Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:33 PM

22,622 posts, read 47,758,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
It wouldn't be the first thing out of my mouth, but most disabled people I know are quite open to discussing it.

Yes, we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:41 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,984,217 times
No, I wouldn't ask

If they want to share that information with me, that's up to them.

I don't like to make others feel uncomfortable or talk about things they don't want to talk about. If they have a disability it is an unfortunate event regardless, how they acquire their disability doesn't change anything.

But I know some people feel entitled to know everything, like others "owe" them an explanation. Eff them.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:56 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,666,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
No, I wouldn't ask

If they want to share that information with me, that's up to them.

I don't like to make others feel uncomfortable or talk about things they don't want to talk about. If they have a disability it is an unfortunate event regardless, how they acquire their disability doesn't change anything.

But I know some people feel entitled to know everything, like others "owe" them an explanation. Eff them.

Exactly, you simply ask "how are you" or "how are things going". That let's them decide how much they want to share. They may not feel like talking about it.

I remember years ago after I got laid off due to a long drawn out corporate major I knew this woman(a neighbor) and the first thing out of her mouth was "did you find a job yet?", it wasn't concern it was just being nosy, never offered any help networking.

Not "good morning", or "how are you", first thing out of her mouth was "did you find a job yet?"

I finally told her to not do that anymore, that maybe the person doesn't want to discuss that every time they see you. She was a little miffed, too bad....LOL.

Let the person who has the issue, decide what they want to say or not say.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:30 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,542,594 times
I keep all convos neutral - how are you, good to see you again...if they want to bring it up that's fine but I probe for nothing....there are too many "rules"....don't say this, say that, phrase it this way, avert your eyes while asking question #2, don't hurt his feelings, be sure not to shame her, etc etc

Old 02-11-2016, 09:33 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,810,948 times
I haven't read through all the responses, but I can offer my personal insight.

Several years ago, I developed some GI problems. It took several months for a diagnosis, and during that time I lost over 45 pounds. I was the smallest I had been in a LONG time. I loved hearing the comments from people I hadn't seen since all that started. If they asked HOW I lost all that weight, I simply said "You don't want to know!" (Easier than giving them TMI!)

About 2 years ago, I started using a cane due to arthroscopic hip surgery. That gets me more than the weight loss. I'm 52 years old, but I get so sick of older people telling me I'm too young to have hip problems! (Some doctors even tell me that.) I also have a handicap placard to use on days when I can't walk very far. My hip problems are not related to weight, although the weight certainly doesn't help.

My advice.... don't bring it up. Smile and ask "how have you been?" If they bring it up, just be supportive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships