Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:08 AM

10,185 posts, read 7,848,445 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on family members taking pictures of open caskets and other pics at church and grave-site during the funeral?

What about if your family member child is being baptized, is it ok to stand there and snap pictures with your cell phone during the ceremony and even during prayer? Shouldn't you be in the moment instead of worrying about getting the perfect picture to later share with friends?

It just boggles my mind but maybe it's the way the world is these days and I just need to get with the times.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 02-18-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 11:21 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,463,147 times
Where I grew up, taken pictures at wakes and funerals was fairly common. Due to the large number of first and second generation immigrants in our neighborhoods, these pictures were sent back "home" to the rest of the family. Back then, you just didn't phone overseas - and we certainly didn't have any form of "Skype" or email. We used to send air mail letters that looked like this. And the paper was basically onion skin - it wasn't regular stationery. When someone died, it MIGHT warrant a very quick phone call with no details, but pics and the obit, etc. would be mailed later.

So yes, funeral photography is a thing - and I've been around it all my life. There's no disrespect involved, and it's far from new.

ETA That being said, I can certainly imagine it being more of a traditional, cultural or generational thing in that you're not familiar with it.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:23 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,070,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
What are your thoughts on family members taking pictures of open caskets and other sights at church and at the grave-site of the dead and all the family and friends?
I always find this strange. It's not the way I want to remember the deceased, and I can't see any reason why I would want to later look through such pictures.

Quote:
What about if your family member child is being baptized, is it ok to stand there and snap pictures with your cell phone during the ceremony and even during prayer? Shouldn't you be in the moment instead of worrying about getting the perfect picture to later share with friends?

It just boggles my mind but maybe it's the way the world is these days and I just need to get with the times.
During prayer? No. But at other appropriate times is fine. I have pictures from my baptism 30 years ago, so it's not really a new thing.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:33 AM

I would never ever want anyone taking my open casket picture and then pass it around for all to see. Maybe I need to put that in my will.....no cameras. I can respect if it doesn't bother others but to me it seems strange and disrespectful. I want all the people around me mourning and too sad to want to snap pictures of my dead body lying in a casket or getting ready to be buried. Just remember me living and in happier times....not dead and cold and hard in a casket or being put underground.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:37 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,940,370 times
I don't think it's disrespectful.

People grieve in their own ways. If that involves taking a picture to remember the deceased by, then that's fine.

When I'm dead, I certainly won't care if anyone is taking a picture of me.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:50 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,237,864 times
The few photographs that I have seen taken before a funeral or at a visitation, tended to be more of a panoramic view to see all of the floral displays around the casket and not close-ups of the deceased.

When we did that at our parents funerals, it was more for us to remember how loved they were that so many people sent flowers.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:53 AM

185 posts, read 242,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't think it's disrespectful.

People grieve in their own ways. If that involves taking a picture to remember the deceased by, then that's fine.

When I'm dead, I certainly won't care if anyone is taking a picture of me.

I agree, in fact, we can take it one step further into Frank Reynolds territory and they can throw me in the trash when I'm done. But seriously I agree with an earlier poster that it's more of a generational/cultural thing whether this can be viewed as inappropriate or not. I think taking a selfie with a dead person in a casket and a big smile on your face is universally shunned though, I've seen a few with kids doing that with their dead grandparent.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
I agree, in fact, we can take it one step further into Frank Reynolds territory and they can throw me in the trash when I'm done. But seriously I agree with an earlier poster that it's more of a generational/cultural thing whether this can be viewed as inappropriate or not. I think taking a selfie with a dead person in a casket and a big smile on your face is universally shunned though, I've seen a few with kids doing that with their dead grandparent.
Wow, unbelievable.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,695,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I would never ever want anyone taking my open casket picture and then pass it around for all to see. Maybe I need to put that in my will.....no cameras. I can respect if it doesn't bother others but to me it seems strange and disrespectful. I want all the people around me mourning and too sad to want to snap pictures of my dead body lying in a casket or getting ready to be buried. Just remember me living and in happier times....not dead and cold and hard in a casket or being put underground.
Not only that but in most cases the deceased doesn't look like themselves at all.

My cousin did this with both her parents. She than sent out the pictures. I was looking through pictures and came across it, her mother looked awful, for lack of a better word "clown like" with the makeup. I ripped it up. Here were all these nice pictures of her parents she sent through the years and than in the middle was this one.

Why would want to have that ingrained in your mind?

Old 02-18-2016, 12:47 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,575,903 times
Isn't a concern to me, as I've asked to be cremated. But would I ever ever take pictures at such a sacred moment? No. Put the phone away, get off facebook, and pay your respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships