Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,764,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
You should have a list! I hope your family spoils you a little this holiday, even if it isnt with cash. Have a happy holiday.
Who says she would enjoy being spoiled by gifts. Maybe just company of loved ones is what some people are after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:56 AM

20,777 posts, read 20,073,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I use the holidays to go away on a trip to Death Valley and hope nobody else goes there

The Grand Canyon was our little Christmas escape one year except every Japanese tourist in America must have been there with us...

It was beautiful in snow.
I fled on Thanksgiving and went to Vegas - and it seemed like half India was at the Hover Dam.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:56 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,631,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I just try to ignore it as much as I can. I avoid stores. Change channels if they play christmas music and just generally try to ignore everything that has to do with Christmas. I use the holidays to go away on a trip to Death Valley and hope nobody else goes there
I'm playing Halloween music to off set the madness! More specifically the soundtrack of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!

Old 12-14-2015, 12:58 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,631,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Who says she would enjoy being spoiled by gifts. Maybe just company of loved ones is what some people are after.
I have to agree with this! I enjoy giving presents more than receiving actually...but if I had a choice, I'd be in Alaska now, sitting on a porch watching snow fall and enjoying a good conversation with family & friends!

Old 12-14-2015, 01:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The short days make it depressing. I think the holidays help offset some of the natural winter depression.
That is exactly why the holidays take place in the winter. Whether it works or not is debatable.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,818,375 times
Holidays are just time off for everybody that's all, enjoy meeting and getting reacquainted with family and friends.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:45 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,439,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Again the teachers don't make these lists. The Pta usually puts together these lists and most parents really appreciate them. You aren't required to buy these things, or buy anything. Many kids in class want to give their teachers a gift. This way the teacher can get things they like or can actually use...which is better then tossing money at junk they won't want. Also, why so stingy with teachers? They make very little, spend their entire day working with your child, educating them...of course they deserve gifts...even if you haven't taken the time to go in and meet them. (How on earth have you gone this long I tot he year without meeting your child's teachers??).
No, I have to say, I agree with the others that the "preferred gifts" list is tacky! If a little kid wants to buy his teacher something at the Dollar Store that he thinks Teacher will like, let him...and act excited about it! This preferred list thing, and now I even heard people can "register" on Amazon for their preferred gifts -- well, where is the surprise and creativity anymore?

Yes, teachers do an invaluable job, but I know my cousin was making high 60's teaching second grade in the early 90's when I was working a high-stress corporate job for $37K. Granted, she was in the highest-paid school district in PA, but still. She also went on a paid sabbatical to the Grand Canyon which I guess was supposed to be "continuing education". Now, the teachers in the inner-city schools, that's a different story. They're the ones who should be paid top dollar, in my opinion....

Old 12-15-2015, 06:11 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,931,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Hate to tell you but GUCCI is not a store we shop at ever, so for a teacher I haven't even met to put that as a "preferred place for parents to shop at" is beyond ILL-MANNERED and flat out rude.
I don't have children, so I've never received a list of presents to buy for his or her teachers, but this is for real? You're supposed to buy for teachers from a prepared list? And you got a request to shop at Gucci? If it weren't so grubby, it would be hilarious. Do you live in Beverly Hills? This reads like a parody of life there, if 90210 had been more like Portlandia.

And there are people defending it? I'm floored. I had no idea. My mother sent each of us to school with a tin of her homemade Toll House Cookies for our teachers at Christmas through eighth grade. In high school, nothing.

Again, no idea.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-15-2015 at 06:26 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 06:22 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,931,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Holidays are just time off for everybody that's all, enjoy meeting and getting reacquainted with family and friends.
You have off the entire time between the week before Thanksgiving and Jan. 2? (Or should I start with Pumpkin Spice Season?)

Old 12-15-2015, 06:49 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,477,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Does anyone else think the holidays are depressing? I am so sick of seeing awful perfume commercials that are completely inappropriate!! Everything is about couples. It is hard when you don't celebrate or have family and friends to celebrate with and the Christmas music about couples is ridiculous!!
I'm single and live far from my family, and I don't find the holidays depressing. On the contrary, I like the festive atmosphere and the cold weather and the short days.

Although, I do have some friends and I don't watch commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships