Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 04:57 AM

890 posts, read 1,652,360 times

Advertisements

I seriously think I want to move near my family. I decided to move away after college because of the COL. While I like the current city I live in, I'm unable to see my family frequently. There's nothing really making me stay where I live(I'm in a relationship however) and I'm not satisfied with my employment prospects. During my last trip home, I mentioned how much I miss living near them. This trip home has pretty much confirmed that I want to move back to the area or at least within a day trip's distance. My parents are divorced, my mom drives me nuts at times. I have a decent relationship with my dad and teenage siblings. I'd definitely have to reform my friendship group here, but most of my close friends are split between 2 major cities 45 minutes apart. I'm just concerned about finding employment that pays enough as I'm 30 and not interested in living with several roommates. So with those few qualms, would moving back be in my best interest? Also has anyone been in my situation, if so, how did things work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 06:40 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,822,236 times
You do realize that everyone’s situations and relationships are different right? If dozens of people post that it worked out great, that means absolutely nothing for how it’ll work out for you.

We’re over 4 hrs away from our families. That’s kind of by design; they are very difficult people and distance makes our relationships with them workable. That’s just a demonstration of personal experience and just an example of how irrelevant one’s personal experience is to your specific situation.

There are of course good and bad things about moving closer. But don’t be too shortsighted about things. Those teen siblings may not be there very long if they go away to college or something.

Sounds to me like you miss the place you grew up and a part of you wants to be closer to family. That’s nice. And you understand that there’ll be challenges (e.g. your nuttyesque mother). But overall, you want to. So I say begin the investigative and planning process and see where it takes you.

If/when you have kids, and your family is one that’ll help with that, it’s gold. Having help with kids relieves an enormous amount of pressure and can make life in general a huge amount better. Believe me, that’s no exaggeration. If you have a very compliant kid, it’s easier. If your kid isn’t compliant, it saps the life out of you and there is little joy. Having family around relieves that pressure and brings some joy back, even if that family isn’t perfect (none are of course).

So there is a lot to consider but overall, it sounds like you are saying that your life is less than full and you are thinking a change to a likely more complicated and fuller one would be of benefit. I agree with that so good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:31 AM

922 posts, read 1,115,479 times
Live wherever you're going to be more financially secure. No amount of family time is going to make life easier if you're struggling financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships