Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 AM

15,811 posts, read 20,573,398 times

Advertisements

Not really. As I've gotten older, my desire to drink has gotten less and less.

I might have a glass of wine out at dinner, or a glass of whiskey at a friend's party. I couldn't tell you the last time I drank enough to get to a point where I needed to spend the night.

If I know i'm gonna leave the party at 11pm, I stop drinking at 9pm. If I have my kids with me, I don't drink at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 12:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,349,802 times
I don't drink alcohol when I go over to someones house as over the years I've seen the effects of how drinking can release peoples thoughts about subjects that really shouldn't be released and end up ending relationships.

I stick to iced tea and water and save any drinking for when I'm at home, in my own castle, and can say what I think, when I want, to people who don't really care what I think.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:21 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,964,829 times
I have never gotten so drunk that I had to spend the night at someone else's house, I have to be able to get home so I can take my contact lenses out so I just do not drink.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:41 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,224,659 times
I would think that if someone had good cause to celebrate and had a few too many it would be better to sleep over than be sorry.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:19 PM

509 posts, read 556,035 times
Not since college.

A friend of mine who is nearing 50 ended up getting wasted and staying over at my place a few months back.
While I'm glad she didn't drive, the situation both worried and disgusted me.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:09 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,098,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
However, there is a fine line between "driving drunk" and "driving after drinking but not legally drunk."

Many people who get DUIs didn't think they were drunk. I haven't "gotten drunk" intentionally since my 20s, but I'm sure that in the last 20 years, I've been legally drunk without even realizing it (drinking wine at home for example)....But several posts keep coming back to criticism of "drunkenness" in general. I'm just saying that even mature people who are not alcoholics or party animals can get legally drunk without even appearing or feeling drunk. It doesn't mean we're immature or problem drinkers.
And that line has been lowered in some areas, from what it used to be. And, in my area recently, the anti-drinking commercials on TV have gone from "drunk driving" to "buzzed driving", with depictions of cops hiding everywhere, who are out to get you...and that is pretty much the tone of the advertisements- "we're everywhere, we're watching you, and if you have a drink and get in your care we're going to bust you."

I have a number of problems with this, I won't rant about all of them.

There are some people who can have one beer and are falling-down drunk, I've known some people like this. There are others, such as myself, who can put down a significant amount of booze and despite having a higher BAC than 'the law' allows can be unimpaired. I can be 'legally drunk' but no one would know without a breathalyzer or blood test.

Mrs. Z and I are in our 50s. We like our booze but sometimes I say we don't drink enough. Just before Xmas we went to a bash a few miles away in the next town. It was BYOB with a big bonfire and a lot of people. We brought a bottle of Sambuca Romana and between the two of us we nearly killed it. Certainly we were both 'legally drunk', but we were not particularly impaired. Fortunately (and by design) we live in an area where the town we were in and our town next to it do not have Police Departments. County Sheriffs and State Police are only very rarely seen, in fact, if you dial 911 here you may have to wait as much as 90 minutes for a response. I was able to drive home in a responsible manner, no danger to anyone and no fear of getting busted. Had we been further away, in an area with cops, apprehension of being pulled over by a cop would have certainly put a damper on the festivities. We had a good time and no worries.

I don't think people should be getting screwed by this arbitrary 'limit'. What is it now, .08 in most/all areas?

However, that is not to say that I condone getting trashed and driving in a manner that causes harm to other people. I think that if you're blitzed and hurt someone else, you should get 'the book' thrown at you, with penalties commensurate with the amount of damage caused...up to and including the death penalty if you kill someone else. But, that's just my opinion, and worth the price charged.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:57 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,104,858 times
Had a few beers on New Year's Eve then finished with a glass of champagne at midnight. I stayed the night at my lady friend's...but I s'pose that's a 'lil different.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:17 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,249,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Not since college.

A friend of mine who is nearing 50 ended up getting wasted and staying over at my place a few months back.
Aren't you a judgmental "friend".

Old 01-09-2016, 04:55 AM

19,971 posts, read 30,274,272 times
my son is in his early 20's in college and they are wiser than I was a that age,,,they plan ahead for parties - sleeping over or d.d.

being older,,,,yep, unfortunately we cant throw caution to the wind and have an extra few... because the dui . penalties are severe,,,and I need my license for my work

I usually now plan to not drink much,,,, tho I miss it,,use to love to loosen up and have a few

being responsible .... accelerates age

Old 01-09-2016, 04:59 AM

19,971 posts, read 30,274,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Not since college.

a once in a while wasting is not such a bad thing,,,, if it happens every weekend..thats different

ive had friends crash at my place,,,and im glad they did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships