Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 12:53 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
What are your thoughts on family members taking pictures of open caskets and other pics at church and grave-site during the funeral?

What about if your family member child is being baptized, is it ok to stand there and snap pictures with your cell phone during the ceremony and even during prayer? Shouldn't you be in the moment instead of worrying about getting the perfect picture to later share with friends?

It just boggles my mind but maybe it's the way the world is these days and I just need to get with the times.
I find it VERY creepy to take photos at a funeral. I know some don't.

There are people who hire photographers for the occasions you mention. With everyone have a smart phone today, it's pretty hard to say to no photos or to stop people. Times are changing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 12:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I would never ever want anyone taking my open casket picture and then pass it around for all to see. Maybe I need to put that in my will.....no cameras. I can respect if it doesn't bother others but to me it seems strange and disrespectful. I want all the people around me mourning and too sad to want to snap pictures of my dead body lying in a casket or getting ready to be buried. Just remember me living and in happier times....not dead and cold and hard in a casket or being put underground.
Your will won't dictate what people can do at a funeral. That's not how a will works at all.

You also can't stop people from taking photos. You'll be dead! No one needs a camera to take photos. A phone works well.

You don't get to dictate how people mourn and that they have to be too sad to do something. Sounds like you have some control issues. Remember, you'll be dead! You won't be there! It's not like you'd be able to sit up and yell at Aunt Sally for texting.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:04 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,771,805 times
I didn't attend my father's funeral. My uncle took pics of my father in his casket since I could not be there. I felt it was a service to me since I could not attend because seeing the pics of my father in a casket helped me accept the death. I had no issue with it and I think it should be the family preference.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:13 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,146,486 times
Weird and morbid. Witnessed this more then once. Pictures get uploaded to FB and Instagram. There are times where cameras and social media need to not be involved.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:14 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
at least prop them up for Pete's sake

Old 02-18-2016, 01:58 PM

10,122 posts, read 7,788,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Weird and morbid. Witnessed this more then once. Pictures get uploaded to FB and Instagram. There are times where cameras and social media need to not be involved.
Exactly and they did upload them. And I agree to put the phone down and mourn for Pete's sake. People want to take pics of everything.

There is a music video that Chris Daughtry did called "Waiting for Superman". I love that video. Watching it also reminds me of how picture crazy more people have become these days. There is a part where a guy is about to commit suicide and jump out of a tall building. People are down below staring and taking pictures and video as if wanting to catch the moment he plummets to the ground and dies. It's sad but that's how the world is these days. Nothing is off limits. Next people will be taking pics of their loved ones during the cremation process.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:05 PM

10,122 posts, read 7,788,407 times
Getting baptized to me seems like a very personal thing to do in a church with your church family. I don't get the need to not be involved in watching the actual service and praying with your family because you are taking pics and video especially during a prayer? Do other people not there really need to see this?

What did people do before cell phones? I don't remember people bringing out their Polaroids in church. lol We got by and enjoyed 'the moments' more. Not everyone needs to see every event in everyone's life.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 02-18-2016 at 02:15 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 02:44 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,807,496 times
To each his own but nobody is going to look at my remains let alone photograph them and I only want pictures of someone I love while they're alive. I don't want a reminder of the final moment, I want to focus on the happy moments. Lots and lots of happy moment pictures for me please.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:51 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,395,551 times
Post Mortem Photography Photo Gallery by Gregory Sullivan at pbase.com

It was more common in the late 1800's. ^ That site is pretty morbidly fascinating. People used to pose the deceased.

In our collection of photographs from our grandparents there are many photographs of the open casket and many with family gather around the casket. A different era.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:14 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,695 times
GROSS.

I want to remember them alive, not as corpses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships