Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:10 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,739,895 times

Advertisements

I dated a British guy when I was in school, and I have to say: he was a doormat!! Now his sister, being British as well, had a very strong personality. So, I'm thinking that it has nothing to do with where they came from.

Just my honest opinion, from my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 04:43 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,738,173 times
My response to this thread comes in two fold: one to the OP, one to everyone else.

OP: Any time you post in a public forum, you should take care to be "politically correct" if you can't stand the heat of easily offended people. Sweeping generalizations have never been true nor have they ever been well-received in intellectual circles. Now, there are still generalizations being made but those who make them come in two categories---1) they don't know what they're getting into or 2) They dont' give a hoot what others think.

Everyone else: It should be recognized that people from older generations tend to have a different outlook on life. Remember that our grandmothers and sometimes our mothers (depending on what era they lived through) have lived through times quite different from ours-----times that made sweeping generalizations about Jews, about Blacks, about Women, about Vietnamese...and it was accepted at the time. We should be a little more cognizant of these differences and not be so quick to jump down people's throats like a barbaric bunch of wolves. Even my own grandmother, sweet lady that she is and God rest her soul, once asked me, "Why Black people act the way they do? Its like they've gone to dig some coal every day and the way their kids act are like monkeys." Did she have mal intent? No. But being the little old lady that she was that just came to the United States, that was what she saw and she didn't see a reason not to put it the way she saw it.

Let's all get along now, shall we?

Old 02-02-2008, 08:29 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,831,807 times
Good post SmerkyGrl
I think the OP was just posing a question and didn't mean to offend. I don't think it is really any different than an American wondering if people in France are rude, if those of us living in the Northeast are standoffish, if everyone in Utah is a Mormon, if every Texan owns a gun and so on...
I think that intelligent conversation is the first step to eliminating the sweeping generalizations.
My grandmother had a brother that was killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor and until the day she died she referred to all Asians as those d*mn Japs. During her time people didn't have as many outlets such as this for discussing, and I think that as long as it is kept civil it is a good thing.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,068,218 times
My former dance partner was British and he always wanted the best for me. I am now back in CA and dancing with a different partner - for logistical reasons - and my British former partner STILL wishes me the best and wants me to dance well and win - even though I may run up against him and a new partner at some point in competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships