Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 04:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAsIce View Post
I guess I could but the room is big and I worry about an electrical fire.

I have brought that up before but she says if she didn't pay the electric bill there would be no electricity for the apartment to which I responded by saying well without me paying for the apt she wouldn't have electricity to which SHE responded with "Well, you wouldn't have electricity anyway". See the conundrum?
Ya, she's an idiot? Maybe you should renegotiate the bills so you each pay half of everything. In any case, one roommate shouldn't get to dictate the temperature. If she wants 50, and you want 70, you should at least compromise and keep it at 60. Is she on the lease? Maybe it's time to give her 30 days notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 04:07 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
Who's name is on the lease? If just yours, start looking for someone more compatible and kick her out. If both, suck it up until the lease is up then move. If hers, start looking for another place and move out.

You are never going to resolve this. She's nuts, and you can't fix nuts.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:05 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I asked how cold it was in the apartment as well and the best answer I've seen is:

"A few things, our A/C goes down to 50 and currently it is 42' but since it warms up an extra 10 or so degrees it will continually run."

Seems that the OP is being somewhat evasive about that particular question. It's not difficult to give a straight answer.
I took it to mean the A/C is set to 50 degrees and the outside temperature is 42 but it's 52 inside so the A/C continually runs.

The only thing is, I checked my thermostat and the lowest the A/C goes is 64. Highest the heat goes is 85.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I took it to mean the A/C is set to 50 degrees and the outside temperature is 42 but it's 52 inside so the A/C continually runs.

The only thing is, I checked my thermostat and the lowest the A/C goes is 64. Highest the heat goes is 85.

I don't know if it really goes that low or that high but the dial on mine goes from 40 to 90.

I am sure that different air-conditioners and different furnaces have different lows and highs.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:17 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Some ideas:

* Get a space heater for your room, keep it cranked on max.
* When she's gone, adjust the temperature to what you like. When she returns, if she readjusts then let her but each time she leaves readjust it back. If she says you can't do that then say "let's compromise, if you want 62, I want 75, the average is 68.5 so let's keep it there.
67 is what I turn our house DOWN to at night. I'd freeze to death if I had to live all day in a house 68 or less.
We keep ours at 71 or 72 in the winter.

I also suggest the OP moves out and find someone else to live with who likes normal temps.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Who's name is on the lease? If just yours, start looking for someone more compatible and kick her out. If both, suck it up until the lease is up then move. If hers, start looking for another place and move out.
Yes, the lease. That's all that matters. No need for a confusing account of who met whom and moved in with whom, or why.

I get that different people have different temperature tolerances but 50d, even 60d, is unreasonable. If you have such an extreme problem living in a normal temperature environment then you need to bear the burden and the costs of dealing with it. Geez, how does someone who needs it to be 50d handle going into any public indoor environment?

Old 12-14-2015, 09:44 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,256 times
This is so familiar. My son is a major weightlifter and with his metabolism his body is like a furnace. If it's over 60, he's baking. When he moved home for a while after college, he had to run the AC all night, winter/summer or he couldn't sleep. I was SO happy when he got his own place.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:55 AM

186 posts, read 157,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAsIce View Post
Have an issue I need some advice on. My roommate ALWAYS has to keep the A/C on, even when it's real cold outside. She leaves it on even when it's 30-40 degrees! She's like a polar bear I swear. I have suggested getting a fan but she says she doesn't like using a fan and just wants the A/C on. I have said that not only is our apartment always freezing but it brings the electric bill up but she says since she pays the electric it's her choice, and to just use a blanket. She will also walk around in her undies as well, I don't know how she doesn't freeze to death! Is there really anything I can do? Even my boyfriend has complained about how cold it is, he even joked he's been in walk in freezers that are warmer.

If I paid at least part of the electric bill I know I'd have some say but since she pays it all do I really have room to complain?
Just curious how "warm" (or should I say, cold) is it inside?

Old 12-15-2015, 09:21 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
If she goes to her room and doesn't come out, then why can't you have a heater in the living room?
If the roomie lives in her room, why can't the OP turn the thermostat up? This is starting to sound absolutely ridiculous especially since it's the OP's apartment!!!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:37 AM

620 posts, read 638,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If the roomie lives in her room, why can't the OP turn the thermostat up? This is starting to sound absolutely ridiculous especially since it's the OP's apartment!!!
I would assume that turning up the thermostat would send warm air into the roommate's room. If the vents close, then perhaps that's a simple solution, but not all vents close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships