Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 PM

20 posts, read 20,563 times

Advertisements

Ever since I was young I have dreamed of being nun or serving the lord in a positive way. I work hard in school( I am currently a senior in high school) and attend sunday school/dutifully every week. I also volunteer for my church to help with various of volunteer projects often. Anyways I wanted to mention all above so you can get the sense of how devoted I am to my faith.

However I guess the problem is that everyone seems to look down upon me because of faith. Now before you think I am being a drama queen let me recount some incidents that have happened to me a lot every time I am asked about my faith:

1. My biology teacher asked my classmates and I what we wanted to do when we get older, I mentioned the possibility of being a nun. My biology teacher gave me a weird look and then snickered. He then preceded to say," Well you always did strike me as being a bit of a prude Nancy," which of course caused the whole class in burst into laughter.

2. This one girl in my English class has this annoying habit of referring to me as "Sister Nancy," I have repeatedly told her to stop do that but she ignored me. She does it on purpose and in a very condescending way.

3. One boy, who knew how I much I love The Virgin Mary, thought it would funny to photoshop the The Virgin Mary's head onto the body of Nicki Manaji in a provocative pose and post it on my locker. I wasn't amuse but apparently every other person in my grade thought it was funny. This boy also wrote Mary is a wh*re on the paper, which I guess was in an attempt to anger me.

4. My English teacher forced me to attend a counseling session at school because she worried about how "obsessive" I was about religion since most of papers I tried to relate to religion. I tried telling her I was not obsessed but religion is the thing I know best compared to other subjects which is why I naturally try to relate it to my papers. She still thinks I am crazy .

5. Another guy who is an atheist(I have nothing against them) straight up told me I was delusional nut because I still believed in God. He also went on say that deep down I was probably a sl*t of will become one in the future(for some reason he doesn't believe that I am a virgin?!). I was honestly so shocked by how nasty he was to me I didn't know how to respond. This another classmate of mine.

I have tons of stories similar to these. People honestly seem to hate me because of my devotion to my religion. I have been picked on since the ninth grade and I am getting tired of it. When did people start to openly hate those who chose to devote their lives to God? Wasn't that once an honorable position? Please help me, I don't think I can take this anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,704,557 times
If you believe in the church that much, talk to a priest. They are trained counselors.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
It is rude for anyone to make fun of you for your religion. I think they probably do it because it is unusual for someone your age to be so openly devout. Teens who are different get picked on. I'm not saying it's right, but it's common. How do all of these classmates know about your religion? Do you go around school talking about it? If so, tone it down. It's fine to be who you are, but religion isn't something that's polite to talk about in every setting. It would also help to get some more hobbies or interests. All of your school work shouldn't be about religion.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It is rude for anyone to make fun of you for your religion. I think they probably do it because it is unusual for someone your age to be so openly devout. Teens who are different get picked on. I'm not saying it's right, but it's common.
How do all of these classmates know about your religion? Do you go around school talking about it? If so, tone it down. It's fine to be who you are, but religion isn't something that's polite to talk about in every setting. It would also help to get some more hobbies or interests. All of your school work shouldn't be about religion.

How do all of these classmates know about your religion? That is my question, too.

I have known several people who were very devote Christians but they were not teased because they did not go around talking about religion incessantly. Even when they did things like quietly pray before they ate meals they did not make a "big deal" about it.

Frankly, I suspect that you make a "big deal" about religion and talk about it all the time.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 PM

My classmate know about my religion because I am active in my Church which does a lot of projects for my school. I also mentioned that I wanted to be a nun to close "friends" who I guess spread the word. I am not one to rub my religion in other people's faces, I find that distasteful and rude.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times
Are you in public school?

Old 02-24-2016, 08:36 PM

Yes, I am in public school. My family cannot afford private school.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 PM

465 posts, read 609,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
Ever since I was young I have dreamed of being nun or serving the lord in a positive way. I work hard in school( I am currently a senior in high school) and attend sunday school/dutifully every week. I also volunteer for my church to help with various of volunteer projects often. Anyways I wanted to mention all above so you can get the sense of how devoted I am to my faith.

However I guess the problem is that everyone seems to look down upon me because of faith. Now before you think I am being a drama queen let me recount some incidents that have happened to me a lot every time I am asked about my faith:

1. My biology teacher asked my classmates and I what we wanted to do when we get older, I mentioned the possibility of being a nun. My biology teacher gave me a weird look and then snickered. He then preceded to say," Well you always did strike me as being a bit of a prude Nancy," which of course caused the whole class in burst into laughter.

2. This one girl in my English class has this annoying habit of referring to me as "Sister Nancy," I have repeatedly told her to stop do that but she ignored me. She does it on purpose and in a very condescending way.

3. One boy, who knew how I much I love The Virgin Mary, thought it would funny to photoshop the The Virgin Mary's head onto the body of Nicki Manaji in a provocative pose and post it on my locker. I wasn't amuse but apparently every other person in my grade thought it was funny. This boy also wrote Mary is a wh*re on the paper, which I guess was in an attempt to anger me.

4. My English teacher forced me to attend a counseling session at school because she worried about how "obsessive" I was about religion since most of papers I tried to relate to religion. I tried telling her I was not obsessed but religion is the thing I know best compared to other subjects which is why I naturally try to relate it to my papers. She still thinks I am crazy .

5. Another guy who is an atheist(I have nothing against them) straight up told me I was delusional nut because I still believed in God. He also went on say that deep down I was probably a sl*t of will become one in the future(for some reason he doesn't believe that I am a virgin?!). I was honestly so shocked by how nasty he was to me I didn't know how to respond. This another classmate of mine.

I have tons of stories similar to these. People honestly seem to hate me because of my devotion to my religion. I have been picked on since the ninth grade and I am getting tired of it. When did people start to openly hate those who chose to devote their lives to God? Wasn't that once an honorable position? Please help me, I don't think I can take this anymore.
1) tell your parents what the biology teacher said. The principal should reprimand him.

2) 3) & 5) if you think those tribulations are tough, think about what the early Christians went through. Lions anyone?

4) If you do have a calling, best of luck to you. But even the Church screens out obsessive applicants. Your counselor is doing her job. Get a well rounded education. If you are taking a biology class, religion doesn't come into play, other than believing that God set the big bang in motion. This idea/debate was discussed about 5 mins. out of the whole 2 semesters of biology I took in high school.

As others mentioned, tone it down a little since you are in public school.

But good luck and I will pray for you!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 PM

Thank you King of the South for your advice. I already informed my school counselor about my Biology's teacher's behavior, nothing was done. I suspect because my school counselor is friends with my Biology teacher( I have seen them eat lunch together often) which is why nothing was done about it. I will try again though.

I have to ask what happen to honoring and respecting those who choose to serve God? I fear for future children who wish to serve God but are discouraged by bullies. What a sad world we live in today.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
Thank you King of the South for your advice. I already informed my school counselor about my Biology's teacher's behavior, nothing was done. I suspect because my school counselor is friends with my Biology teacher( I have seen them eat lunch together often) which is why nothing was done about it. I will try again though.

I have to ask what happen to honoring and respecting those who choose to serve God? I fear for future children who wish to serve God but are discouraged by bullies. What a sad world we live in today.
You are old enough to understand that faith is a personal matter. You are entitled to your beliefs, others won't always share them. You sound sanctimonious. I think you talk about it more than you're admitting to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships