Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:43 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,661,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Then Catholics have got their religion all wrong. Technically, "Catholic" is not a religion; it is a denomination of Christianity. Thus, when OP says her religion is Christianity, she is being accurate. As for the engaged thing, I suppose OP consider herself engaged to God, but that's really reaching.
Yeah, good luck explaining that to Catholics! They don't care about technicalities. Most people don't with things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 12:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,541,270 times
Quote:
And how would a modern person know for a fact that the Bible is true and God exists?
Something you may not have heard of. It's called "faith."

Old 02-28-2016, 12:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,541,270 times
Quote:
Then Catholics have got their religion all wrong. Technically, "Catholic" is not a religion; it is a denomination of Christianity. Thus, when OP says her religion is Christianity, she is being accurate. As for the engaged thing, I suppose OP consider herself engaged to God, but that's really reaching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes most nuns consider themselves married to God .
The word, "catholic" means "universal."

Catholic nuns consider themselves "brides of Christ." It's why they wear wedding rings.

Perhaps the OP is an Episcopalian. They have nuns and high Episcopal churches have a "mass."

Old 02-28-2016, 12:25 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,997,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
And how in the world does a modern person know for a fact that Christians were not persecuted?
Quote:
And how would a modern person know for a fact that the Bible is true and God exists?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Something you may not have heard of. It's called "faith."
Exactly. It cuts both ways. OP can't push her religion on others, then complain about being persecuted. She is free to believe whatever she wants, but so is everyone else, and she is certainly no Mother Superior because she is supposedly planning a monastic life.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:42 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,039,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfancy View Post
when did people start to openly hate those who chose to devote their lives to god?

Old 02-28-2016, 01:36 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,322,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
Ever since I was young I have dreamed of being nun or serving the lord in a positive way. I work hard in school( I am currently a senior in high school) and attend sunday school/dutifully every week. I also volunteer for my church to help with various of volunteer projects often. Anyways I wanted to mention all above so you can get the sense of how devoted I am to my faith.

However I guess the problem is that everyone seems to look down upon me because of faith. Now before you think I am being a drama queen let me recount some incidents that have happened to me a lot every time I am asked about my faith:

1. My biology teacher asked my classmates and I what we wanted to do when we get older, I mentioned the possibility of being a nun. My biology teacher gave me a weird look and then snickered. He then preceded to say," Well you always did strike me as being a bit of a prude Nancy," which of course caused the whole class in burst into laughter. Did you file a complaint on this? I damn sure would have! This was totally unprofessional!

2. This one girl in my English class has this annoying habit of referring to me as "Sister Nancy," I have repeatedly told her to stop do that but she ignored me. She does it on purpose and in a very condescending way. Keep ignoring her.

3. One boy, who knew how I much I love The Virgin Mary, thought it would funny to photoshop the The Virgin Mary's head onto the body of Nicki Manaji in a provocative pose and post it on my locker. I wasn't amuse but apparently every other person in my grade thought it was funny. This boy also wrote Mary is a wh*re on the paper, which I guess was in an attempt to anger me. Keep ignoring him.

4. My English teacher forced me to attend a counseling session at school because she worried about how "obsessive" I was about religion since most of papers I tried to relate to religion. I tried telling her I was not obsessed but religion is the thing I know best compared to other subjects which is why I naturally try to relate it to my papers. She still thinks I am crazy . As long as your work relates to the subjects, I see no problem with it and neither should your school. But you obviously have teachers who can't relate to religion, which I think is the main issue here and worth re-considering on your part.

5. Another guy who is an atheist(I have nothing against them) straight up told me I was delusional nut because I still believed in God. He also went on say that deep down I was probably a sl*t of will become one in the future(for some reason he doesn't believe that I am a virgin?!). I was honestly so shocked by how nasty he was to me I didn't know how to respond. This another classmate of mine. Keep ignoring him.

I have tons of stories similar to these. People honestly seem to hate me because of my devotion to my religion. I have been picked on since the ninth grade and I am getting tired of it.

"People" are a$$holes, plain and simple. Most are either stupid or inconsiderate - some are both - damn few are neither. And you're going to contend with them all throughout your chosen field. You have to grow a thicker skin and hang in there. Since you are a senior, you can stick it out for another few months. Hell with the rest of them.

I don't know if you 'preach' or use a lot of religious content when talking to people in general but this is something that you should NOT do.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:15 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,104,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps the OP is an Episcopalian. They have nuns and high Episcopal churches have a "mass."
Anglican nuns in "acknowledged communities" may also be married, and are not required to take a 'vow of celibacy'.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:29 PM

11,391 posts, read 9,312,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
CCD for us WAS on Sunday after Mass
Me too. I went for years back in the 1960s.

I'm atheist now and have been since 1975.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:36 PM

11,391 posts, read 9,312,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
If you believe in the church that much, talk to a priest. They are trained counselors.
How so, by other priests?

Highly doubt at a accredited university.

One of the last professions I would trust to speak with about anything.

Last edited by John13; 02-28-2016 at 06:46 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 06:59 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,735,105 times
This is a troll post. Too many evangelical expressions and overtones to be believable. It sounds like our old friend, I'm Retired Now is back as a high school girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships