Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 12:09 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Years ago someone gave me a half block of government cheese. You know that cheese given away in those free food programs in the plain white wrapper that says CHEESE. A half block. Not even a full block. It was like yellow rubber, expiration date was 2273 I think. I used it on mouse traps, the mice wouldn't even eat it. Eventually threw it out.
I used to eat that stuff when I was a kid. Loved it! Ewwww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 10:54 AM

118 posts, read 95,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The worst for me was many years ago a cousin gave me a lime green vest from the $10 store with the tag still attached, In rumpled bag from the store itself LOL.

And then there was the time I got a certificate from the "Jelly of the month club" on Christmas Day. They said it was the gift that keeps on giving.....What a night that was overall. : )
You serious Clark?

Old 12-16-2015, 11:44 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,802 times
Last year for Xmas my father in law's girlfriend got me these ugly slippers and an ugly SHOWER TOTE. It's basically a plastic tote to put your shower stuff in. Perhaps something a college kid would need. When I opened it she said "I don't really know what that is...maybe you can keep your perfume in it or something." I knew it had to be a regift or it came with stuff in it and she took the stuff out & just gave me the ugly tote.

I just got a really ugly bag for free with a purchase, so I'm giving that to her this year.

ETA: After reading about gag gifts I figured I would add a funny one. For a few years once us kids were grown my aunt decided to do the White Elephant thing instead of everyone getting everyone gifts. My sister had this ugly horrid Christmas decoration her ex in-laws gave her, so she put that in one year. Year after year, whoever ended up with it, had to add on more hideous objects to it and add it secretly with their purchased gift. Somehow it always ended up with either my father or my one uncle.

Last edited by jrsydevil82; 12-16-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 01:46 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,515 times
I wouldn't say a horrible past gift, but something I find very tacky.

When family members with kids give you a card with nothing in it but a Christmas picture with the kids, while you are expected to buy their several spawn each a present.

I stopped doing that when I realized I lost count of how many kids they had!

Old 12-17-2015, 02:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post

When family members with kids give you a card with nothing in it but a Christmas picture with the kids, while you are expected to buy their several spawn each a present.

I have heard of that happening on the internet and on forums but I have actually never seen that happen in real life. When I was the unmarried aunt I freely gave my nieces and nephews gifts and they each gave ME gifts that they had selected. When they were babies my sister or brother gave me gifts "from" them.

Perhaps, I spent more on their toys & books than they spent on their handmade ornaments or drawings or small gifts but I always received at least some gifts back from them.

And, guess what? One of my nieces is now 40 years old and has helped me numerous times with tasks & downsizing now that my husband is disabled.

So, perhaps those "spawn" may remember you and your kindness 30 or 35 or 40 years from now when you need help.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:13 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Quote:

You must be a blast at holiday get togethers.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:14 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
When we were kids my brother got me a 2 piece chicken meal at a local chicken place called Broasted Chicken. He left it under the tree all night and the cat had opened it. Christmas morning there was shredded greasy paper and chicken bones in amongst the presents.

Got an envelope of gift cards from MIL today. It included a SPA Finder gift card for me. Not that I don't appreciate the thought, but it is something I would never, ever use. She gave me a big spa gift card the last time she came to visit in thanks for taking such good care of her son. That was six months ago. Now I have two spa cards I will never use. I am not a spa type person. I have issues when the ladies at the nail salon try to rub my feet.
I join you in the spa haters club, and also have trouble with the pedicure. My MIL gave me a 100 certificate to a spa here. Years ago and I still have it. I wonder if it's even good anymore.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:15 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
Someone re-gifted my husband and I some chocolate that was over a year old. We ate it and got sick, and only noticed the year old expiration date after.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:18 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,811,321 times
Quote:

My sister had 7 kids and I never referred to any of them as "spawn". They are all adults now and happy and productive members of society.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:09 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You must be a blast at holiday get togethers.
I'm usually BLASTED :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships