Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:29 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,240,523 times

Advertisements

What is the proper greeting of someone you haven't seen in a long time that is now handicapped? Should you just ignore it and ask how they are doing or what they have been up to?

My friend saw someone who has lost a lot of weight and used a cane at a social function. He was taken aback and didn't want to offend the person by asking what happened to him. At the same time my friend wondered if he should have acknowledged that person's situation.

Say if you saw someone who's obviously been in an accident or illness, should you not ask and just have a normal conversation and wait till that person brings it up? Or should you offer sympathies?

I'm not prejudiced against handicapped people because I know anything can happen and our health is never guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,609,552 times
Just ignore it and greet them as you do everyone else. Then if circumstances lead you to actually have a true conversation, you can ask open ended questions like, "What have you been doing since we last saw each other in (school, church, work, whatever). That way you gracefully provide them with a way to either bring it up or not. But don't bring it up yourself, and don't dwell on it if they do bring it up. BTW I am one of them, and appreciate your inquiry.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:14 PM

7,071 posts, read 6,344,607 times
I agree. After a car accident I have certainly changed. I now walk with a cane & do not mind folks that ask.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:35 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,805,437 times
OP, why not just ask he person how they are doing? You can show support and concern without embarrassing yourself, I hope.

Oh, and it's really magnanimous of you not to be "prejudiced against handicapped people." Jesus!

Old 01-30-2016, 01:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,519,777 times
Quote:
OP, why not just ask he person how they are doing? You can show support and concern without embarrassing yourself, I hope.
Completely agree. I think it would be really awkward to "not" notice a significant change in health/mobility. Shock would be overboard, but certainly it's fine to ask how things are going.

Your friend is so lucky you're not prejudiced... That seems an odd comment. I would hope you wouldn't hold people's health status against them!

Old 01-31-2016, 02:47 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,793,221 times
Don't say your friend is "handicapped". Say they have a disability.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:43 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,630,575 times
I think the only "should" is to do/say what you're comfortable with. It isn't right or wrong to mention any changes or to ignore them. Knowing me, after we greeted each other, if we continued to chat, I'd almost always ask about an obvious change like that directly. For one thing, I'd be genuinely concerned, and for another I might be able to assist them in some way - like with useful information or resources. I work with people with special needs, am a naturally curious and caring person, and people tend to open up with me. When you're not self-conscious about discussing personal matters, others tend to be receptive to the inquiry. If you feel awkward asking, it could come across more like you're being nosy or gossipy instead of just being real with someone.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:48 PM

404 posts, read 482,374 times
It wouldn't be the first thing out of my mouth, but most disabled people I know are quite open to discussing it.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:07 AM

924 posts, read 1,684,329 times
I would never, ever, ever ask about a person's change in weight in either direction. What you perceive and what they might actually be experiencing can be two completely different things and can be highly personal.

If someone I know suddenly showed up with something obvious but temporary looking, like crutches or a cast, I think it would be almost silly not to ask what happened, express sympathy and wishes for a speedy recovery and refrain from telling every tale of every person you ever heard of with a similar condition.

To me, a cane is like eye glasses or a hearing aid. I don't comment on those so I wouldn't comment on the cane either. The nature of these devices really tell you all you need to know about the person's condition as it relates to you in that moment. If you really are entitled to know why they have a hearing loss or mobility issue, then you probably already do.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:46 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,430,957 times
I have a lot of friends with disabilities and serious health problems (weird, random chance). Frankly, if this was a friend I cared about with an obvious disability I had not seen before, I'd just say "What happened? How are you feeling?" He or she is my friend and I care about whether they're in pain or suffering or if I should accommodate their disability.

For example, my roommate hears great with her hearing aids in, so if I was speaking loudly and clearly right at her face, she'd find it annoying. However, I know some people who can only hear a little with a hearing aid and still need someone to speak clearly and loudly to them while facing them.

And if the person in question doesn't want to talk about it, they can just tell me they don't want to talk about it. Anyone who knows me even a little bit knows why I'm asking and that I'm going to respect their boundaries.

If it was just weight loss and no visible disability, then I'd just ask how they were doing and let them tell me. Sometimes that can be a good thing and sometimes it's a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships