Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:46 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,066,858 times

Advertisements

the question is ludicrous, whatever's most comfortable for the eldest or most physically frail.

Perhaps if you had a luxurious 4-door with full-size rear seats it would defer to the 'who called shotgun first' standard. But in every car I can think of, the front passenger seat has more leg room and the seat reclines. Almost no 2nd row compares, unless you have like a commuter van.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,271,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Let's say in the car it's a guy with a girl he's been dating for a good while (years). The guy picks up his elderly mother (almost 80 years old but still in pretty good shape with no physical disabilities) to take a hour trip. Does the girlfriend offer the front seat to the guy's mom or does she let the mom sit in the back seat? No, these are not bucket seats.

What is your opinion?
Front seat to the elder.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:50 PM

22,648 posts, read 47,828,778 times
My mother and my stepdad refuse to sit in front. They prefer the safety and limited visibility of the back seat.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:49 PM

223 posts, read 322,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsl5 View Post
What happens if they're married and MIL is middle-aged and healthy? Does wife give up seat? I feel like sometimes I offer and sometimes I don't...now I'm curious!
Husband and I are in our late 20s and both of our mothers are fine with riding in the back. We've offered but they always choose the back. My mom prefers to sit in the back if she's not driving if there are more than just the two of us in the car. So we stopped offering.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:07 PM

22,623 posts, read 19,329,340 times
mom

girlfriend gets major points for giving mom the front seat

win win for everyone

Old 07-09-2015, 06:09 PM

22,623 posts, read 19,329,340 times
this is funny because my grown sons try to MAKE me sit up front, and I insist on the back seat, not out of martyrdom, but because it is too nerve-wracking watching the traffic, more relaxing for me in the back seat; also i am really short and tiny, while my sons are all over 6 feet tall so i'd rather they have the leg room; if i am ever put in the front seat, with other adults in the back, I slide the seat way forward so the people in back can have leg room. i get teased all the time for being really short. i have to buy Japanese cars always so I can see out of them to drive

Old 07-09-2015, 06:23 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,364,490 times
Mom sits in front....don't ask. If the girlfriend (or wife) gets their panties in a bunch over it, tell them to grow up.
I have always just gotten in the back when my Mom goes places with me and either my ex or a man drove. Back seats of most models are hard for ME to get out of. I sure am not going to expect my 80 year old mom to get out of them.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,222,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenj View Post
Husband and I are in our late 20s and both of our mothers are fine with riding in the back. We've offered but they always choose the back. My mom prefers to sit in the back if she's not driving if there are more than just the two of us in the car. So we stopped offering.
If you and hubby are in your late 20s I really doubt that either mother is 80 years old (like the OP's Mom).

A healthy, active, non-disabled 48 or 50 year woman can sit wherever she wants to sit, too.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:43 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,495,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsl5 View Post
What happens if they're married and MIL is middle-aged and healthy? Does wife give up seat? I feel like sometimes I offer and sometimes I don't...now I'm curious!
Great question! NOW we have a conversation.

What if mom is middle-aged and healthy? My wife and mother are like best friends so it's difficult for me to imagine such a situation, but personally, if I was driving my car, my mother should not feel entitled to the front seat, and I wouldn't expect my wife to offer it. It would be a nice gesture, but not obligatory.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:43 PM

905 posts, read 794,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So wrong....

Well you're obviously the high maintenance type. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships