Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 12:20 PM

10,508 posts, read 7,097,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
Also please keep in mind that some Christians view other Christians as not 'true Christians' and try to convert them. For example, at a friend's wedding, the groom's father stood up in the church where the wedding was being held and announced to everyone there that members of the church where the wedding was being held were not true Christians.

Think of how well that went over.

During a baptism at our church, we witnessed the father's entire family get up and walk out in the middle of the rite. How petty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 01:31 PM

23,491 posts, read 19,198,031 times
Quote:
Also please keep in mind that some Christians view other Christians as not 'true Christians' and try to convert them. For example, at a friend's wedding, the groom's father stood up in the church where the wedding was being held and announced to everyone there that members of the church where the wedding was being held were not true Christians.

Some of the main reasons I left the Christian religion: too many run-ins with hypocrisy, religious bigotry, arrogance, and deliberate ignorance. Too many members determined to hate each other, persecute each other, ride roughshod over those they felt were inferior. Ignoring the very tenets of their belief. No thank you!

Old 05-23-2020, 01:40 PM

654 posts, read 367,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some of the main reasons I left the Christian religion: too many run-ins with hypocrisy, religious bigotry, arrogance, and deliberate ignorance. Too many members determined to hate each other, persecute each other, ride roughshod over those they felt were inferior. Ignoring the very tenets of their belief. No thank you!
We agree on that, with respect to the jerk who announced at the wedding that the church members weren't Christian. I've also heard members of some denominations claim that members of mine (a mainstream, mainline, old-school, relatively progressive denomination) aren't Christian. Great. It's not up to us to say if others are Christian are not.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:09 PM

19 posts, read 12,703 times
My cousin quit speaking to me since I refused to transform into a JW believer.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:22 AM

532 posts, read 253,799 times
Quote:

I had never encountered this until I started seeing my husband, who was raised in an evangelical denomination that was really into converting people from other denominations into theirs, especially Catholics. Prior to this I knew plenty of Christians, but they were mainly Anglican, Catholic, and a few Orthodox; from what I gather, they aren’t big on actively “recruiting†people. So, it was a real shock to meet people who were so jazzed to “lead me to the lordâ€. I don’t know if it’s double conversation points because I was raised Buddhist, but it took a lot of patience on my part to accept that their intentions were good... no matter how offensive it got at times.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:40 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:

Lol. Yep, as a matter of fact, there are so many opinions over what constitutes a "true Christian" that we had to make a rule forbidding anyone from claiming someone else is not a real Christian on the CD Christianity forum. Our forum is ABOUT the religion, not an exclusive club for people who believe specific things. There are other forums out there for that.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:42 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit2 View Post
My cousin quit speaking to me since I refused to transform into a JW believer.
We have at least two posters whose immediate families permanently shunned them for leaving the JWs. Not that that's the only religion that does that.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:04 AM

9,444 posts, read 6,609,552 times
One of the saddest things I have experienced in life was when my husband's son joined a non-denominational Christian church and subsequently ended his relationship with us because we had different views. He said it was a sin for him to associate with "non believers". Interestingly it was a coach at a state college who lead him away from the church he had previously attended, telling him it wasn't really Bible based enough. Sad that a coach at a public school is allowed to preach his religion to students over whom he has authority. And yes I know college students are young adults and not children.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:14 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,687,444 times
Have not read the thread.

Christian converters are the absolute worst.

The problem is their arrogance and lack of respect for others beliefs.

I detest them.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:18 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,150,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
To be honest, this is an issue with humans in general.
Any religion eventually breaks into multiple denominations, and humans tend to justify their beliefs by criticising the beliefs, customs and practices of the "other" side.

The atheists justify their beliefs by making fun of those who believe in someone who cannot be seen. So, it is all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships