Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:23 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times

Advertisements

My friend's ex-fiancé gets out of prison after a few years. He had been struggling with drug addiction that landed him there. Now he seems to be getting back on track working and being a productive member of society.

Right after being out of prison, he starts hanging around her family again, primarily her parents, and her sister's boyfriend. Him and my friend have no kids together so there's really no reason to be hanging around. He had burned bridges with people with his past drug use. When he and my friend were exclusive at one point, that was when his troubles started including screwing my friend over stealing lots of money among other things he had done to her.

Would any functional, normal family be friends with the ex of their Adult child after the ex screwed their Adult child over? My theory is they see him as a "drinking buddy". They are a family of functional alcoholics, including my friend. She told me it doesn't bother her that he's hanging around. She told me they aren't together anymore They all like to drink regularly on the weekends together. My friend isn't always there since she busy with other things in her life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 03:19 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Alcoholics, even functional ones, make strange decisions. Things don't function normally in their sphere. That's all I can tell you. He may have thought that if they were sympathetic to him when he was going with their daughter, that's a place where he could go for some support. (Dumb, considering he ripped their daughter off and caused problems.) Or it could, indeed, be a "drinking buddies" kind of thing.

And no, this would not be normal for a psychologically-healthy, well-adjusted family.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:30 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
It doesn't seem out of the ordinary for alcoholics or for people who have associates who've done jail/prison time. Once you've accounted for those two dysfunctions - alcohol and prison - it doesn't seem particularly dysfunctional to me.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:38 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My friend's ex-fiancé gets out of prison after a few years. He had been struggling with drug addiction that landed him there. Now he seems to be getting back on track working and being a productive member of society.

Right after being out of prison, he starts hanging around her family again, primarily her parents, and her sister's boyfriend. Him and my friend have no kids together so there's really no reason to be hanging around. He had burned bridges with people with his past drug use. When he and my friend were exclusive at one point, that was when his troubles started including screwing my friend over stealing lots of money among other things he had done to her.

Would any functional, normal family be friends with the ex of their Adult child after the ex screwed their Adult child over? My theory is they see him as a "drinking buddy". They are a family of functional alcoholics, including my friend. She told me it doesn't bother her that he's hanging around. She told me they aren't together anymore They all like to drink regularly on the weekends together. My friend isn't always there since she busy with other things in her life.
uhm.

No.

And him hanging around alcoholics will take him right back to old habits.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

... prison

... drug addiction

... stealing lots of money.

... functional alcoholics

They all like to drink regularly on the weekends together.

Next!

Old 02-24-2016, 03:46 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
It's about as dysfunctional as it gets. He's just going back into the same situation he left. He'd be getting back on track if he found new, non alcoholic, non drug using friends and joined and stayed in AA .

For him to really have a better life, he's have to move away from the past ( to another area) and start over. Instead he is putting himself right back into his past. I'm amazed you can't recognize that.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:53 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
It's about as dysfunctional as it gets. He's just going back into the same situation he left. He'd be getting back on track if he found new, non alcoholic, non drug using friends and joined and stayed in AA .

For him to really have a better life, he's have to move away from the past ( to another area) and start over. Instead he is putting himself right back into his past. I'm amazed you can't recognize that.
My impression is that the OP does recognize that and is here seeking validation and perspectives.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:00 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:

This. When I was young I was a bit on the wild side. I had a group I considered my friends, but when I decided to clean up my act and stopped using, I discovered that I actually had nothing in common with these people outside of our shared substance use. And they didn't really want me around when I wasn't using, either. It felt like judgment to them when I was around and sober.

The family doesn't mind his company because he is a drinking buddy, and like my "friends," alcoholics like hanging out with other alcoholics. It gives them an excuse to drink and they don't have to justify their addiction when they're with a fellow addict.

This is the last place this guy needs to be. It's going to lead him right back down the path that landed him in jail to begin with.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:

That's why I was having doubts about whether what was he was doing was "normal" or not. It seems he's stuck in the past of what may of been "good times" to him with familiar faces. In reality, all it did was bring him down.

For him to better himself and move foward, he really needs to stop "partying" with his ex's family. My friend's dad is being desperate to have drinking buddies around at his home even if it's her ex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
My impression is that the OP does recognize that and is here seeking validation and perspectives.
Nooo, it's good to have other people's perspective when I'm not sure of it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This. When I was young I was a bit on the wild side. I had a group I considered my friends, but when I decided to clean up my act and stopped using, I discovered that I actually had nothing in common with these people outside of our shared substance use. And they didn't really want me around when I wasn't using, either. It felt like judgment to them when I was around and sober.

The family doesn't mind his company because he is a drinking buddy, and like my "friends," alcoholics like hanging out with other alcoholics. It gives them an excuse to drink and they don't have to justify their addiction when they're with a fellow addict.

This is the last place this guy needs to be. It's going to lead him right back down the path that landed him in jail to begin with.
I have found that to be true also.... And yes, alcoholics like being around others that drink as much as they do. They may not even enjoy being around "social drinkers" that know when to quit after 2-3 drinks

Old 02-25-2016, 04:46 AM

Would like more insight please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships