Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 12:18 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times

Advertisements

Blake Shelton calls just about every guy on The Voice "buddy" and it seems to be a friendly exchange.

On the other hand, I have heard guys use "buddy" in an insulting tone.

To me, it's more about the tone and attitude than the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 02:00 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
I never hear "buddy" anymore. I only observe men calling each other "dude." "Hey, dude," "Thanks, dude," "Love you, dude," "Are you crazy, dude?" Etc., etc. They sound like aging surfers.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:15 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Personally, I consider "buddy" to be an insult because it is said in a condescending tone to my typically.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:31 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,120,475 times
I think in the South using "buddy" is a friendly term, but in the North it is a territorial and defensive thing to say to another person.

I have one uncle that lived in Kentucky during what I think was an impressionable time for speech development, and he calls people buddy a lot, but in a very soft and friendly way. Think Blake Shelton-ish like someone said above.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
I'm not a guy...but I always think it's kind of condescending when it's said man-to-man. (Or if said during an argument, it's kind of threatening/putting the person down/making the person feel small.) In general I tend to think of "buddy" as something a much older person says to a very small child to make the child feel good - like the two of them are (could possibly be) "real buddies." Therefore, man-to-man, it's more condescending. JMO.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:39 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I may be reading too much into this but it seems like when a random guy calls me "buddy" they're doing it in a condescending way as if speaking to me like I'm a kid. I only say "buddy" to kids or friends kids like "hey buddy"etc. For instance I work in customer service and I notice that if I'm dealing with a type a guy (usually the" bro" type) and I'm sort of speaking "stronger/louder" than he is they get slightly defensive and dismissive with me speaking in very short answers etc and almost always referring to me as buddy when I refer to them as sir. Almost trying to tell me they're the "alpha" and or something. Guys do you do this or am I crazy? I know I don't do it simply because I'm not a d bag.
Your last sentence tells me all I need to know. Without waiting to hear any responses to your question, you make it clear that to you, anyone who calls you buddy is a d bag. Why bother asking the question?

Old 11-28-2015, 03:56 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Truly good friends don't call each other "buddy". At least I've never heard them call each other that. It can be used in kind of condescending way, not necessarily talking to you like you're a kid, but trust me you're not really their "buddy" when they say that. I heard the guys who stopped the French train attack earlier this year referred to the guy they were holding down as "buddy" at one point. Saying something like "don't move buddy". I don't think it's always derogatory but in your case I sense a slight negative attitude towards you by the customers.
Much of it will depend on the person saying it.
For example buddy can be an affectionate term for someone, just like some Aussies say "mate". Even if a Canadian says "come on boys", it does not mean he is speaking down to them, it is just a common phrase that they use.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:19 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
It really depends. In some parts of this country it is used as a term of endearment.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:14 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Blake Shelton calls just about every guy on The Voice "buddy" and it seems to be a friendly exchange.

On the other hand, I have heard guys use "buddy" in an insulting tone.

To me, it's more about the tone and attitude than the word.
Yep your right. I have heard Blake use that several times. I know lots of people in this area who do use it that way so it might just be a southern thing. Blake grew up about 30 mins away from here.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:48 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I may be reading too much into this but it seems like when a random guy calls me "buddy" they're doing it in a condescending way as if speaking to me like I'm a kid. I only say "buddy" to kids or friends kids like "hey buddy"etc. For instance I work in customer service and I notice that if I'm dealing with a type a guy (usually the" bro" type) and I'm sort of speaking "stronger/louder" than he is they get slightly defensive and dismissive with me speaking in very short answers etc and almost always referring to me as buddy when I refer to them as sir. Almost trying to tell me they're the "alpha" and or something. Guys do you do this or am I crazy? I know I don't do it simply because I'm not a d bag.
I agree. Among middle aged men, it's condescending. They don't want to give you the respect that comes with using your given name. Like remembering it. And using it as intended.

He's pulling rank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships