Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:02 PM

715 posts, read 793,015 times

Advertisements

someone said i was a lovely lad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 09:01 PM

56 posts, read 47,014 times
That I was the only person that looks cute when they smile with a mouthful of food.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,924,600 times
Several, including Mr. Norma, have said they want to come back in the next life as one of my horses.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:58 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,363,463 times
Mod cut.

That said, I think the nicest thing anyone ever did for me was the fact that my ex DH has stayed in contact with me (via email mostly) in spite of the fact that when I was drinking, I did so many things which most people would have written me off if they had been in his shoes.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-30-2015 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,844,272 times
One of my colleagues from a previous job (now my best friend) taught me how to drive. I was starting a new job after my internship & couldn't get into the local driving schools as there was a long wait. I just happened to mention it to her & she volunteered to teach me how to drive in her car. She took a huge risk with me & I will be forever grateful to her. She is a good samaritan & helps many people in need.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:40 AM

44,383 posts, read 20,105,291 times
When I was recovering from extensive foot surgery in early 2014, I was having great difficulty getting around unassisted. I was able to drive but had to use a knee walker (kind of like a scooter that you put one knee on and you push yourself along with your good foot). It was my first trip out to the supermarket by myself, and when I entered the store I was already exhausted and frustrated from having to get out of my car and hop on one foot as I got the walker from the back seat, unfolded it and snapped the handlebar into position and then wheeled myself to the store entrance.

Once I got in the store, I was able to pull a shopping cart from the corral but it was nearly impossible to push a cart while kneeling on the walker, since I needed a free hand to push the cart but also needed my hands to steer the walker and use the brake. What to do? As I knelt there, trying to figure out how the heck I was going to get my groceries, a lovely lady asked if she could help me.

The kind stranger ended up pushing the cart for me and walked through the entire store with me as I shopped. Then she waited in line with me and helped me bag my groceries. Then she helped me out to my car, after which she re-entered to store to do her own shopping. She would not let me pay her for helping me. I was so grateful, I almost cried. I told her I would pay it forward once I was able-bodied again, and I've done that.

I will never forget that random act of kindness.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:37 PM

596 posts, read 628,683 times
It wasn't said to me but last summer I was at the beach and a little boy around the age of 5, ran onto the boardwalk with his mother behind him yelling "WOW! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!" (Talking about the ocean)

A guy no more than 26 years said to him, "No, YOU'RE beaitiful!"

My heart melted. Even more, the man was white and the child was black and in this racial climate, that warmed ny heart THAT MUCH MORE.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,683,266 times
When I was a kid a waitress ran out of a restaurant and dragged me inside when she saw some guy approaching me. She then went out and started yelling at the guy.

I am a loyal person so many, many, people have said nice things about me. They usually add "but if you p*** him off he will hurt you."

Old 07-29-2015, 11:45 PM

546 posts, read 409,796 times
I took a hard fall walking my dogs one time, and was hurt enough to be pretty faint and woozy. I didn't really know anyone in the neighborhood to call, and my husband was out of town. But our community had a very active Facebook page, so I posted there asking for help. There were probably a dozen people there in minutes. Someone called an ambulance, when they saw blood. Someone else tracked down my husband's employer to try to reach him to let him know what happened, and found a couple other relatives on facebook. Someone else took my dogs for the afternoon, until I was done in ER. Someone else drove to ER and waited for me to finish and take me home. Someone else offered to go get my prescriptions for me. Some other ladies offered to provide me cooked meals for a few days.

I was blown away by the kindness of all. I recently moved away from that area, and I really miss the way neighbors rallied for others in trouble.

Even though I have moved away, that incident really opened the door to some new friendships and people I'll keep in touch with.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
One year on my birthday, we were driving away from our house when we saw our backyard neighbors driving up the street toward us. As they got closer, they stopped and the whole family got out of the car, came over to our car and sang Happy Birthday to me. Then they waved, got back in and went on their way.

I was, like, 40, and it was SO unexpected and unprovoked that it was just a pure moment of joy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships