Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:15 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,361,544 times

Advertisements

Rarely, I do anymore. I'm pushing 40 in a few years. Last time, I did was at my sister's housewarming party several months ago. She and her husband don't have children so it didn't bother me to stay the night after drinking. I feel like if I was can't control my booze then there's a problem. I limit 1 beer per hour. And if the family has children, I want to be a good role-model. Getting blitzed in front of children isn't my cup of tea. If others want to do that then that's their business. About a year or 2 ago, I discovered Busch NA beer. It's not that bad tasting. Definitely won't get a buzz off of it lol. It does has a tiny amount of alcohol like .5% not anything that will get me tipsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 08:28 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
I haven't done that since I was 21 (I'm also nearing on 40). A couple times I have taken a cab when hubby and I over did it on a date night, but either I or my husband stay sober enough to drive home when at someone's home. It would feel really weird to sleep over because of drinking. I want my own bed in my own home.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Haven't done that since college.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,868 times
Unless you've made prior plans to stay over as an overnight guest, that might prove an imposition on your hosts.

One's 40s are generally a highly productive and well-scheduled time in life. Even couples without kids often have shopping, lawn and car maintenance, housework and other necessary things informally scheduled for weekend mornings.

If you "find yourself" too inebriated to safely drive home, then it would be better (adult) manners to take a cab home.

Switching to the nonalcoholic beverage sounds like a prudent choice!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:50 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
I like to get wasted every now and then. But I wouldn't do it in front of children.

I sleep over if it is unavoidable and usually leave early mornings because I wake up early and then would have to wait until everybody else gets up, be in the way ... I just leave and go home and enjoy my hangover.

I rather take a cab or get picked up.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 AM

323 posts, read 346,430 times
I haven't drank in several years (my husband is a recovering alcoholic so I stopped drinking when started dating), but when I did, I limited myself to just 2 drinks total. I found that it allowed me to maintain control of myself while also giving me a small buzz. Win-Win!

Plus, I preferred watching other ppl get blitzed. That can be quite entertaining sometimes.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
I haven't done that since I was 15 years old. I sleep in my own bed and have made prior arrangements for getting home safely but I also don't drink just to get drunk either.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:19 AM

185 posts, read 242,087 times
I'm 27 and I've done that less and less as I creep closer to 30. The only time I really ever do it now is when it's already known that I'll be crashing at the place I'm drinking at but that doesn't happen nearly as much as it did in my early 20s. I doubt it will happen at all in my 30s & 40s unless it's some sort of bro reunion which happens even now from time to time but like I said it's dwindling down because people are growing up and have their own things going on. I wouldn't get too wasted at a family type event where kids or present, I agree with you on that, I probably wouldn't drink at all. Although I do have a family BBQ coming up this summer that I'm pretty sure I'll get a little hammered at, there's much drunken people watching to be had at these type of events and they have an entire seperate area for those who want to drink.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:26 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times
When I was in my 20s, it was kind of a "given" that if I go over a friend's or to my sister's at night, and we were drinking, I'd crash there rather than drive afterward. Same if they came to my place. Unless we lived very close by, we'd just go to a friend's house with a bag with a toothbrush, deodorant, face washing stuff, etc.

But some time around age 30, we all just dropped that expectation, even though none of us ever talked about it. So at 25, sleeping over after drinking was the default assumption, but at 35, going the heck home was the default assumption.

A few people I knew didn't get the memo, so once, in my mid 30s, I had a friend come over on a week night, and we were drinking wine. I was getting tired, and yawned, and said it's getting late, I have to work in the morning, it's been great seeing you, etc. And she went into the bathroom and washed her face and brushed her teeth, and plopped down on my couch. I remember being surprised and kind of amused. Ten years earlier, I would have seen this as totally acceptable, but in our 30s, it just seemed weird. We were both grown professional women with real jobs.

I guess as a grownup I just make sure I don't drink so much that I get drunk. Also, I carry a pocket breathalyzer and check my BAL before I drive home. It was a great investment. I've never had a DUI, and I'm a little paranoid about driving after drinking even a couple drinks, because who knows if my blood level could be a tiny one-hundredth of a point over?

Old 01-07-2016, 10:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
When we have people over and there is drinking, we insist they stay in our guest room or bring a DD. Late 40s here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships