Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 AM

83 posts, read 130,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Well, cutting them off completely from my life might be the easiest thing for me, but is it really necessary?

Suppose we continue letting them hang out with us but when they ask for money or moving in then it's a no no?

I'm thinking we can slowly lead by example. I have a secure career. My boyfriend is getting straight A's in college. Our relationship is 3 years in and going strong. We don't argue. We live very frugally.

While I understand everyone's concern, and I really really appreciate it, not trying to change their way of thinking kinda goes against my principles.

I will read the linked materials and see if there's something I can show to the sisters.
Based on my personal, direct experience with multiple generations of members of my own family and their associates, I'm going to tell you that you cannot 'lead by example.' They are not going to suddenly change their minds and their attitudes just because they see you and your bf living a happy, stable, self-sufficient life. These people are not going to learn anything from your example except that you have money and things that they want from you. They've already taken advantage of your kindness and generosity so they know that you are a sucker for a sob story. They don't want your example. They want your money. And once they get your money (be it $20 for dinner or $1500 for a car), they'll just spend it and continue to see themselves as entitled, helpless, (but smugly religious and virtuous) victims of society.

Please do take the advise you've been given to check on and guard your credit. I know a good-hearted man who once let his deadbeat younger brother live with him in the hopes that providing him with free lodgings and 'a good example' would inspire the brother to change his attitudes and get a job. Instead, the younger brother opened several credit cards in his brother's name, intercepted the mail so that my friend never knew what was going on, ran up thousands in unpaid credit card debt, and completely destroyed my friend's credit rating. All the while, the younger brother claimed that he loved his older brother but he just needed the money, and he figured that his older brother would be able to pay all the money back or else just scam the banks and not pay it back. Either way, he didn't care.

I'd recommend that you keep as much distance between you and these people as you can. You may not want to completely cut them out because they are your bf's family. I understand that. But don't go out of your way to initiate any contact with them. See if they reach out to you and your bf instead. If they do, see if they just want to see you for companionship, or because they have some ulterior motive which will usually end up being some sort of sob story to get at your cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,902,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clea6243 View Post
Based on my personal, direct experience with multiple generations of members of my own family and their associates, I'm going to tell you that you cannot 'lead by example.' They are not going to suddenly change their minds and their attitudes just because they see you and your bf living a happy, stable, self-sufficient life. These people are not going to learn anything from your example except that you have money and things that they want from you. They've already taken advantage of your kindness and generosity so they know that you are a sucker for a sob story. They don't want your example. They want your money. And once they get your money (be it $20 for dinner or $1500 for a car), they'll just spend it and continue to see themselves as entitled, helpless, (but smugly religious and virtuous) victims of society.

Please do take the advise you've been given to check on and guard your credit. I know a good-hearted man who once let his deadbeat younger brother live with him in the hopes that providing him with free lodgings and 'a good example' would inspire the brother to change his attitudes and get a job. Instead, the younger brother opened several credit cards in his brother's name, intercepted the mail so that my friend never knew what was going on, ran up thousands in unpaid credit card debt, and completely destroyed my friend's credit rating. All the while, the younger brother claimed that he loved his older brother but he just needed the money, and he figured that his older brother would be able to pay all the money back or else just scam the banks and not pay it back. Either way, he didn't care.

I'd recommend that you keep as much distance between you and these people as you can. You may not want to completely cut them out because they are your bf's family. I understand that. But don't go out of your way to initiate any contact with them. See if they reach out to you and your bf instead. If they do, see if they just want to see you for companionship, or because they have some ulterior motive which will usually end up being some sort of sob story to get at your cash.
I disagree. I grew up in absolute and complete poverty and dysfunction and managed to make my life a very different one for myself and my children. I credit people who did lead by example for my ability to do that. My grandparents for showing me a loving marital relationship. Some friends of the family for showing me a functional loving family, a few teachers for showing me ambition, and a counselor for showing me about healing and growth.

To the OP, I think you just have to really set firm boundaries. Here is another resource for good boundaries http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Have-Make.../dp/0140286438

Old 08-05-2015, 02:14 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,401,751 times
[quote]

Quote:
Ok, looks like some of you know more about these
people than I do, so I might as well ask my question here.

I have observed this for years. Why are poor people the pickiest eaters out
there? Common sense tells me if your resources are limited wouldn't you be
happy with anything?

A couple weeks ago, we took the sisters out to lunch. Sister 1 ordered a
typical chicken fingers with french fries meal. This was an honest to god
restaurant, by the way, and not a fast food joint. Sister 2 was going to order
the same thing as 1 when my boyfriend suggested she tried something else. So,
she chose some kind if burger. When they brought it out, she looked at it and
yelled out EWWWWW WHAT IS THAT WHAT IS THAT? Everyone in the restaurant looked
over at us. Well, it was just cheese. She went on to making faces at it
started acting like she was about to vomit. I asked the waitress to wrap it up
for me and she went ahead and ordered chicken fingers. And that was 100%
American food, too.

That's just 1 example out of many. I used to work for habitat for humanity
and I observed this many times over. Very poor people getting grossed out by
anything other than french fries, pizza, or cheeseburger. Shouldn't they
take every opportunity to try out something new, especially when they're not
paying for it?[/quote]
Sort answer - Because when you are poor - you can't afford to take chances.

I grew up very, very poor and frequently hungry. For a short while, my mom signed us up for free lunches at school. That lasted a few weeks until my father found out we were taking charity. Anyway, I always went with the chicken-fries-milk type option. Later as a foster parent, I noticed my kiddos were the same way. Recently, I read about food stamps and why even when produce is brought into "food deserts' (inner city type places with out a lot of fresh produce) people don't buy it.

Basically - when you know it's your only chance at food you can't afford to make a mistake and order/by something you might not like or isn't good. If a middle class person orders something they don't like at a restaurant - they can order a second entrée or get something else at home, etc.

Sometimes when I cut open produce - it's not good. I bought some blueberries the other day that looked beautiful but were horribly mealy - into the trash they went. I was bummed but it didn't mean that there wasn't enough food to go around.

Last edited by Bakeneko; 08-05-2015 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 02:48 PM

83 posts, read 130,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I disagree. I grew up in absolute and complete poverty and dysfunction and managed to make my life a very different one for myself and my children. I credit people who did lead by example for my ability to do that. My grandparents for showing me a loving marital relationship. Some friends of the family for showing me a functional loving family, a few teachers for showing me ambition, and a counselor for showing me about healing and growth.

To the OP, I think you just have to really set firm boundaries. Here is another resource for good boundaries I Don't Have to Make Everything All Better: Gary Lundberg, Joy Lundberg: 9780140286434: Amazon.com: Books
I'm glad that you had good people in your life who helped you to find your way out of poverty and dysfunction. I don't think that anyone should be stuck living in a poor and/or dysfunctional environment. Did you have these people in your life while you were growing up, or did they help you after you were an adult or both?

Old 08-05-2015, 03:31 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Quote:
Well, cutting them off completely from my life might be the easiest thing for me, but is it really necessary?

Suppose we continue letting them hang out with us but when they ask for money or moving in then it's a no no?

I'm thinking we can slowly lead by example. I have a secure career. My boyfriend is getting straight A's in college. Our relationship is 3 years in and going strong. We don't argue. We live very frugally.

While I understand everyone's concern, and I really really appreciate it, not trying to change their way of thinking kinda goes against my principles.

I will read the linked materials and see if there's something I can show to the sisters.
Of course you can be compassionate, and try to lead by example. Something to think about though, is sometimes people's motives for "helping" is to make themselves feel better. They can say to themselves, "I am such a good person because I have given this or that", when actually, by giving they only enable the behavior.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:55 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,123,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Of course you can be compassionate, and try to lead by example. Something to think about though, is sometimes people's motives for "helping" is to make themselves feel better. They can say to themselves, "I am such a good person because I have given this or that", when actually, by giving they only enable the behavior.
Oh, trust me, I'm not doing this to feel good. As it stands, we're not giving them anything except to keep talking to them about these issues.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:21 PM

563 posts, read 525,250 times
The girl that wants to have a baby, "to make everything alright," is obviously immature or perhaps borderline retarded herself. She has relayed to you that the Dr. says that if she has a little "bundle o' love," that it may have mental problems. The fruit does not fall far from the tree. Your house sounds disgusting, purely from a hygienic point of view. Lose the dog. Lose the relatives. This world is full of "clingers on." You are too young to already have such a menagerie. Lighten your load.

Focus on your own life. I would suggest a therapist. You can find many that will see you an "ability to pay" cost. Don't do this alone. Enlist some help. Take charge of your house/life. Please share how it works out.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,672,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
The girl that wants to have a baby, "to make everything alright," is obviously immature or perhaps borderline retarded herself. She has relayed to you that the Dr. says that if she has a little "bundle o' love," that it may have mental problems. The fruit does not fall far from the tree. Your house sounds disgusting, purely from a hygienic point of view. Lose the dog. Lose the relatives. This world is full of "clingers on." You are too young to already have such a menagerie. Lighten your load.

Focus on your own life. I would suggest a therapist. You can find many that will see you an "ability to pay" cost. Don't do this alone. Enlist some help. Take charge of your house/life. Please share how it works out.
The OP does not live in the house (actually an apartment) he described. The family of his boyfriend does. I have not seen anything that would suggest that the OP needs therapy, though I do think he would be better served by doing more of his thinking with his head, instead of his heart, when it comes to dealing with the BF's family.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:33 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clea6243 View Post

It can even get worse than the stories that people have shared.

An elderly friend of our family took a middle aged widow & her kids "under his wing". At first everything was wonderful. She did some cleaning, cooking and housekeeping for him and also drove him grocery shopping and to other places. He paid her for about 15 to 20 hours of work a week and it was strictly professional. A few months later he noticed how her young daughters did not have warm winter coats or hats or mittens during the Wisconsin winter so he bought them those items out of the goodness of his heart. He would also occasionally buy them toys or books.

Over the next two or three years, the woman stopped doing any work for him but threatened to beat him up (he was in his early 80s and very fragile) if he stopped paying her for "working". Then his young teenage daughters started stealing money from him and using his credit cards. He was really afraid of her & her daughters but was embarrassed to tell anyone.

But, it got worse. The Mom told him that he needed to buy her and her older daughter cars and if he refused she would cause "trouble" for him. He refused. Mom & her daughters went to the police and claimed that he had raped both daughters numerous times over several years. He was charged and held in jail while this was being sorted out. Thankfully, the Mom & girls had slipped up and had listed dates that they claimed he had raped them that were in impossible (he was in the hospital or out of the state) & made other errors and the district attorney dropped the case before it could go to trial.

But, he became a broken man, he had lost most of his money to those cheats, spent thousands of dollars on attorney fees, many of his friends and acquaintances would have noting to do with him after they read the front page headlines that he was accused of raping two girls. He had a massive stroke and died shortly after all of this.

It was a real shame. He had Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinner with my family for years and I knew him as a sweet, gentle, caring man. What those cheats did to him was disgusting.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:55 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,123,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post

I don't think you've read my posts correctly.

Just to clear up any misunderstanding.

*MY HOUSE (1600 square feet)*
  1. Me
  2. My boyfriend
  3. My 2 beagles
  4. My 6 tarantulas

*MY BOYFRIEND'S PARENTS' APARTMENT (700-800 square feet)*
  1. Boyfriend's dad
  2. Boyfriend's mom
  3. Boyfriend's sister #1
  4. Boyfriend's sister #2
  5. Boyfriend's sister #2's boyfriend
  6. Boyfriend's sister #1's baby
  7. Boyfriend's dad's full grown pitbull
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships