Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2022, 10:31 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,052,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
There is not a positive correlation between not liking sports and intelligence. As I posted references above, sports fans live better lives and have more success ON AVERAGE.
Huh?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 10:33 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,681,583 times
As proof of the lengths sports fans will go in order that they can feel better about their fanatical relationship with all sports. Just read through the posts here that reflect both the fans and the non fans views of sports. Most of those I've known through my life that were avid sports fans, seemed a bit more "involved" with the peripheral minutiae of statistical banter that passes for conversation in sports fan circles.

In fairness to all, I'd also point out that most of the car nuts I hung out with in my youth were similarly afflicted with their particular brand of fanatical obsession. Hunters, boaters, cyclists, musicians, etc, all seemed to be taken with that trait of constantly "talking shop" and apparently never realizing that their conversational "victims" were just not following up with equal enthusiasm.

I get that we all have our own interests, I also know that the true fanatic, regardless of what their particular obsession may be, can quickly become a real bore. And, the fact that the fanaticism with regard to NFL, NBA, games seems to have become commodified and mass marketed, is proof that most of that fan base are simply followers of the merch pedalers. The shirts, shoes, caps, the memorabilia, the booze, the tailgate "parties," are all part of that mass marketing schemes necessary to gin up the supposed "excitement" of it all.

As I've stated, I do like to see the best players do what they do best, but the entirety of that team competitiveness stuff is for the fanatical followers, mostly young and mostly looking for something to alleviate the boredom of their lives. We're all fans of something, and we all love to talk about our interests, but giving the others a chance to express their individual likes and dislikes only seems fair. So sports fans: Give it a rest once in awhile...

Old 09-12-2022, 10:36 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,052,275 times
Quote:
There is not a positive correlation between not liking sports and intelligence. As I posted references above, sports fans live better lives and have more success ON AVERAGE.
You changed “in general” to “on average” which is why I gave my original reply.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:11 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,010,154 times
Quote:
www.elitedaily.com/life/competitive-people-better/1174286
14 Reasons Why Competitive People Are Better In Life, Business And Love
14 opinions, no evidence, nor any attempt to gather evidence
(nor even a careful definition of who is or isn't "competitive").
And a web site that says its emails are for "celeb intel, astrology and dating advice..."
is not a site I'd look to for careful analysis.

Quote:
www.rvia.org/news-insights/report-suggests-college-sports-fans-should-be-target-audience-brands-focused-higher-income-consumers#:~:text=Importantly%2C%20according%20to% 20the%20report,have%20incomes%20greater%20than%20% 24150%2C000.

Importantly, according to the report, college sports fans are 1.6 times more likely to have incomes higher than $100,000 compared to the overall U.S. population. Of the 42% of college sports fans who are female, 31% of female “Known Fans” have incomes greater than $150,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Perhaps college sports fans are 1.6 times more likely to have graduated college.
Indeed. And of course having a degree is associated with higher incomes.

Quote:
There is not a positive correlation between not liking sports and intelligence.
As I posted references above, sports fans live better lives and have more success ON AVERAGE.
You haven't shown that there isn't such a correlation... nor have other posts here shown that there is.
Maybe the issue has never been studied. Have researchers ever compared Mensa members' level of interest in sports
to that of the general population? That might be one way to look into the question.

You certainly haven't shown that sports fans "live better lives" than non-fans.

Btw, I don't hate sports. Some people posting here have summarized
their sports "biographies" in their posts. Maybe I'll do mine, in another post.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:46 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,580,918 times
I'm not bashing anyone who is into sports - It's just never been a huge passion of mine. I don't "hate" sports (except maybe football). For a while I was quite into college basketball, but kids, life, work took the priority and I can't really be bothered anymore. I'm more into my kids sporting events than any other sport these days. However, as a male - I do find it tricky to navigate certain social situations where the conversations always seem to trickle over to sports. I'm talking events with people who I am not close to. I feel like the guy with 3 heads when I have to sheepishly admit that I am not an avid sports follower.

"hey - did you catch that play on Sunday" - um. no I didn't.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:21 AM

2,565 posts, read 2,686,848 times
There's a lot of things one can do in life. Sports never really caught my attention because growing up, I wasn't good at them most of the time, and most of the people I knew who played them weren't very nice to me. I was naturally good at some more nerdy things. So, even if I felt left out, which I was pretty much all the time, I had my own laurels I could stand on for being naturally good at more nerdy things.

I only like looking at pretty people, the commercials, and the food at parties potentially and maybe even making the food if given the opportunity or doing Lyft. Doing sports is okay for me, but it's only okay because I'm never able to build deep friendships with any of my teammates. Not everyone joins to make new friends or they already have all the friends they need basically.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:45 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,106,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I'm not bashing anyone who is into sports - It's just never been a huge passion of mine. I don't "hate" sports (except maybe football). For a while I was quite into college basketball, but kids, life, work took the priority and I can't really be bothered anymore. I'm more into my kids sporting events than any other sport these days. However, as a male - I do find it tricky to navigate certain social situations where the conversations always seem to trickle over to sports. I'm talking events with people who I am not close to. I feel like the guy with 3 heads when I have to sheepishly admit that I am not an avid sports follower.

"hey - did you catch that play on Sunday" - um. no I didn't.
Most middle aged men don't have the time to follow sports obsessively.

Those that do, I often envy. Just because of the time they have.

It's more typical to pick their favorite sport (which for me is college basketball) and follow that, and then follow the others as they can.

I'd be really surprised if a group of my friends got together, and even a majority of them could quote a play from a random game that wasn't a big playoff game or something.

The Sunday football thing, if you have time, can be a good way to keep in touch with people. I mean, you're never really sitting there in a bar, just fixated on every moment of the game. You're watching the game and talking about what's going on in each other's lives.

Not that particulars matter to people (not saying you). More fun to argue about generalizations.

That said, I can't even remember the last time I got together with a friend to watch a Sunday football game. It's a little sad.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:13 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,107,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Thank goodness my husband cares nothing for sports. I would never have dated him if he were. It's incredibly boring to watch sports or to listen to people talking about sports.
Is your "husband" a woman, by chance?

Old 09-14-2022, 10:15 AM

Never trust a man who's not into sports.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:23 AM

On a serious note, it is EXTREMELY rare to meet an American male who is not into ANY sports, and I find that guys who don't follow or like any types of sports are often very awkward around other groups of guys and find it hard to converse with them and fit in.

Not saying that sports is the only thing that men can talk about (now, wouldn't that be SEXIST ), but for instance, I know this one guy in particular whose wife rarely lets him out the house to hang out with any guys, and the few times that he does get around other men in a casual setting to relax and hang it, it's usually something centered around SPORTS, like at a bar to watch a fight or at another guy's house to watch the big game, etc. So, while all the other guys are enjoying the sporting event and talking about Sports and guy stuff in general, he's just sitting there avoiding talking about the game or the fight because he doesn't even know any of the rules or players, and instead trying to tell corny dad jokes and stuff, because he's literally not into sports, movies, or any stuff that most guys are typically into and talk about when they get around other guys. So yeah, sports is a BIG one for guys not to be into...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships