Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:05 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times

Advertisements

It takes 2 to argue. If you just nod and agree with what she says (no matter if you agree or not), then theres no argument.

Its up to you to be the bigger person. If you cant....then argue away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:31 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
I've got a rather volatile mother who had some truly awful moments while I was growing up. She could tear me down like nobody's business, and has always had a hair-trigger temper. You're in your 20s, and it's time to consider the kind of person you want to be. You've been habituated all your life to think this kind of emotional chaos is normal.

Do you really want to be the sort of person who starts arguments for the entertainment value? Do you really want to add strife to your life by pushing your mother's buttons? Do these encounters add to your personal happiness?

What worked for me was setting boundaries with my mother and putting her at an emotional distance. This is easier to do when you're not living together, so you should probably move out.

My mother knows that I will leave, hang up the phone or simply disengage if she crosses lines. I don't want to participate in her drama. My mother was very unhappy in her marriage when I was growing up, and she took a lot of her frustration and anger out on me. I understand WHY she did it, and I basically feel bad she couldn't figure out how to be happy. I'm not gonna say I forgive her, but I understand it. I accept the fact that she will never apologize for some of the things she said to me or the misery she caused me. It just doesn't signify anymore, except as a warning to me about how much I let her in.

I love her, but I am 40 years old and right now I'm JUST letting her begin to get closer to me. My focus has not been on getting back at my mother for all those accumulated offenses, but on living a happy life. And it's worked - I'm amazingly happy. And my mother is not my problem.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:45 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,431 times
Time to leave, OP. Ever thought about the military?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:22 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I had a toxic relationship with most of my family. Over the past few years I have cut ties with them and have no regrets. If your relationship with someone is still bad by the time you hit 30 it is never going to work. Time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships