Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:29 PM

685 posts, read 1,104,909 times

Advertisements

So a few days ago I went over to my relatives house to let my kids go in the pool. He's away, but he told me to go over anyway and enjoy the yard. Now, I'm pretty good at getting away from nosey questions asked by people, hell this relative likes to give life advice (none that I ask for or need) and I can easily give him an answer where he'll get the drift I'm not interested. So said neighbor lives next door, is actually, or should I say was very close with my family. I even invited them to my wedding, since we attended their kid and we always went to their family parties held at their house.

So I probably haven't seen this neighbor face to face other then waving if I saw him outside his house in about 2 years. I had another child since last seeing him, so I'm sure plenty to shoot the breeze about. His wife, while I like very much as well, pretty much gave me and my gpa a "story" for years that once I finished my graduate degree, she could 100% get me a job to sub in the school she works at. Well, when the time came, she couldn't, didn't give me a reason exactly why, perhaps my gpa was being pushy about it and she didn't want to get involved, maybe she doesn't have the pull she thinks, who knows, but that was the end of it. Subbing with 2 small kids at home is no go now anyway. I'm now a SAHM, have been for years and my husband and I pretty much have planned I'll try to find a job again in about a year. Wether or not I'm going to pursue teaching, well that's a another story. But I'm still certified, but right now, my focus is on my kids.

So I'm trying to contain my kids to the pool, and I see him come into his yard out of the corner of my eye. I was pretty busy with my kids, but noticed he just kept walking around the yard. I happened to turn around and made eye contact, so then of course I say hi. I went over with my kids, figured I'd get asked normal questions like "How are you? How old are the kids? Oh look, you have 2 now?" No, instead the first question out of his mouth is "Oh so do you work>?" Um, who the hell asks someone if they work? I said "I stay home with my kids right now." So I turned the questions to him "How are your kids, grandkids, wife?" Find out his wife is having health problems and going in for surgery. He even added in how she still works bc what is she going to do home, watch TV all day Oh yes, while he's retired and does? He then started asking again "Oh, so are you still licensed to teach?" I'm thinking, is he offering me a job here. I say yup, he then proceeds to ask 4 more times oh, so you're still licensed. No, I'm lying. Then "So where did you work last." Why the hell do you care if I work, where I work, just like why? Then he goes "Oh, but wait didn't you want to teach."

Then he askes "Oh where does you husband work again?" So is he trying to do the math in his head to figure out how it is I stay at home with my kids and how much money DH makes? I'm thinking in my head, Ok have to exit. He then asks DD if she wants candy, of course she says yes, and he says to me ok let's go inside. I told him no we couldnt, my kids were soaking wet. Oh, he "thought" I would want to say hello to his wife. What? With 2 kids soaking wet with no shoes runnig wild so then she can ask me 20 questions about why, if, when or what I'm teaching. So he went in, got the candy and I said I thought I heard my DH calling me so I left.

So, how would you have handled this and do you go around asking people if they work? Unless he really is that bored with life or perhaps wanted something to gossip to his wife about I actually wanted to go back this week, but I'm dreading if he is out in the backyard again. I should ask him "So, do you and your wife sleep in the same bed yet? lol..Bc his wife used to very openly tell my family how they don't lol

Last edited by Me 82; 07-08-2015 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I would just wave from the pool and stop trying to read into his motives.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would just wave from the pool and stop trying to read into his motives.
For next time, yeah I could def do that. But when he's walking over towards you to talk, it's a little hard..

Old 07-08-2015, 06:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
For next time, yeah I could def do that. But when he's walking over towards you to talk, it's a little hard..
No, it's really not.

You just wave and look back at the kids in the pool. Gotta stay vigilant!

Old 07-08-2015, 06:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
How rude of him.

I would have said "Yes, I work, I have the most important job in the world. I'm a mother".

Than you could say to quote the late Jacqueline Kennedy "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much."

That would have shut him right down.

LOL...on the sleeping in the same bed comment.

Some people ask the most inappropriate questions.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How rude of him.

I would have said "Yes, I work, I have the most important job in the world. I'm a mother".

Than you could say to quote the late Jacqueline Kennedy "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much."

That would have shut him right down.

LOL...on the sleeping in the same bed comment.

Some people ask the most inappropriate questions.
Right? Meanwhile his own daughter stayed home for 5 years before she went back to "work, taught again" When I see him, that last thing in my mind would be to ask if his daughter still "works." or him or his pet parrot or anyone in his family for that matter lmaooo..

Old 07-08-2015, 07:49 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
I think that you are reading far too much into his questions.

I doubt if he was grilling you as much as just making idle conversation.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:25 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
We have an elderly neighbor at our other house who is retired and likes to chat. Sometimes in the course of a conversation he will ask me the same series of questions over and over again as if he didn't remember the answers from the first time.

He has dementia.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
He's bored and nosy. His wife may want to stay home, and he's trying to figure out how you do it.

I get that type of stuff all the time as a SAHM. Try not to take it personally. Anyone who thinks I sit on my bottom all day, doesn't know me very well.

Today I took the car in for service, gardened, took my child to dance, went to the bank, went to the grocery store, cooked three meals, cleaned the house, worked out, called about an insurance issue, watered the grass, and did two loads of laundry.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:10 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
You knew this guy well enough to invite him to your wedding. You already KNEW he was a nosy neighbor; yet you question his nosiness??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships