Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 05:33 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,345 times

Advertisements

I've got a couple of acquaintances like this, everything is mind-blowing to them, or so they pretend. I know for a fact the one guy is a people pleaser, the type that laughs at every joke, that overextends himself (then complains about all that he's doing for the person with no return). Another co-worker laughs at literally everything that is said to him, and it's that LOUD, room-shattering laughter. Literally every sentence said to him evokes laughter.

The good points about these guys is that they seem to be be in good moods most of the time and don't sweat small details (as I do), and both are reasonably intelligent people. But does the constant 'joy' and mirth annoy anyone else, especially when it seems contrived sometimes?

*I admit to being somewhat of a curmudgeon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 05:41 AM

279 posts, read 361,330 times
I don't mind people who laugh at every joke because it could be a social awkward thing. Now the guy you mention who laughs LOUD may be a different issue as far as annoyance.

As far as the always excited and constant joy type - I don't mind them in general - it's not a horrible way to be. I admit though I get annoyed with those people if they are trying to force their view on you. I would feel the same about a always pessimistic/grumpy person as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:51 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,359,946 times
I am sure I have annoyed many people throughout my life because I have been like both of the people you described--not one--both.

Now I am not as much a people pleaser as I am a God and pleasing/accepting myself. Also, if something is not funny--I just don't laugh. I just sit there with a blank look on my face as if someone passed gas.

So, I wonder if I annoy less people now being the way I am. I don't care.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:07 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
I wonder if your loud co-worker is a drunk, OP. Meetings at your office must be a literal laugh riot. I don't blame you for being annoyed. It's exhausting being around someone like that, who is so obviously trying to cover up for...what, I don't know, but something.

It reminds me of Joe Biden's wildly-inappropriate behavior.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:56 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,866 times
I do have a friend to whom everything is "amaaaazing!". She'll say it after even a mildly funny or mildly unusual story is told, almost as short hand for "That's interesting or mildly amusing!".

You: "The mailman didn't come until 5 yesterday. He said his mail truck broke down earlier."
Her: "Oh my God, that's so amazing!"

(No, she doesn't do it sarcastically). I'm not sure she's even aware that she uses that word so often - this is a really intelligent, accomplished person. A little younger than me - she'll probably grow out of it.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:06 PM

605 posts, read 490,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I'm not sure she's even aware that she uses that word so often - this is a really intelligent, accomplished person.
How intelligent can she be if she's not aware that she uses 'amazing' so often?

Old 07-29-2015, 05:18 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
More annoying are those who post with multiple punctuation marks and emoticons....

I do not know anyone IRL who gets overly excited about things. My friends and I are a fairly laid back bunch.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:22 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,428,386 times
Sometimes, yes. It all depends on their specific personality. With some people, it's not too annoying.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:57 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,298 times
No I like that. I find people who have done "everything" obnoxious.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I get what you mean, I think. There's a difference between someone being pleasant and optimistic in a calm way, and the over-the-top bubbly type. One relaxes you, the other exhausts you.

I had a sister-in-law like that. I think she was overcompensating for my curmudgeon brother, but she wore me out. Can we just smile and do the dishes together in peace, does it have to be exciting?? She required effort to be around. You couldn't just "be" with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships