Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:52 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,582,542 times

Advertisements

Teasing and joking is juvenile and irritating. It is like you are trying TOO hard to be liked. It is a sign of MAJOR insecurity!

A good joke at the appropriate time once in a while is fine, but listening to someone trying to be fun and funny all the time gets OLD very quickly.

Just talk normal, be a kind person, listen a LOT (keep your mouth closed) and stop trying to be a funny person. You sound like you are intelligent, so take the advice on here and keep it tucked away in your grey matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 12:18 AM

37,173 posts, read 42,359,399 times
You sound exactly like my daughter. She is instantly liked by almost everyone (and instantly hated by a few as well) but her strong personality can cause problems with the more sensitive types and she has had a couple bad friend-breakups over the years. She isn't loud or obnoxious but she has a dark humor and no filters and speaks her mind no matter who she's talking to.

On the other hand she has a ton of friend and boyfriends and people have counted on her to be "the strong one" when they've been unable to deal with things in their own life. And she never stops when it comes to getting work done and is really fun at parties.

I'm her mom and I've known her forever but even I marvel that a little bitty girl can have such a huge impact on everyone around her. Figure out whats causing you problems and work on that, but always be grateful for being a people person because it's a gift.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:27 AM

12,817 posts, read 15,113,312 times
Zhuu, by how you describe yourself, I can probably picture how you are & I wouldn't even have wanted to be around you from the get-go. You'd be that person I try to avoid as much as possible. And I can see why certain people may like you at first, but then tire of you quickly. BECAUSE you don't know when to be serious, sincere, humble, warm. All the "messing with people" as you say gets tired & completely annoying extremely fast UNLESS you meet other frat boy, teaster types exactly like you who never stop acting like 16 yr olds. Oh & I can't stand sarcastic type who speak like they have no filter. I have a certain respect & will only say certain things & I sure as heck wish a LOT more people would too!

GROW UP & I don't care if you're 21 or 51...grow up & be serious & sincere for once in your life! Does anything actually affect you or are you passionate about anything or is life one big party?!

My boyfriend's dad is in his 60s & is this crass, insincere, materialistic, idiotic big kid. That's why he was a horrible father & my boyfriend couldn't stand him & has nothing to do with him & while I don't want to use the word HATE, I can't stand him either & would prefer to never see him ever again in my life. Seeing him once every 10 yrs is too much & that's if we're ignoring each other on the opposite ends of the room.

You might have been the popular guy in high school, but it's not good when you're no longer in HS. You need a serious overhaul with your personality, but I know...it's hard since you've been a certain way your whole life to suddenly change. I'd suggest getting self0help books on how to be down to earth, sincere, and humble and seek a therapist who could help give you techniques to reshape your personality.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:45 PM

35,393 posts, read 17,303,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
1) Regarding work: Don't mistake your office for a social playground. While it's great to get along with the people you work with, pick and choose carefully over time who you allow into your "real" life. The primary reason you're there is to work. It takes more than a few months to assess what's really going on at your office, who the players are, who will take every opportunity to get one up on you. Sit back and observe, socialize judiciously.

2) Never miss an opportunity to shut up. I think Will Rogers said this. It's something I still struggle with.

3) Teasing-stop it, at least with coworkers. I struggle also with this, especially when I'm given a huge opening. Everyone doesn't have your same sense of humor. As my sister has said, "You're always funny, but you're not always nice."

Just dial it back a little. Try to talk 1/3 less than you feel you want to. Observe. That you're even aware of this and concerned about it is huge.
Most jobs have a honeymoon stage where everyone is very friendly. It doesn't take long for that to change. I've experienced it and heard it from many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships