Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 05:31 PM

480 posts, read 668,453 times

Advertisements

OK, dogs in stores apparently is becoming the norm.

Problem is my daughter is deathly afraid of dogs. It's annoying to us as parents as we have to pick her up if there is a dog within 100', but now that she is getting bigger and soon will enter public school, it will become a problem if she doesn't outgrow this issue.

I've had two social issues that have been a little hard to handle "correctly".

Instance #1: On hiking trail, stopped at a hiker's break area with picnic tables. Daughter is sitting on top of picnic tables. Another hiker with dogs off leash approaches, and dogs get excited to see daughter and scamper up on top of picnic table. Daughter freaks out as she doesn't want dogs running toward her.

Instance #2: In store today. Dog enters store. Daughter gets nervous. Dog starts to bark at daughter.

How would you handle either of those two situations? Especially the dogs in stores situation.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
What kind of stores?

Old 03-06-2016, 06:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
1. Make sure you know the rules of the park. It is very rare that a park wouldn't have a rule about dogs being on leashes. Know the rule, and politely share it with the off leash people. On your way out, report the to the park attendant/ranger.

2. Complain to the manager.

If anyone gives you flack, explain that your daughter's need to feel safe supersedes their need to have their dog off leash or in a store. They will tell you that their dog would NEVER hurt anyone. But that doesn't do much for your daughter's fear!

Old 03-06-2016, 06:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
My son had the same fear when he was younger. If ever we had a situation I would sternly say to the owner "my son is deathly afraid of dogs, please leash your dog". I always got the remark the dog was friendly. I let them know it didn't matter, but honestly no one cared.

My son finally got over his fear of dogs by going to a friend's house for the weekend that had a really friendly dog. We slowly introduced them, let him pet and play with the dog. Now he loves dogs and we even have one!

Help your daughter get over the fear. Dogs are everywhere which can make it difficult.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:23 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
OK, dogs in stores apparently is becoming the norm.

Problem is my daughter is deathly afraid of dogs. It's annoying to us as parents as we have to pick her up if there is a dog within 100', but now that she is getting bigger and soon will enter public school, it will become a problem if she doesn't outgrow this issue.

I've had two social issues that have been a little hard to handle "correctly".

Instance #1: On hiking trail, stopped at a hiker's break area with picnic tables. Daughter is sitting on top of picnic tables. Another hiker with dogs off leash approaches, and dogs get excited to see daughter and scamper up on top of picnic table. Daughter freaks out as she doesn't want dogs running toward her.

Instance #2: In store today. Dog enters store. Daughter gets nervous. Dog starts to bark at daughter.

How would you handle either of those two situations? Especially the dogs in stores situation.

It is very simple get your daughter used to dogs. Dogs are going to continue to live in this world as are children so get used to it. If your daughter was afraid of cars what would you do?

Old 03-06-2016, 06:48 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Get her a dog.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:57 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I'm sorry your daughter is afraid of dogs. I think the best you can do is politely ask if the owner can leash them. Insofar as dogs in stores, unless it's a Petsmart or similar or a utility/working dog I've never seen them in stores. I wouldn't think management wouldn't put up with dogs in public stores.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:15 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Unfortunately, you can't control the behavior of others. What you can control (or at least influence) is your daughter's reaction to dogs. I would highly suggest speaking to a therapist about ways to help desensitize her. To be honest, it's in her best interest. A dog is far less likely to react aggressively toward someone with no reaction over someone with a highly anxious and fearful reaction.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
It is very simple get your daughter used to dogs. Dogs are going to continue to live in this world as are children so get used to it. If your daughter was afraid of cars what would you do?
Absolutely. You are really going to handicap her if you can't help her get over her fear. When she's in school her friends will have dogs, will she turn down play dates and birthday party invitations?

Dogs are very common in stores here, we live near a big facility that trains service dogs. Service animals are allowed everywhere. Our Home Depot and Lowes are dog friendly for anybody who wants to bring their pet along. We have many restaurants with outdoor seating that allow dogs also. As long as the dogs are leashed, I don't see the problem.

We have a park that permits unleashed dogs (not a dog park), but most do not. And if my dogs jumped up to reach a child, I would be very apologetic. That can be frightening even to a child without a dog phobia.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Get her a dog.
Absolutely.

Avoid aggressive breeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.