Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,934,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
My classmate know about my religion because I am active in my Church which does a lot of projects for my school. I also mentioned that I wanted to be a nun to close "friends" who I guess spread the word. I am not one to rub my religion in other people's faces, I find that distasteful and rude.

I think the part about telling people you "want to be a nun" is the kicker. There are a lot of Christians out there who don't go that far, so they blend in. But being a nun is a whole other step people aren't really comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 08:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,770,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
oh god..... whatever will this poster come up with next havent you read his other thread on carrying a gun and his new baby..... relenteless..
I saw that thread, but didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Trolling post.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,842,572 times
This reminds me of a movie called Mermaids with Cher. It's about a mentally unstable teenager obsessed with the Catholic religion (Winona Ryder) and her less then virtuous mother (Cher). Christina Ricci is adorable and plays the younger sibling who almost drowns when Winona decides to pay a visit to her much older boyfriend. Check it out, it's a great movie.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:04 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,483,186 times
Quote:

From your posts and your alias, I get the impression you think so highly of yourself because of your faith that you are condescending to others, and that's why they don't like you. They just use your fanatical obsession with your religion to get back at you for that holier-than-thou attitude.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,483,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You sound sanctimonious.

Bingo +1

Old 02-25-2016, 09:12 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,489,255 times
Quote:
Ever since I was young I have dreamed of being nun or serving the lord in a positive way. I work hard in school( I am currently a senior in high school) and attend sunday school/dutifully every week. I also volunteer for my church to help with various of volunteer projects often. Anyways I wanted to mention all above so you can get the sense of how devoted I am to my faith.

However I guess the problem is that everyone seems to look down upon me because of faith. Now before you think I am being a drama queen let me recount some incidents that have happened to me a lot every time I am asked about my faith:

1. My biology teacher asked my classmates and I what we wanted to do when we get older, I mentioned the possibility of being a nun. My biology teacher gave me a weird look and then snickered. He then preceded to say," Well you always did strike me as being a bit of a prude Nancy," which of course caused the whole class in burst into laughter.

2. This one girl in my English class has this annoying habit of referring to me as "Sister Nancy," I have repeatedly told her to stop do that but she ignored me. She does it on purpose and in a very condescending way.

3. One boy, who knew how I much I love The Virgin Mary, thought it would funny to photoshop the The Virgin Mary's head onto the body of Nicki Manaji in a provocative pose and post it on my locker. I wasn't amuse but apparently every other person in my grade thought it was funny. This boy also wrote Mary is a wh*re on the paper, which I guess was in an attempt to anger me.

4. My English teacher forced me to attend a counseling session at school because she worried about how "obsessive" I was about religion since most of papers I tried to relate to religion. I tried telling her I was not obsessed but religion is the thing I know best compared to other subjects which is why I naturally try to relate it to my papers. She still thinks I am crazy .

5. Another guy who is an atheist(I have nothing against them) straight up told me I was delusional nut because I still believed in God. He also went on say that deep down I was probably a sl*t of will become one in the future(for some reason he doesn't believe that I am a virgin?!). I was honestly so shocked by how nasty he was to me I didn't know how to respond. This another classmate of mine.

I have tons of stories similar to these. People honestly seem to hate me because of my devotion to my religion. I have been picked on since the ninth grade and I am getting tired of it. When did people start to openly hate those who chose to devote their lives to God? Wasn't that once an honorable position? Please help me, I don't think I can take this anymore.
I think your biology teacher was wrong to have said that about your being a prude. That's pretty unprofessional, to subject a student to that kind of commentary and ridicule in front of the class.

Your English teacher may have a point. If you only write about one topic over and over, it shows a narrow focus bordering on obsession. It's one thing to have a strong faith, it's another thing entirely to focus on that to the point of excluding other topics, and to bring it up every chance you get.

Which brings me to my next point: Numbers 2, 3, and 5 are rude, but they go with the territory when you go around talking about your religion or wear it on your sleeve. Drop the sackcloth and ashes bit, per your own bible, and learn to keep your religion to yourself as the personal thing it is and should be.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:03 AM

20 posts, read 20,590 times
I do not talk about my religion with others, nor do I put other people down for their religion. I only bring it up when other people ask about it. I am not trolling, I have been reading the religious/spiritual forum as well as the other forums here related to travel(I stumbled across this forum in attempt to find a good place in Florida for my mom and I to vacation) fora while before I made an account.

I am a very shy person usually, my online persona is nothing how I am in real life, here I am more bold but in real life I am as quiet as a mouse. To the person who said why I attend Sunday school but not Mass, I do attend Mass with my mother regularly as well. I am not lying about my church volunteering at my school, they usually host drives to help foster kids or try to raise money for abused children by hosting dances. Thank you for all your replies, and God bless.

Last edited by NancyFancy; 02-25-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-25-2016, 10:21 AM

51,239 posts, read 36,914,191 times
I don't think it's about your religion. I think for some reason, your personality has just drawn people that like to make fun of and mock you...if you react and let them know it bugs you, that just gives them the green light to ramp it up. They are picking on your religion because that is the "target" you offered up and let them know it bugs you to be teased about it, so that is what they picked to tease you about. Don't let them know it bothers you and they should stop. It does sound however like you could use some help with social skills.

In terms of papers you can't just write about what you know; the whole point of most assignments is to make students expand their minds. Think of something aside from religion, and from now on leave religion at home. There is no reason to be discussing it nor writing papers on it unless you are in a private religious school.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:26 AM

2,078 posts, read 2,027,406 times
My youngest daughter wants to live the religious life as well and has since she was little . We are an alternative family of fine artists , tattoo artists ( same thing really) musicians and professional equestrians and she shreds like Joan Jett wears odd contact lenses and is VERY goth.

It's definitely a calling . Forget these people calling you names. Even though my husband and I don't always go to mass we have been Catholic forever and his happy a** family in Holland was always doing things like putting a screensaver on my laptop of the Pope smoking a joint etc ...
Teacher was out of line
When the miss popular calls you "Sister Nancy" tell her, "and I OWN It babe" She will shut up ad be totally shocked by your response especially with you being so shy . I did that with the Pope smoking the joint thing - I asked if they could photoshop a pic of ME smoking a joint right along with him.. they left me alone hahahahaha !

Otherwise just keep that part of your life to yourself , we live in a very wild world and people can act and be very strange .

I told my priest once how that dutch family pounded on me about that and other stuff with only the very knowledge that I was still a practicing Catholic.

I never spoke of it to ANYONE but TWICE - asking one of them where there may be a Catholic church still open, I wanted to go to midnight mass and meditate. They have turned most in Holland into city halls - shame , they are architecturally stunning and ancient. The other was insisting that Ma ( mom inlaw) have her rosary beads in her hands I'd given her during her battle with Cancer when she passed away. She loved those beads and loved that I'd had them blessed by the pope, held them constantly and I SWORE to her she would have them when she died. Plus she was my #1 advocate in that family . I owed her alot.

Priest said to remind yourself they are just acting like children .

Carry on with your dreams and Peace Be With You

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 02-25-2016 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships