Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 07:06 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times

Advertisements

I love watching my kids play sports but I have no interest other than that. As a kid, I tried various team sports but they never interested me. I preferred things with engines, mountain biking, exploring, etc. As an adult i have friends that will watch football the entire day on Sunday and I think to myself, what a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 04:58 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Until that time I always assumed that every male was interested in sports as I grew up with them being such an integral part of my life. All of my friends were also into sports as well, so I never realized there were men out there that didn't share the same interests.

I used to be a Cincinnati Reds fan, mainly for Pete Rose. Dallas was my favorite team, actually my ONLY team.

Well, Rose got caught, and the "New Ego Players" started coming out, I quit, then when Jerry took a knee, I quit watching any football. Not even college.

I found out, I was a "fan" not a "fanatic" now? I might watch curling ro put me to sleep.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:07 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I used to be a Cincinnati Reds fan, mainly for Pete Rose. Dallas was my favorite team, actually my ONLY team.

Well, Rose got caught, and the "New Ego Players" started coming out, I quit, then when Jerry took a knee, I quit watching any football. Not even college.

I found out, I was a "fan" not a "fanatic" now? I might watch curling ro put me to sleep.
Funny combination. I was a Reds fan, Perez my favorite. Pretty much gave up on baseball after the strike that skipped the world series. I like sports competition, not millionaires competing over money.

Dallas was always my 2nd favorite team. But once i got married, I couldn't spend Saturdays and Sundays and my wife liked College football. So I don't pay much attention to pro football anymore.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:58 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I was never into sports and it hasn't grown on me. I'm a very heady person and have a sedentary profession. It didn't help that I developed lyme disease and was pretty crippled up for much of my adult life. I came to associate movement, much less exercise, with pain.

I'm cured now and value walking as exercise but I still can't even say I know most of the rules of any major sport. As to how I handle conversation, I mostly don't. There are lots of things to talk about other than sports, and people who can't talk about anything else are, to me, boors.

I think what appeals to people about sports is the competitive and tribal aspects of it. It's something to socially coalesce around that's non-threatening and transcends many differences humans can have. What it just boils down to me is that rather than go "WOO-HOO" I just go 'yay' (ironically). It just doesn't float my boat. I can't even pretend it's exciting to me. When I was growing up I remember flipping the (then limited) TV channels looking for something to watch and the baseball games just struck me as a lot of white noise from a crowd while some guy filled up the interminable periods between plays with boring comments about this or that player's prospects or recent exploits. Then something would happen and the crowd would roar and the announcer would narrate it. Rinse and repeat. *yawn*

Give me a good book any day.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:15 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
I love sports, it's the "something to watch" on the weekends. Originally from California, I'm Rams and dodgers all the way.

My brother has let go of many sports including Fantasy Football, too much political interference, he says. So it's the one thing I can talk to my Dad, 93, about. I've kinda lost interest in Nascar, but baseball and football will always be on my radar. My brother will watch the Ram's if it's available in his area. He does it to also talk to Dad about it.

There is nothing wrong with liking sports, it doesn't make you more manly or any of that BS. I like, for me, whatever entertainment it can provide plus knowing some of the players past, helps me to understand the games more.

Old 10-16-2022, 05:40 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I love watching my kids play sports but I have no interest other than that. As a kid, I tried various team sports but they never interested me. I preferred things with engines, mountain biking, exploring, etc. As an adult i have friends that will watch football the entire day on Sunday and I think to myself, what a waste.
I'm with you on all accounts.

I'd rather be in my workshop doing woodworking than wasting the day watching sports.my wife says that she loves it that I never made her into a, "SPORTS WIDOW". We also enjoy outside activities such a walking, lawn care, gardening and sometimes just sitting outside enjoying our home together.

Old 10-16-2022, 05:51 AM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

I could have written this. ^^^^

When Pete Rose chased the money and ledt the Reds was the beginning of the end foe me.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:24 AM

2,045 posts, read 785,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I'm with you on all accounts.

I'd rather be in my workshop doing woodworking than wasting the day watching sports.my wife says that she loves it that I never made her into a, "SPORTS WIDOW". We also enjoy outside activities such a walking, lawn care, gardening and sometimes just sitting outside enjoying our home together.

Funny how people on this forum feel superior because of their entertainment choices.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:29 AM

2,045 posts, read 785,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I could have written this. ^^^^

When Pete Rose chased the money and ledt the Reds was the beginning of the end foe me.
Wouldn't most people in the working world go for more money?

When Rose left Cincinnati, the Big Red Machine was over ... It wasn't just aboot the money for him, he was 38 years old and wanted another shot at being on a World Series winner. He got that with the Phillies.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:32 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Funny how people on this forum feel superior because of their entertainment choices.
What do you mean by that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships