Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 04:31 PM

51,345 posts, read 37,022,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I do not trust her to be professional enough to hear that information. My condition needs to stay private, because I hold a job where I'm constantly working with people. If word were to get out that I'm autistic, I wonder how long they would keep me as a teacher. Sharing this, unless it's in a setting where it's likely to be kept confidential, is a no-no. I've shared a bit too liberally already, and it dramatically affected, negatively, how others perceived me professionally, for the most part.

Plus, at this point, nothing will fix this. I just hope I didn't upset the manager too badly, because she was nice to me in the past.
KMB I guarantee that expereinced educators are well aware you are on the spectrumm as well as OCD. To much of your behavior makes it obvious you are different in a way that strongly suggests a social disorder. I actually think it's worse to ust let people think you are odd and difficult for no reason than for them to know you have a legitimate reason to lack normal adult social skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 04:44 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,601,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
KMB I guarantee that expereinced educators are well aware you are on the spectrumm as well as OCD. To much of your behavior makes it obvious you are different in a way that strongly suggests a social disorder. I actually think it's worse to ust let people think you are odd and difficult for no reason than for them to know you have a legitimate reason to lack normal adult social skills.
I try to keep my problem well hidden, even at the expense of seeming "rude" or "odd." It may be true that those who have experience with autism may know, but I feel like there are people out there who have no experience with it who don't know and would not even try to understand; they would just read it as an excuse and maybe a way to get me fired. I have shared my diagnosis with the special education teacher where I work, but that's probably enough.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:16 PM

5,303 posts, read 5,273,786 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm still not explaining this well enough. I didn't start asking them to remake things until they started offering. How was I supposed to know that it was getting to the point that it was too much? Why did they offer to begin with if they didn't want me to request a remake if I didn't like what I ordered? I gave you that chair analogy earlier. Why did they invite me to do something they were displeased with? How was I supposed to know if it was getting out of hand or not?

If you answer "common sense." Well, it's another one of those gray areas I hate so much. The bottom line, though, is if the store hadn't offered the first few times it probably would have never occurred to me to order a remake unless I just couldn't tolerate it.
Once or twice is being generous towards you. Did you really think you could just do this over and over and it would be okay? If you ordered a flavor combination and you didnt like it, thats on you. Its not their fault. They were nice once or twice, but after that, you have to take responsibility for what you ordered.

Put yourself in their shoes. They dont give away their product. You arent a charity. If you order a flavor and dont like it from now on, just dont order it again.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:20 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,941,118 times
Quote:
Once, I ordered a dark chocolate flavored smoothie with a vegetable
Well, there's your problem.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:40 PM

221 posts, read 426,363 times
Quote:
Recently,

I went to the smoothie shop and ordered a smoothie because they have specials on Fridays. I tasted it and it just tasted wrong; it had an aftertaste kind of like the cherry flavoring of cough syrup. This particular shop offered to remake my order a few times and did not refuse me when I requested to have an order remade, so I went back in to see if they could fix it. The manager stepped in, accused me of "always coming in and requesting to have smoothies remade." I did ask to have a few remade, but it certainly wasn't every time or even most of the time. I was embarrassed and upset, so I told her to just throw it away. I wasn't too mean; I just firmly told her to throw it away, but I was thinking that she acted quite unprofessionally. Plus, if this was really an issue, why didn't she say something the first couple of times I requested to have something remade. She could have just said, "I'm sorry; we don't do that here."

I'm not really sure how to respond. I don't think I'm ever going to buy anything from that particular smoothie shop ever again as long as she is the manager, or if I do I will probably wait a bit until this event is forgotten. I'm also wondering why she felt the need to say all of that to me in front of all of those customers without saying anything before. In my opinion, that was a bit passive aggressive, wasn't it? I still feel a little bad, though, for getting upset. I've thought about calling and apologizing, but I really feel like she owes me an apology.

I know this isn't Starbucks, but Starbucks has what they call the "barista promise". Which is as they say
"love your beverage or let us know and we'll always make it right." How that works: they will remake your beverage every time unless you love your drink regardless of often you have asked to have a beverage remade in the past.

My opinion the manager acted unprofessional about the whole thing. She could have tried to get to the bottom of the issue with your smoothies and try to work on making your experience better since you clearly weren't happy with many of their smoothies. However, instead of the smoothie shop looking into how they can improve their smoothies and make your store experience better; she makes like you're the problem.

There's a saying that I think every company should live by "the customer is always right"

Old 12-06-2015, 08:47 PM

29,798 posts, read 34,609,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post

There's a saying that I think every company should live by "the customer is always right"
Except that anyone who's ever worked in a customer service job knows that certain customers are not always right.

From the OP's examples, it sounds like she went "off menu", didn't like the result, and expected a free replacement. If they mess up, that's one thing, but if you get exactly what you ordered and just don't like it, that's a learning experience.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 PM

221 posts, read 426,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Except that anyone who's ever worked in a customer service job knows that certain customers are not always right.

From the OP's examples, it sounds like she went "off menu", didn't like the result, and expected a free replacement. If they mess up, that's one thing, but if you get exactly what you ordered and just don't like it, that's a learning experience.

I concur with you somewhat. However, for customer satisfaction they could have just said this for example: okay you don't like chocolate and vegetable smoothie let me remake your drink but this time lets stick to something that you know you like. Lets say she like banana and strawberries smoothie. The manager could have said okay let me make you a banana strawberry smoothie at no charge.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:22 PM

809 posts, read 1,336,101 times
Imagine if every customer that ordered a smoothie asked for a remake. The store would be out of business. The policy is they will remake it. But if you are unhappy so many times, find another smoothie store. Did it ever occur to you that the manager was frustrated.
As far as your idea that they could just put it back in the blender and then reblend, that won't work. They have rules to follow in the food industry. After you drank out of the cup, they can't reblend it. They would be in trouble with the Dept of Health.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,728,145 times
Quote:
It's not even about the food; it's the audacity of someone to think that I'm not worth being spoken to civilly. Plus, if it were really a problem, why didn't they say anything before? It makes no sense. No one said anything, like, "um, ma'am, we know we offered to remake the smoothie once or twice when you were here, but we're getting to where we can't do it. I'm sorry. Maybe next time try a better flavor?" There was very little effort to be courteous.

Because they don't want you coming back. Clearly, they know you well enough as a chronic complainer.

Who even goes back to a place after it happens more than once?

Next time, make one at home or go somewhere else.

They don't want to go out of business due to food costs over one customer.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,728,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Imagine if every customer that ordered a smoothie asked for a remake. The store would be out of business. The policy is they will remake it. But if you are unhappy so many times, find another smoothie store. Did it ever occur to you that the manager was frustrated.
As far as your idea that they could just put it back in the blender and then reblend, that won't work. They have rules to follow in the food industry. After you drank out of the cup, they can't reblend it. They would be in trouble with the Dept of Health.

This! They probably dread seeing come through the door, knowing it will be problematic. It's a smoothie for God's sake, OP isn't buying a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships