Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:03 PM

3,656 posts, read 3,795,883 times

Advertisements

Not real friends. No.

But I've avoided people of many faiths who were pushy or arrogant regarding either their religion or mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:37 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,405,284 times
Yes I lost a wonderful friend 30+ yrs ago.
It's a Christian's duty to go forth and preach the gospel so I doubt he can stop it.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,588,189 times
Wow. So many great responses. Thank you.

Ironically, since I started this thread, my friend called me for a simple favor - to help him find and buy a book on Amazon, and nothing religious came up at all.

And today I called him for advice about a problem, and he didn't talk about religion. He was on his way somewhere and was afraid he cut me off too quickly and called me back later. He had gone to a prayer meeting and he apologized for having to run off and explained where he'd gone. He made some comment about me not wanting to talk about his prayers and laughed a little, then brought the conversation right back to asking me how I am.

He's a friend worth keeping for sure, and he seems to be getting the hint. If I need to ask him not to try and convert me, I think he'll tone it down. But, of course time will tell.

I really appreciate hearing all of the different points of views. It's been very helpful.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:12 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,498,239 times
My Evangelical sister-in-law told me when my husband and I were first married that she was going to convert us if it was the last thing she did. My husband and I are both agnostics. We are open to possibilities like the OP and believe that all religions can have some truth. In time, she began to cut us off especially after we had our daughter. This was sad as we thought she would make a great aunty. We spent many hours with our nieces taking them to zoos, picnics, etc. We haven't seen her in years because she couldn't understand our POV. Sad, her loss.

It sounds like form your latest post that he is beginning to understand that religion is private and to each their own.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:13 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,345,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You need to end the relationship.
I don't think you'll have to. I think he will at least cool off the relationship if you ever make it bluntly clear that he needs to shut up about this. He thinks he's going to get some kind of extra points from God or something when he presents you to his church and I suspect he will lose interest in you when he finally accepts that you're not going to help him get to heaven.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:54 AM

11,391 posts, read 9,312,804 times
Quote:
Have any of you lost a friend over religion?
Yes, a friendship that lasted 25 years.

I didn't know the reason why he changed so much until he wrote me out of the blue after 2 years of no contact to tell me I am wrong about atheism. After a few exchanges I wrote him a "The End" email and told him he needed to stop the preaching and to cease contact with me. He was too far gone for any reasoning and is not the same person that I had the friendship with.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:12 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,365,179 times
My childhood bff is.. not sure what she is, I don't know if she knows either. She fully supports her Jehovah's Witness nieces, she fully supports her mother's Unitarian involvement but if anything Christian comes up she may as well clamp her hands to her head and scream AAAGGHHH! MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!!! (no tolerance whatsoever) Since that's a HUGE part of my life and am very thankful for the many blessings and the active communication I have with my creator, I try to edit my speech to not offend her. It's miserable for me and I don't enjoy being around her much. OP, I encourage you to open up an occasional dialogue such as "can you give me examples of prayers you've seen answered?" Give him a little time to let those feelings out. He is governing his speech now, why? Because he values your friendship. It's such a big part of his life, he shouldn't be afraid to talk about it for fear of upsetting you.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Tolerance works best when it's a two way street.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,268,058 times
The ones who bother me are those who wield scimitars and tell me to convert or else.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:04 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,029,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Wow. So many great responses. Thank you.

Ironically, since I started this thread, my friend called me for a simple favor - to help him find and buy a book on Amazon, and nothing religious came up at all.

And today I called him for advice about a problem, and he didn't talk about religion. He was on his way somewhere and was afraid he cut me off too quickly and called me back later. He had gone to a prayer meeting and he apologized for having to run off and explained where he'd gone. He made some comment about me not wanting to talk about his prayers and laughed a little, then brought the conversation right back to asking me how I am.

He's a friend worth keeping for sure, and he seems to be getting the hint. If I need to ask him not to try and convert me, I think he'll tone it down. But, of course time will tell.

I really appreciate hearing all of the different points of views. It's been very helpful.
Cool. Thanks for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships