Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2022, 10:26 AM

2,998 posts, read 3,110,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I'm not bashing anyone who is into sports - It's just never been a huge passion of mine. I don't "hate" sports (except maybe football). For a while I was quite into college basketball, but kids, life, work took the priority and I can't really be bothered anymore. I'm more into my kids sporting events than any other sport these days. However, as a male - I do find it tricky to navigate certain social situations where the conversations always seem to trickle over to sports. I'm talking events with people who I am not close to. I feel like the guy with 3 heads when I have to sheepishly admit that I am not an avid sports follower.

"hey - did you catch that play on Sunday" - um. no I didn't.
And that's totally understandable and fair. But you sound like you could AT LEAST follow a football game or something and understand what was going it and be able to talk about it, if you were in a setting where a bunch of guys were watching or discussing a game. I think the OP is talking about guys who wouldn't even touch sports with a 10 feet pole, which IS pretty abnormal among the average male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 10:37 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,691,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
On a serious note, it is EXTREMELY rare to meet an American male who is not into ANY sports, and I find that guys who don't follow or like any types of sports are often very awkward around other groups of guys and find it hard to converse with them and fit in.

Not saying that sports is the only thing that men can talk about (now, wouldn't that be SEXIST ), but for instance, I know this one guy in particular whose wife rarely lets him out the house to hang out with any guys, and the few times that he does get around other men in a casual setting to relax and hang it, it's usually something centered around SPORTS, like at a bar to watch a fight or at another guy's house to watch the big game, etc. So, while all the other guys are enjoying the sporting event and talking about Sports and guy stuff in general, he's just sitting there avoiding talking about the game or the fight because he doesn't even know any of the rules or players, and instead trying to tell corny dad jokes and stuff, because he's literally not into sports, movies, or any stuff that most guys are typically into and talk about when they get around other guys. So yeah, sports is a BIG one for guys not to be into...
Also, on a serious note, I find that a lot of people into sports obsessively aren't open to other things and tend to be in their own bubbles too much.
I enjoy being with people who are perceived as a little different as some of them tend to be more respectful emotionally to others then those who just focus on sports only.

Some of the people who like sports obsessively tend to be bullies when we were growing up as children with others kind of just following along- I think- human nature and kind of an overexaggeration, and you certainly hear stories of this kind of mentality for professional athletes in many sports too.

You have to pick your own interests and not necessarily like sports as everything takes up significant time. It is definitely good to be able to watch sports if you don't know the rules and such so that it's easier to be socially acquainted with others.

To the situation you describe, guy who can't talk sports or general guy talk with others should probably be playing games on his phone and not talking to others unless they initiate.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:58 AM

2,998 posts, read 3,110,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Also, on a serious note, I find that a lot of people into sports obsessively aren't open to other things and tend to be in their own bubbles too much.
I enjoy being with people who are perceived as a little different as some of them tend to be more respectful emotionally to others then those who just focus on sports only.

Some of the people who like sports obsessively tend to be bullies when we were growing up as children with others kind of just following along- I think- human nature and kind of an overexaggeration, and you certainly hear stories of this kind of mentality for professional athletes in many sports too.

You have to pick your own interests and not necessarily like sports as everything takes up significant time. It is definitely good to be able to watch sports if you don't know the rules and such so that it's easier to be socially acquainted with others.

To the situation you describe, guy who can't talk sports or general guy talk with others should probably be playing games on his phone and not talking to others unless they initiate.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
It's definitely fair to say that some guys who are SUPER into sports can be jock-like, intolerant meatheads about Sports. But I think that since the average guy IS into sports in some shape, form, or fashion, they just find it weird and curious when they meet the rare guy who has ZERO interest in/ZERO knowledge about ANY sports.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:19 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,691,807 times
Quote:
It's definitely fair to say that some guys who are SUPER into sports can be jock-like, intolerant meatheads about Sports. But I think that since the average guy IS into sports in some shape, form, or fashion, they just find it weird and curious when they meet the rare guy who has ZERO interest in/ZERO knowledge about ANY sports.
I appreciate that response.

I'd like to add that some people like only (certain) activities because they have a deep, personal connection with so and so.

I think there are some sports I would like more if a few people were more in-tuned to at least a few of my interests. Since I'm not good at sports most of the time, it tends to be a turn-off and I only do it temporarily because I care about my health. I dislike the gym because all these classes aren't able to determine a good pace and when you can't do it with a friend, an activity that might become fun doesn't feel fun to me. So, there's a personal factor for me in addition to consider if it's worth the investment for me to do said activity or not. (Of course, context can put us in situations where we might not like what we're doing etc.)

I used to be shy when I was very young, but people didn't realize that I was shy because I was scared of people's manipulation, over-selfishness and egos, and such rather than the activities themselves. I slowly learned how to "deal" with people better by trying out different activities and started off with things I had more of my bearings on. meetup.com helped a lot. Eventually, I was able to open myself up to things I liked less and have been healthier for me.

I do have good friends now, but there was a lot of luck involved.
I've had to drop activities because now I've done too many instead of not enough, and people don't always want to connect personally on a deeper level enough for me.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:20 PM

4,646 posts, read 3,023,632 times
There's a theme connecting some of the posts in this thread ---
if you're not interested in sports, you're strange, not a real guy, etc.

What an odd contradiction with the supposed "individualism" of this country.

Old 09-15-2022, 05:21 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,062,004 times
Quote:
Never trust a man who's not into sports.

Man, that's really weird. Don't trust them in what way?

Hey, I have my rooting interests in football and baseball. I watch my alma mater play faithfully every Saturday. I can even get into basketball if our team is good. If my team is playing a cupcake, I find better things to do.

But I have friends who just don't give a rip. Literally have no idea that football season is underway. They just have other interests. One guy packs up his car every Friday evening with his wife and goes camping. Another spends his weekends working on his horse farm outside the city. Occasionally, if we have a football watching party one or the other will drop by. But they're there for the conversation, not the game. Yet they are trustworthy, normal guys.

You strike me as really young, or struggling with maturity issues given this post of yours. You realize that sports is nothing more than entertainment, correct? That's it. Planting yourself in front of ESPN nights and weekends is hardly a requirement for manhood. I think way more about someone who spends weekends getting involved in a really cool hobby than staring glassy-eyed at a television screen twelve hours a day.

Don't get me wrong. Sports are great. They can make our lives richer and more fun. But they sure as hell aren't the end-all, be-all litmus test. In fact, the most boring people I know tend to be the ones who are most obsessed with sports.

Broaden your horizons, perhaps. You'll soon realize that there are millions of great people out there who just don't care what people do with a ball on a field.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 09-15-2022 at 05:29 AM..

Old 09-15-2022, 05:30 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,055,599 times
Seems a lot of guys equates sports loving as some sign of “alpha maleness” and that anyone who doesn’t give a crap about sports equates to “weakness” or being a pansy or something. That is far from the truth. Like the poster above, sports is entertainment and should be treated as such. It’s not that serious. I love my Georgia Bulldogs, but most of my weekends are consumed with diy projects around the house which gives me more pleasure.

Old 09-15-2022, 05:46 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,062,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Seems a lot of guys equates sports loving as some sign of “alpha maleness” and that anyone who doesn’t give a crap about sports equates to “weakness” or being a pansy or something. That is far from the truth. Like the poster above, sports is entertainment and should be treated as such. It’s not that serious. I love my Georgia Bulldogs, but most of my weekends are consumed with diy projects around the house which gives me more pleasure.

I think it's definite overcompensation, some strange manifestation of Late Stage Fratboy.

As an aside, Auburn fan here. Not looking forward to the asskicking you'll be dispensing to my Tigers in a few weeks.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:20 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,134,081 times
I don’t get the appeal of watching sports on TV.

I run and/or lift weights for over an hour per day on average and sometimes play squash, too. Yesterday I had a typical cardio day and ran 8.05 miles in an hour. So hopefully that counts as being athletic.

But sitting on the sofa, yelling at the tv while watching a bunch of strangers collide with each other while chasing a ball? No point in that. And if anyone who wants to talk about the latest game on TV- how many miles did you run this morning?

Old 09-15-2022, 06:29 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,055,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think it's definite overcompensation, some strange manifestation of Late Stage Fratboy.

As an aside, Auburn fan here. Not looking forward to the asskicking you'll be dispensing to my Tigers in a few weeks.
Now that will be a good game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships