Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 03:51 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,295,753 times

Advertisements

I got a vegetarian cookbook once,,, went into the woodstove within a couple days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 04:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,964,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
Try Macys online. I get a Macy's gift card every year and I can never find anything in the store but I always find good deals on their website. Last year I got tons on baby clothes for $40 and the year before that I got a nice purse for around $30.
I am a guy so purses are not applicable and I do need to try clothing especially when I don't know the type of shirt they sell and the cut. T-shirts are typically fine but button downs and sweaters I do need to try at the stores. For me it is over priced, $15 for a three undershirts from Hanes? Cologne, i find good finds at Walmart for $20 or less that work with me or evem splurge and get Water from B&BW for $30 every now and again but similar brands unless marked down start at $50 (besides I am more than fine at the stock i have with four different scent.) The only accessory items I found (shave accesories like cream etc.) I would like were sold out and I can't find them online. I ended up swapping cards with my mother as she gpot a Kohl's card, at least now I can somewhat find clothes there.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:37 AM

19,899 posts, read 9,458,929 times
My worst Christmas gifts have always come from my mom. This year, she sent us two ugly Christmas mugs and a 2015 commemorative plate, but the worst was about 30 years ago when she sent an electric carving knife for Christmas after she had already given us one for our wedding gift. (She is very well-off financially, btw.) I honestly wish that she would just stop sending gifts altogether and send a nice card instead!

However, the worst gift we ever received was from my ex-husband's sister who sent us a VERY cheap bathroom scale -- I was not overweight, btw, although she was -- after she, her husband, and her four kids to our wedding dinner were more than 20 minutes late to the wedding ceremony and after we had paid about $120.00 for her family at the wedding dinner and reception. (You have to remember, this was a long time ago!) That was her way of protesting our marriage because we had "lived in sin" before we legally married.

And some people wonder why "family" does not mean very much to me!

Old 12-27-2015, 11:22 AM

912 posts, read 918,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
We're in the middle of Chanukkah and Christmas is in a couple weeks. Most of us have had a birthday.

So, what was the worst gift you've received this year?

Feel free to discuss any all-time doozies that really take the cake in terms of cheesy, cheap, tacky, and situationally inappropriate gifts.
All-time doozie: when my boyfriend of 3 years took me to a sushi restaurant as a gift. I'd been vegan for years.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:23 PM

15,158 posts, read 27,864,435 times
Haven't received it yet but Mom got and is mailing me adult coloring books/pencils - she KNOWS I have severe osteoarthritis in my dominant hand and it hurts to even write anything. I tried to be diplomatic, thank her, etc. and say that if she has someone she needs a gift for to give it them as I can't use it (she's on a fixed, limited income and no matter what I say about not buying anything, she does, when I say a small specific something, that doesn't work out either) - she just keeps saying she can't wait to mail it, etc. - sigh.

I did get a little sad yesterday when at a get together w/my late husbands family the youngest (a true sweetie) asked me what I got for Christmas and kept apologizing because she didn't write a card for me as she didn't know I was coming, which I don't understand why as it's not like I never see them, but I told her to NOT feel bad, it was okay and I loved her hug (I didn't get anything other than a small plate of cookies). I did get the actual cousins something each that was something that I thought would be perfect, I don't expect anything but have to admit I was a little hurt that I didn't even get a card - I did get hugs and interaction so... it was a fine day.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
My worst Christmas gifts have always come from my mom. This year, she sent us two ugly Christmas mugs and a 2015 commemorative plate, but the worst was about 30 years ago when she sent an electric carving knife for Christmas after she had already given us one for our wedding gift. (She is very well-off financially, btw.) I honestly wish that she would just stop sending gifts altogether and send a nice card instead!

However, the worst gift we ever received was from my ex-husband's sister who sent us a VERY cheap bathroom scale -- I was not overweight, btw, although she was -- after she, her husband, and her four kids to our wedding dinner were more than 20 minutes late to the wedding ceremony and after we had paid about $120.00 for her family at the wedding dinner and reception. (You have to remember, this was a long time ago!) That was her way of protesting our marriage because we had "lived in sin" before we legally married.

And some people wonder why "family" does not mean very much to me!
Wonder why some Mom's just don't get it? Mine used to get me (as recently as last yr., LOL) things totally not me: sparkley and/or glittery, a size M (I'm pretty small and smalls used to be too big) - because "it will shrink", etc. - I'm sorry your Mom and mine seem to be of the same mindset - she has been here and seen my bins of stuff I need to have a yardsale for (coffee mugs among them) - I've mailed back the "whatever" after seeing if she had the receipt so she could return it.

I will say: IF you see something in the boys/girls dept. that is Steelers (sweatpants, non-hood sweatshirt) - all to no avail.

I guess it's the lot in life for some of us to have totally clueless folks, LOL.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,228,919 times
We have family members, who ask what we want, we tell them what we want, then they send a basket of food and wine. I think it is more about them giving what they perceive is a nice gift, vs us receiving what would be a useful gift. Most of the food will be eaten, and the wine will surely not go to waste, but I'd rather have something useful for the house, like I suggested. Why do they even ask? It's not that I'm not grateful. It's a nice gift, and not cheap, either. Just don't ask what I want.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:23 PM

5,338 posts, read 8,565,618 times
In the past, when I got gift cards to places I didn't want to go, I sold them on-line, or exchanged them for an amazon gift card.

This article has a good list of place you can sell or exchange them- plus other ideas:

What to Do With All Your Holiday Gift Cards

Thankfully, the family member who used to do this now just gives cash.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:51 PM

I don't want cash - I would SO much prefer something that is my taste. I would like people to acknowledge that they KNOW what I like. I don't care if it's from a dollar store.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:54 PM

576 posts, read 995,901 times
I used to get crystal everything from my dad and his wife every year. The same crystal candy dish a few years in a row. Even though they'd been to my house and one can see that "crystal" glass is not my taste and I don't have anything "crystal", not vases, platters, candy dishes, nothing.

Oh well, the "thought" I guess, ..???....is what matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships