Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,158,240 times

Advertisements

Every year, on the last work day before the Jewish New Year (a floating holiday) I send out an e-mail blast greeting. Usually I have a picture of a Jewish shofar or rams' horn. Below is a missive I plan to send out in early September, in anticipation of the Jewish New Year. The picture will still be there but the message is not a happy one.

I have discussed one such situation on here, Starting to Think of Unfriending "Real Life" Close Friend , involving someone who has been a close friend since 1972. I have had no arguments or disagreements with any of my erstwhile friends, colleagues and acquaintances. Except for perfunctory condolence notes and in some cases small donations to our synagogue, it has been "radio silence" from many. Two of my friends, my wife and my two children have stuck by me; that's it.

Normally, I am a happy and optimistic person. I do not enjoy writing in this manner. I plan on making myself the primary addressee, with a blind copy to my real life friends and acquaintances, present and former.

I would like suggestions or edits to my little missive below.

================================================== =======================
Normally, at this season I send out a "happy new year" communication. I cannot do so this year.

Over the past three years, I have had a never – ending stream of losses. My wife, children and siblings have been devoted through these three difficult years. Unfortunately, I have lost my job, and a good portion of my remaining friends and acquaintances during this period.

Hopefully, there is dawn after the darkness. I anticipate and expect things will get better. On that note, I wish all of my friends, past, present and future a happy and healthy new year.

Last edited by jbgusa; 08-11-2015 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 06:16 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,805,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Normally, at this season I send out a "happy new year" communication. I cannot do so this year.
But you do exactly what you say you cannot do here....
Quote:
On that note, I wish all of my friends, past, present and future a happy and healthy new year.

Quote:
Over the past three years, I have had a never – ending stream of losses. My wife, children and siblings have been devoted through these three difficult years. Unfortunately, I have lost my job, and a good portion of my remaining friends and acquaintances during this period.
Your friends that you are sending this to already know all that, right? No need to dwell on the negative....

Quote:
Hopefully, there is dorm after the darkness. I wish and expected things will get better.
Dorm??
Wish and expected... or wish and expect?

Personally, I would not send this out at all. What do you expect to get from doing so?

Old 08-11-2015, 06:19 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,213,019 times
Quote:
Every year, on the last work day before the Jewish New Year (a floating holiday) I send out an e-mail blast greeting. Usually I have a picture of a Jewish shofar or rams' horn. Below is a missive I plan to send out in early September, in anticipation of the Jewish New Year. The picture will still be there but the message is not a happy one.

I have discussed one such situation on here, Starting to Think of Unfriending "Real Life" Close Friend , involving someone who has been a close friend since 1972. I have had no arguments or disagreements with any of my erstwhile friends, colleagues and acquaintances. Except for perfunctory condolence notes and in some cases small donations to our synagogue, it has been "radio silence" from many. Two of my friends, my wife and my two children have stuck by me; that's it.

Normally, I am a happy and optimistic person. I do not enjoy writing in this manner. I plan on making myself the primary addressee, with a blind copy to my real life friends and acquaintances, present and former.

I would like suggestions or edits to my little missive below.

================================================== =======================

Hopefully, there is dorm after the darkness. I wish and expected things will get better. On that note, I wish all of my friends, past, present and future a happy and healthy new year.
What is the point of your email?

IMHO, either send your usually holiday greeting (perhaps, briefer) or do not send any at all.

The people who stood by you know who they are and what does it matter about the rest of your fair-weather friends.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Dorm??
Wish and expected... or wish and expect?
Both errors fixed. Thank you.

Quote:
But you do exactly what you say you cannot do here....

Your friends that you are sending this to already know all that, right? No need to dwell on the negative....Personally, I would not send this out at all. What do you expect to get from doing so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
What is the point of your email?

IMHO, either send your usually holiday greeting (perhaps, briefer) or do not send any at all.

The people who stood by you know who they are and what does it matter about the rest of your fair-weather friends.
The point of the email is to call out the 10 or so people to which this applies. I have done lots for them over the years, professionally and personally. Never did I expect to have a summer with few tennis games, no dinner plans with other couples, and, as I pointed out in the link, actual hang-ups on phone calls without a return call at a better time.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:44 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,805,311 times
Quote:

The point of the email is to call out the 10 or so people to which this applies.
That's pretty petty, and puts you in a bad light.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,693,227 times
Quote:
That's pretty petty, and puts you in a bad light.
Agree. The whole email seems whining and juvenile. If you're that angry send them a personal note, call, or do what other people do - cut them out of your life.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:21 PM

22,512 posts, read 12,057,887 times
----------------------------------------------------------

Instead of the above ^How about writing something like this?:
-----------------------------------------------------------

The past three years have been difficult ones. I'm thankful for my wife, children, siblings and my friends who have been devoted through these three years.

I anticipate and expect things will get better. On that note,I wish all of my family and friends a happy and healthy new year.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Then leave it at that. Your true friends will know that you are talking about them. Perhaps, with your true friends, to reinforce your message, put a personal note in the email that goes to them letting them know how much they mean to you and thank them for sticking with you.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:45 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,363,924 times
You are using a Happy New Year's message as a way to "call out" others?

Resentments possibly?

It is not your place to "call out" others. If they did something all that bad, Karma will do it for you. And losing a job and having losses and pain is a part of life. Some people don't deal very well with other people going through rough times and will take off like roaches do when a light is turned on. I lost a baby when she was 2 days old. I had some "friends" and family members say nothing to me. I had people I barely knew come to me during that painful time.

Try to release the negative thoughts towards others, move on with your life and make next year a better one. Be grateful for your family and anyone who has been there for you. Be conscientious to be there for them as well when they need a shoulder to lean on.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 PM

I will re-read these thoughts, and thank you for your posts. Hopefully there will be more.

It does seem that no one understands that calling your closes friend, to tell him that your mother died and being hung up on hurts. Especially when the called person says, "I can't talk now but before I hang up, set aside the night of May 2 for my daughter's wedding." And says "uh-huh" when I mention my mother's parting.

Does anyone get that that is not something that you "let go of" so easily?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:50 PM

22,512 posts, read 12,057,887 times
Quote:
I will re-read these thoughts, and thank you for your posts. Hopefully there will be more.

It does seem that no one understands that calling your closes friend, to tell him that your mother died and being hung up on hurts. Especially when the called person says, "I can't talk now but before I hang up, set aside the night of May 2 for my daughter's wedding." And says "uh-huh" when I mention my mother's parting.

Does anyone get that that is not something that you "let go of" so easily?
I get it! It was a horrible thing for this so-called friend to do to you.

The best thing to do is to completely cut off someone like that. I've had people that I thought were friends who got to the point where the only time they called me was when they wanted something. Once I picked up the pattern, I didn't call them again.

And, yes, it is hard to let go of so easily. However, it must be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships