Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:03 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,077,407 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it's not just the 'holidays' themselves that are a downer, sometimes people are the cause.

My boss was aware I'd be alone on Christmas and at our departmental meeting near the holidays she would say, "Let's go around the table and share our fun and exciting holiday plans with family!!" Then she would stare at me with a snarky expression. Real class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,623,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
No, I have to say, I agree with the others that the "preferred gifts" list is tacky! If a little kid wants to buy his teacher something at the Dollar Store that he thinks Teacher will like, let him...and act excited about it! This preferred list thing, and now I even heard people can "register" on Amazon for their preferred gifts -- well, where is the surprise and creativity anymore?

Yes, teachers do an invaluable job, but I know my cousin was making high 60's teaching second grade in the early 90's when I was working a high-stress corporate job for $37K. Granted, she was in the highest-paid school district in PA, but still. She also went on a paid sabbatical to the Grand Canyon which I guess was supposed to be "continuing education". Now, the teachers in the inner-city schools, that's a different story. They're the ones who should be paid top dollar, in my opinion....
You're ready... see below...I got FIVE of these from teachers I haven't even met sent home with one of my kids teachers....

We live close to Tampa, FL...so NO California/Beverly Hills antics here...just a massive display of rudeness from a basic elementary school!

Sports Authority? Dicks? I never ever shop there because they are insanely overpriced...
Starbucks?! What makes these people think we without an income shop there? Buy your own Starbucks!

The point here is that it is rude to request/expect parents to go shopping for teachers in this manner.

Teachers have gone berserk to have the nerve to send such lists, and if PTAs are behind it that's even worst.

Talk about being completely ungrateful. Most people don't have cushy jobs like they do...
I already explained myself in a previous post so I am not typing it again...I thinks rude and inconsiderate to send such lists to parents. They ask for stuff year round: please bring some more glue sticks, paper towels, wipes, crayons etc etc etc etc etc as if our wallets are bottomless. It's a disgrace, all this $hit should be supplied by the GOV considering these are PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:13 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,913,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
No, I have to say, I agree with the others that the "preferred gifts" list is tacky! If a little kid wants to buy his teacher something at the Dollar Store that he thinks Teacher will like, let him...and act excited about it! This preferred list thing, and now I even heard people can "register" on Amazon for their preferred gifts -- well, where is the surprise and creativity anymore?

Yes, teachers do an invaluable job, but I know my cousin was making high 60's teaching second grade in the early 90's when I was working a high-stress corporate job for $37K. Granted, she was in the highest-paid school district in PA, but still. She also went on a paid sabbatical to the Grand Canyon which I guess was supposed to be "continuing education". Now, the teachers in the inner-city schools, that's a different story. They're the ones who should be paid top dollar, in my opinion....
There isn't a law that you have to buy from the list or buy anything at all. It's just a hint list. I personally love them (the school we are at now doesn't do them as they do no holidays whatso ever). All my friends enjoyed getting them. I showed them to the kids. They liked to pick things their teachers liked and learning more about their teachers.

One year the teacher was a gluten free vegetarian...that was handy to know before bringing her up a plate of cookies.

Maybe some schools have gone further, but in the schools we have gotten them from it included food restrictions/preferences, hobbies, favorite shops, maybe a favorite color or something else about them. Without that it's a big ? Of what to get them.

I think people get so over worked on hating the holidays. At that point all I can do is wish them a happy holiday. It's like...why give it all so much power over you?

Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 AM

19,897 posts, read 9,458,929 times
I am just so ANGRY this year. Don't know why because I certainly have had worst Christmas seasons, but it seems that this year I am just taking stock of my life, past and present, and I am not happy with any of it. I feel cheated, resentful, angry, and bitter -- and that is not usually like me, or at least not to this degree because I know that millions of people much more to be unhappy about than I do. In the past, Christmas has always made me feel happy and excited, no matter what else was going on in my life, so I don't understand why I am so angry THIS year. I used to love baking, shopping, seeing the Christmas lights, watching old Christmas movies, etc. -- but not this year.

(Sorry. I just needed to vent.)

Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,841,072 times
It would be nice to get past this teacher thing. IMO only young grade school age kids get a pass to write Christmas wish lists. Adults, regardless of profession, income bracket or other red herring factors, it's just tacky. To be sent to strangers who have zero obligation to give gifts in the first place? Beyond tacky. This is partly why people hate the holidays. That's my take.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:54 AM

486 posts, read 535,963 times
Didn't read this whole thread but my advice to anyone feeling blue or lonely around the holidays is to travel, go somewhere, leave the country if you have to. It helped me during traumatic years.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:50 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,077,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
Didn't read this whole thread but my advice to anyone feeling blue or lonely around the holidays is to travel, go somewhere, leave the country if you have to. It helped me during traumatic years.
Fantastic idea! If I could, I'd really enjoy going to Asheville, NC to see the Christmas decorations at the Biltmore Estate.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:06 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,913,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
It would be nice to get past this teacher thing. IMO only young grade school age kids get a pass to write Christmas wish lists. Adults, regardless of profession, income bracket or other red herring factors, it's just tacky. To be sent to strangers who have zero obligation to give gifts in the first place? Beyond tacky. This is partly why people hate the holidays. That's my take.
I love getting people gifts. I always have. Every year since I was 11 (and making money babysitting) my siblings and I would go in on a gift for our parents. It was my favorite part of Christmas. When I first got a list from teachers, I was so relieved! Something personal instead of something generic. I have to buy generic gifts for the people who work for my husband because I don't know them well enough (and yes he also gives them money).

Old 12-15-2015, 02:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,763,764 times
I cannot stand the holiday season especially because such a big deal is made out of it. Also, I hate that I cannot go to some of my usual places on either Christmas or Thanksgiving, either because those places are closed or because they close early. It's such a pain in the ass. I hate the way that everything comes to a standstill on holidays. I wish life could just function as normal on holidays.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:31 PM

22,643 posts, read 47,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I wish life could just function as normal on holidays.
For many, Christmas Day actually MEANS something to them.
There is no need for others to keep your life normal just because you do not celebrate the significance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships