Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
While his actions might have been rude, you were not a very gracious host/ess. When I have someone at my house I make sure they have a comfortable place to sit. An office chair is not comfortable unless you are a college student living in a dorm. If someone asks for two creamers, give them two creamers.

Don't invite him over if you are not prepared to treat him like a guest.
Exactly. Who has a houseguest coming and doesn't stop by the supermarket so there is some food and drink in the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 08:48 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
In the OP's defense, it sounds like it was a last minute invitation to come over with no previous expectations. It's not always easy to have guest friendly food on hand particularly if you yourself overindulge in junk food if it is in the house or you have a specific budget.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
In the OP's defense, it sounds like it was a last minute invitation to come over with no previous expectations. It's not always easy to have guest friendly food on hand particularly if you yourself overindulge in junk food if it is in the house or you have a specific budget.
I agree, and I'm sure these are young people. Having guests was a different thing in my early 20's than it is now.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:53 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Sounds like a keeper to me! I'd say you should snap him up as quickly as you can and marry him! Make him put a ring on it, girl! As soon as possible.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I have a friend who stays up all night. I do not always, but sometimes I do.

Which I will get to later.

But, isn't this rude?

I have a love-seat up against a wall a few feet too far to watch TV from. And frankly, it's a clean laundry hamper, which is my right :-)

I offer an office like chair and my friend makes a big show of how uncomfortable it is - which is rude to begin with, imo.

He doesn't say 'do you mind if we clear off this love seat?'

He just pulls it out and sits on my laundry!

I said no no, and put it in a basket.

Then he took the cushion - the one you're supposed to lean against - and sat ON it.

I was like hello?

There is more, but I will start with that.

I don't know how to deal with someone who takes charge of my space, in general.

Besides banishing him from it.

I don't want to make him feel like he's on eggshells but I am sure not willing to feel that way in my own home!
So you don't have a closet? Or a dresser? A love seat is an awful place for laundry.

Where did YOU sit? Was YOUR seat comfortable? More comfortable than your guest's?

And couch cushions...not always comfortable to lean on. You seem pretty bossy, dictating to guests how they can sit in your house!

Old 02-21-2016, 09:03 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This one has been settled but it's another example.

I had one coke and one sprite.

I asked if he'd like one of them.

He chose the sprite.

Later, he got up and just TOOK the coke.

The last beverage in the fridge.

I was like ??????????

Doesn't everyone know not to take the last of something?

Plus, until someone invites you to help yourself, in my world, one does not.

If someone offered for me to go take a coke and I saw it was the last, I'd say 'hey, this is your last one' to make sure that was ok!

Anyway, I never invited him to help himself.
A GRACIOUS host will offer food and beverages to the guest first. Make sure there is enough. YOU can drink water if you have a guest. Guests always get the best.

You seem young.

My 20-something sons have learned this - their guests get the preferred food and beverages, and they always make sure there is plenty.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Wow. When someone comes to my house I do my best to make them feel comfortable and welcome. I kind of get the impression that you don't enjoy entertaining?

Yes it's your house, and yes you have someone in it that isn't you. How can you expect someone else to walk in your shoes when you have two different sizes and needs?

It's sad that the two of you are not compatible room mates but maybe a little more understanding on your part might help. Maybe understanding his needs a little more might make a difference? Does he have back issues that make it difficult to sit in the chair he deems uncomfortable? If so then why would you want someone to endure that pain because you prefer not to put your laundry away?

I finally met one of mt City Data cyber friends in Scotland last June and her and her husband came and picked me up for a wonderful adventure. We were strangers, yet she made me feel comfortable and welcome. She had a pillow for my back because we would be in the car a lot. She had snacks and drinks and a blanket for my legs. They wouldn't let me pay for gas or lunch. I was blown away. It was the same when John and I met up with her and her husband on our last day in Scotland. They took us out for another adventure and we wound up at their house. I felt like I was visiting my sister

I hope they come to America some day because I plan on spoiling the crap out of them. You can bet that there won't be any laundry on my sofa, and I'll probably be the one staying up most of the night. I don't sleep much either. If either of them want to stay up all night I'll show them how to work the remote for the TV and tell them to help themselves to anything they want to eat. Want to stretch out on the sofa and put your feet up? Be my guest, just be aware that the Yorkie may join you.

To me there's nothing worse then feeling unwelcome in someone's house and feeling like you're less important then replaceable things. Especially when clothes are more important then someone's comfort.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:17 AM

964 posts, read 994,711 times
How did this person come to be a guest in your home, OP? He shouldn't be invited back.

That said, I've noticed that few people these days have been raised to practice courteous behavior. Everything is more informal now, and people have no clue that they're being presumptuous. I had a friend who several times tried to invite herself into my home. I take it that she assumed that was ok because we were friends. It forced me on one occasion to say point blank that I wasn't ready to have guests. Another time, we agreed to meet in 1/2 an hour at a coffee shop, but instead she arrived at my door and leaned on the doorbell. I was in the shower at the time, thinking I had 1/2 hour to get ready and drive to the location. I ignored the repeated doorbell rings, and she finally went away, and we met as previously had been agreed upon.

When people help themselves to things that are awkward for you (sitting on your laundry? Really?), it's ok to politely but firmly say, "I'm sorry, I wasn't ready for a guest on such short notice. You're sitting on my laundry. All I have available right now is the chair I offered you." If the clod demands you accommodate him the way he wants, you can say, "This isn't working. Could you come back later after I have a chance to get some groceries and clean up? Or maybe another day?"

I'm annoyed enough at this kind of behavior that I don't mind pushing back a bit. If people don't get the hint, think about it: do you really need friends like that? I bet there's more to their personality that isn't a good fit. That's been the case on the rare occasion I've had a problematic "friend".

Old 02-21-2016, 11:29 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Why do you use furniture for a clothes hamper? Messy house, messy mind?

Old 02-21-2016, 11:32 AM

964 posts, read 994,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Wow. When someone comes to my house I do my best to make them feel comfortable and welcome. I kind of get the impression that you don't enjoy entertaining?

Yes it's your house, and yes you have someone in it that isn't you. How can you expect someone else to walk in your shoes when you have two different sizes and needs?

It's sad that the two of you are not compatible room mates but maybe a little more understanding on your part might help. Maybe understanding his needs a little more might make a difference? Does he have back issues that make it difficult to sit in the chair he deems uncomfortable? If so then why would you want someone to endure that pain because you prefer not to put your laundry away?

I finally met one of mt City Data cyber friends in Scotland last June and her and her husband came and picked me up for a wonderful adventure. We were strangers, yet she made me feel comfortable and welcome. She had a pillow for my back because we would be in the car a lot. She had snacks and drinks and a blanket for my legs. They wouldn't let me pay for gas or lunch. I was blown away. It was the same when John and I met up with her and her husband on our last day in Scotland. They took us out for another adventure and we wound up at their house. I felt like I was visiting my sister

I hope they come to America some day because I plan on spoiling the crap out of them. You can bet that there won't be any laundry on my sofa, and I'll probably be the one staying up most of the night. I don't sleep much either. If either of them want to stay up all night I'll show them how to work the remote for the TV and tell them to help themselves to anything they want to eat. Want to stretch out on the sofa and put your feet up? Be my guest, just be aware that the Yorkie may join you.

To me there's nothing worse then feeling unwelcome in someone's house and feeling like you're less important then replaceable things. Especially when clothes are more important then someone's comfort.
Your C-D cyber friend had been expecting you for some time, and so, had time to prepare, and to plan a nice outing. I think the earlier poster was right that in the OP's case, the guest may have been a spur-the-moment drop-in or invitation, leaving the OP no time to prepare. Those are two radically different scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships