Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No it wasn't uncalled for. You don't take money from toxic relatives because now you "owe them". The OP played a role in this. Huge mistake to take her money.
He didn't "take money" from her.

His mom supposedly needed help. His sister agreed to move in with her, but then the sister unexpectedly passed away. So he stepped in under duress, right after his own sister died, and tried to make the best of a difficult situation, with a family of his own and no real way to a) afford to buy a place they all could share or b) move his mother into another acceptable facility.

They both agreed on what happened.

What he did NOT sign up for was to be harassed and manipulated.

I used to agree with 99% of your posts, but in the past few months you have had a bizarrely cruel edge that taints them. This is another example.

It's not as if this guy held his mother for ransom. She put herself in this position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,218,928 times
Here is to a jubilant household in 5 days, OP. You need to bring your wife roses.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:50 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,554,562 times
Oh, most definitely hook that wife up. She's a saint for putting up with that situation, I'd do something extra-surprising for her if it were me.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
He didn't "take money" from her.

His mom supposedly needed help. His sister agreed to move in with her, but then the sister unexpectedly passed away. So he stepped in under duress, right after his own sister died, and tried to make the best of a difficult situation, with a family of his own and no real way to a) afford to buy a place they all could share or b) move his mother into another acceptable facility.

They both agreed on what happened.

What he did NOT sign up for was to be harassed and manipulated.

I used to agree with 99% of your posts, but in the past few months you have had a bizarrely cruel edge that taints them. This is another example.

It's not as if this guy held his mother for ransom. She put herself in this position.
She put in 20K, isn't that taking money? It's his house. In the end he profits from the house being worth more.

That 20K could have gone a long way towards her renting an apt on her own.

Look the OP sounds like a decent person, but he played a hand in this as well. Her relationships with her siblings speaks volumes.

As far as my posts go, I call it like I see it. You don't move a toxic relative in and don't take their money, now you put yourself in a position of owing them. Which is what happened.

She sounds like a difficult woman but the OP towards the end got overly dramatic. Was she chasing him with knives, or standing over his bed at night grinning with a knife, because he certainly made it sound that way.

I agree with most of your posts, but I find with you think you're never wrong on any subject.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:46 AM

51,660 posts, read 25,900,536 times
Quote:
She put in 20K, isn't that taking money? It's his house. In the end he profits from the house being worth more.

If she had rented an apartment and paid utilities right from the get go, it is likely hat money would be long gone by now.

She benefited by having a place to live with family. Too bad she didn't recognize what a sweet deal she had and do her part.

Water under the bridge.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:16 AM

51,660 posts, read 25,900,536 times
$600/month is a modest amount to pay for rent and utilities. In most parts of the country, this will only get you a room and your share of the utilities..

48 $600.00 $28,800.00

So by my calculations, OP's mother is coming out about $8K to the good.

Enough about the OP taking financial advantage of his other. Looks to me to be the other way around.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:53 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,446,548 times
4 More Days!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:22 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,740,457 times
Quote:

Look the OP sounds like a decent person, but he played a hand in this as well. Her relationships with her siblings speaks volumes.

As far as my posts go, I call it like I see it. You don't move a toxic relative in and don't take their money, now you put yourself in a position of owing them. Which is what happened.

She sounds like a difficult woman but the OP towards the end got overly dramatic. Was she chasing him with knives, or standing over his bed at night grinning with a knife, because he certainly made it sound that way.

I agree with most of your posts, but I find with you think you're never wrong on any subject.
He paid her back.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:52 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,773,377 times
Quote:
You don't move a toxic relative in and don't take their money, now you put yourself in a position of owing them. Which is what happened.
I think it's fairly obvious that the OP did not realize how toxic the mother was going to be before he moved her in. Live and learn, hindsight's 20/20, all that....

Just move on from here, OP, and don't look back. You did the right thing paying her back, and both of you will be better off from now on. Good for you for standing up to her! Just keep doing what you're doing as it seems to be working.

I would suggest taking in a carefully screened renter to recoup the $20,000.

Thanks for keeping us updated...we're all pulling for you!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:56 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,773,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingsoul52 View Post
She makes comments of "I guess I'll just be alone from now on",
Yeah, my MIL is "alone" too, even though we live about 4 miles from her and other son lives just a stone's throw away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships