Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 04:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times

Advertisements

The only country I like is Johnny Cash and Darius Rucker. I only like Darius because we went to college together.

Otherwise I don't care for country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
I have a very narrow taste in music and I admit it. I like most classical music and a few bits and pieces of other genres and that's it. And it's not from lack of exposure. Most musical styles that have been popular since, say, the 1960s make me feel bad, like physically bad. I don't care what my friends listen to, but I don't go to concerts with them.

The only thing that bothers me is when people (*cough* my husband *cough*) insist that I listen to a certain song because they love it so much and it's so meaningful to them and they want to share it with me and not having someone to share their music with makes them feel lonely and unloved.

I know I will hate it and it will make me feel either depressed or like my skin is crawling and I want to run away. Then they will ask me how I liked the song and I have to be polite and not say I hated it. Uugggggh.

Please. Listen to whatever you want, and I will happily be your friend, but do not coax, cajole or emotionally manipulate people who do not care for your style of music to listen to it. Just don't.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:50 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times
I like any music that is done well.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:31 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Weird, I know. Born & raised listening to Country. I breathe country music. Do you find hard relating to people that don't listen to your kind of music? I'm closer to people that share my music tastes
I've got Clint Black playing as I type this.

I can't relate to people that don't much care for music period.

Limiting it to just Country is weird, LOL, if you wanna start to drop labels.

All forms of music are great, but I get what you mean, it's pretty normal to want people in your circle of friends to be into the same things.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:36 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
Most people don't listen to my kind of music, so it has never been an issue. They relate to me, and I to them, in spite of it. In fact, most people are surprised to learn what I listen to. Let's just say that a 40-something woman with an anchorwoman hairdo who finds Marilyn Manson to be tame is a bit of an oddity. But that's the point.
Check out the new Slayer disc... it's a grower, a little slow to get into, but man it's growing on me...

Old 10-10-2015, 02:35 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
It sure does matter if you like having music on in the background most of the time and for where you might go out or in the car together.
When we were snowbirding, I had to buy CDs just to get through 3 southern states that I swear have no radio stations other than Country or Christian.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:01 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,638 times
I want to like country music, but I can't get past how it sounds.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:13 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
If you are constantly playing music and your friends hate the type you play, I can see why you may not be compatible. I usually listen to music more when I am alone, anyway. When I'm with friends, I want to enjoy the conversation.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:15 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,695 times
Quote:
Weird, I know. Born & raised listening to Country. I breathe country music. Do you find hard relating to people that don't listen to your kind of music? I'm closer to people that share my music tastes

Well, many of us can't relate to you.

No biggie.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:16 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,567,974 times
Quote:

Everyone has their own taste. I can't relate to those who do love country music. I grew up around it and I don't like it. I don't like hard rock either or rap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships