that without shutting others out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships