Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:41 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,931,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
It would be much easier to go to an al-non meeting to talk. Since I can't hear well, it would be a waste of my time participating in a group to get a better understanding of what's functional or dysfunctional.
Why can't you get a hearing aid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 11:50 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,498,661 times
Quote:
It would be much easier to go to an al-non meeting to talk. Since I can't hear well, it would be a waste of my time participating in a group to get a better understanding of what's functional or dysfunctional.

Why are you even considering going at all, considering this is a friend's life, not yours.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:01 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,382,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Why can't you get a hearing aid?
I do wear them. It doesn't replace "normal" hearing. Many people think that. Not true. It's a myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Why are you even considering going at all, considering this is a friend's life, not yours.
Right.... She needs to speak for herself.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:55 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,836,421 times
Why do you care so much about these people? You've started a dozen threads on them and from what I can tell you aren't even friends.

You're like that poster always starting threads about finding her neighbor's bra in her bathroom.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:20 PM

59 posts, read 51,109 times
Quote:

Right.... She needs to speak for herself.
Who is this "she"?

If you're talking about your friend, she did. It doesn't bother her apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why do you care so much about these people? You've started a dozen threads on them and from what I can tell you aren't even friends.
Hmm, that there would be a dysfunction staring right back at the OP.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:26 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,382,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

You're like that poster always starting threads about finding her neighbor's bra in her bathroom.
They are acquaintances at the very least. Right now see them roughly twice a month because we are on a league together

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoLair View Post
Who is this "she"?

If you're talking about your friend, she did. It doesn't bother her apparently.

Hmm, that there would be a dysfunction staring right back at the OP.
"she" is referring to my friend. Alcoholics sometimes lie and hide their true feelings.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:30 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,931,316 times
Quote:
They are acquaintances at the very least. Right now see them roughly twice a month because we are on a league together

"she" is referring to my friend. Alcoholics sometimes lie and hide their true feelings.
You do seem overly concerned with the lives of acquaintances that you see twice a month in a league. It sounds to me like you need to have more interests in your own life.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:16 PM

1,038 posts, read 907,076 times
Quote:
My friend's ex-fiancé gets out of prison after a few years. He had been struggling with drug addiction that landed him there. Now he seems to be getting back on track working and being a productive member of society.

Right after being out of prison, he starts hanging around her family again, primarily her parents, and her sister's boyfriend. Him and my friend have no kids together so there's really no reason to be hanging around. He had burned bridges with people with his past drug use. When he and my friend were exclusive at one point, that was when his troubles started including screwing my friend over stealing lots of money among other things he had done to her.

Would any functional, normal family be friends with the ex of their Adult child after the ex screwed their Adult child over? My theory is they see him as a "drinking buddy". They are a family of functional alcoholics, including my friend. She told me it doesn't bother her that he's hanging around. She told me they aren't together anymore They all like to drink regularly on the weekends together. My friend isn't always there since she busy with other things in her life.
A lack of empathy is considered Dysfunctional.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,454,412 times
I think whatever your friend, her family and her ex boyfriend are comfortable with is what they should do no matter what anyone else thinks about it since it really is the business of those involved and no one else.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,782,679 times
Bunch of drug buddies hanging around together. Business as usual ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships