Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:22 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,152,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I put mine in a small bathroom and them come in with the carrier.
It sounds superior, but don't the cats ever come to suspect why they are being placed in the bathroom?

Old 03-12-2016, 10:25 PM

52,349 posts, read 52,799,906 times
We used to get out kitty when he was napping and all sleepy, we'd grab the carrier and pretty much shove his little ass in there while he as still groggy.

Sucks, but it worked for us....

He was a good kitty he's been gone for a couple of yrs and I still find myself thinking about him sometimes. He used to sleep with me at night and I used to be cranky about it...

I wish I could get cranky again....

Old 03-12-2016, 10:58 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,643,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
No, I don't know it. Are you claiming to be psychic? If so, you are not.

Nah... better to bury the hatchet and let it drop....

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 03-12-2016 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Not necessary

Old 03-12-2016, 11:20 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,152,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Nah... better to bury the hatchet and let it drop....
Quote:

I read someone encouraging violence and unnecessary death in a situation where no ones life or limbs are threatened. Dogs bark when they are happy, and they are usually happy to see children.

Should they have been on a leash? Yes. Do they deserve to die simply because they were not? No. Sorry, they don't. I don't agree with that, and if you check, in most places, the law doesn't agree with that either - but I have no doubt that naturally violent people will use any excuse to do what they like best - be violent - even if it means adding to a child's trauma by doing so.

No one has a right to attack and destroy anyone's property - even if its not being properly handled or stored. If its biting and attacking that is one thing - if it isn't, YOU are being a criminal by attacking and harming it. We cant just beat and kill things based on potential. If we could, most of us would be scared to step outside our homes at all.

P.S. What if Fido jumps out your way and you end up kicking and shooting your little girl instead? What if Fido's owner has a gun, and then shoots you? Afterall, you just harmed your own kid.

A lot of parks post rules that include no fire arms, even if they allow 'killer' puppy dogs.

I don't like mincing words Al. Its a free forum and you can do what you like with your hatchet - bury it, drop it. Doesn't matter.

Have a good evening.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,670,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
Totally disagree with the posters on here who seem to blame the OP and her child--so typical of the mentality in this country that it's the "victim's" fault. Yeah, so if I'm afraid of a guy wielding a gun, I guess I should just get over it and let him swing the gun around because there's a lot of guns around and I gotta get desensitized to it? No, no, no, no, no, no!

It's not necessary for this child to like dogs! People can go through life and not like dogs and still be happy! YES they really can!

Dog owners seem to think that everyone MUST love dogs. sorry, it's my right not to like them. I have seen too many people with dog bites and I've heard too many stories of dogs mauling kids to death in my area.

I had 2 large black dogs charging at me and barking when I've done absolutely nothing, was merely walking through the park, and the owner just stood there and did nothing to call them back! I had a dog chase me all the way down the street when all I was doing was merely jogging past the house! he jumped on me and started biting and tore at my pants! I had dogs barking and snarling at me for no reason! It doesn't matter if you try to be friendly to the dog! some dogs are just ill mannered, ill behaved animals, owners do not take the time to train them properly and train them how to recognize a real threat from an innocent passerby.

If it were my child, I would definitely protect my child. The child DOESN'T need therapy and is NOT the wrong one here!

Knock off the drama....LOL. Comparing a guy with a gun to a dog.

The only thing you're right on is no one has to like dogs. But that doesn't mean you go through life being afraid of them.

You know what? I don't like people who text in stores and don't pay attention to where they're standing oblivious to others. Guess what? It's not going to go away because I don't like it.

These parents are making their daughter a victim.

This is why we see threads on here on the Work and Employment forum "I'm 26 years old, live at home and never had a job".

Dogs are going to be around, and yes they should be on a leash. But this child is afraid of dogs regardless, if it was cars should the parents ask the neighbors to not drive on their street?

Last edited by seain dublin; 03-12-2016 at 11:48 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 01:16 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,815,949 times
Quote:

I read someone encouraging violence and unnecessary death in a situation where no ones life or limbs are threatened. Dogs bark when they are happy, and they are usually happy to see children.

Should they have been on a leash? Yes. Do they deserve to die simply because they were not? No. Sorry, they don't. I don't agree with that, and if you check, in most places, the law doesn't agree with that either - but I have no doubt that naturally violent people will use any excuse to do what they like best - be violent - even if it means adding to a child's trauma by doing so.

No one has a right to attack and destroy anyone's property - even if its not being properly handled or stored. If its biting and attacking that is one thing - if it isn't, YOU are being a criminal by attacking and harming it. We cant just beat and kill things based on potential. If we could, most of us would be scared to step outside our homes at all.

P.S. What if Fido jumps out your way and you end up kicking and shooting your little girl instead? What if Fido's owner has a gun, and then shoots you? Afterall, you just harmed your own kid.

A lot of parks post rules that include no fire arms, even if they allow 'killer' puppy dogs.

Esp when the property in question is a living creature. We must be kind to our fellow man yes even if that man is a dog. We are all mammals so that makes us connected. People often say humans are so much more evolved but by using such force you are only proving that non human animals are the more civilized species. I agree that this can traumatize the child. The child is already afraid and doing so would add to that. Not only do they get to see an aggressive dog but they see an aggressive person as well. Plus what happens if it somehow works? The child would mirror it thinking this is the way to handle fear and then end up getting hurt.

If the dog is biting and attacking I still don't necessarily agree with using brute force because that just makes it worse and if you miss the dog, the dog is going to get more angry. Aggression begets aggression...definitely find a way to remove the dog in this case but hopefully in a humane way.
It's a complicated situation so I guess if the dog is really in that mode and you don't know the particular dog I cannot necessarily fault you for it but it would be better to try and use assertion instead of aggression if you can esp when you consider that many dogs have an abusive or rough past so it gets to be an endless cycle. I especially do not see any reason in shooting a dog..only as a very very last resort. Remembering when I stood there frozen watching my rabbit get killed by the Rottweiler I haven't felt good about that breed since but I would never think of hurting one let alone shooting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Knock off the drama....LOL. Comparing a guy with a gun to a dog.

The only thing you're right on is no one has to like dogs. But that doesn't mean you go through life being afraid of them.

You know what? I don't like people who text in stores and don't pay attention to where they're standing oblivious to others. Guess what? It's not going to go away because I don't like it.

These parents are making their daughter a victim.

This is why we see threads on here on the Work and Employment forum "I'm 26 years old, live at home and never had a job".

Dogs are going to be around, and yes they should be on a leash. But this child is afraid of dogs regardless, if it was cars should the parents ask the neighbors to not drive on their street?
People are paranoid or something. It's pretty crazy. If I was sitting here saying about how I'm scared to learn to drive, I'm pretty sure they would be telling me the same thing we've been saying about dogs "cars are everywhere. if you want to get around you have to be able to drive one. you may not like it but that's how it is." Funny how it works huh?

I don't understand what you mean about the Work and Employment forum though. What does that have to do with fear of dogs? I love dogs and I have two but I still live at home and don't work. Unless this relates to having fear in general.

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-13-2016 at 01:44 AM..

Old 03-13-2016, 05:09 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,683,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I've never for the life of me understood why anyone would waste ten minutes of their lives "rescuing" a cat from a tree. In my 58 years of walking this earth, I have seen many cats in trees, but I have never once seen a cat skeleton in a tree.

When they get hungry enough, they find a way down. The time and energy spent rescuing them could be more profitably expended on any number of things, almost all of which are far safer than climbing a 20-foot ladder to wrestle with a crazed cat in a frenzy of fear.
Do you usually look up at trees to check if there are any cat skeletons?

Maybe cat owners who have a cat up a tree want their cat back soon, rather that waiting to see if or when the cat will come down or end up elsewhere.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:58 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times
This conversation has roamed around.

Back to the fear of dogs. A gentle, sweet dog will likely help calm fear of dogs.

A large, friendly, protective dog that goes with the daughter whenever she is out and about, say hiking or at playgrounds, will stop other dogs from running to her. They will get between her and other dogs and generally, the dogs are interested in each other and ignore the kids.

Not all dogs are friendly and I can't count the number of times I've heard, "He's never done that before."

Old 03-13-2016, 09:05 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,643,632 times
Quote:
I don't like mincing words Al. Its a free forum and you can do what you like with your hatchet - bury it, drop it. Doesn't matter.
Absolutely! No reason you should have to mince words. I certainly don't. So good for you.

But hopefully one of the things you learned from this is that if you're going to be blunt, you should first make the effort to be sure you know what you're talking about. So you don't need other posters to help you save face later.

Oh, and you have a nice day too.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:27 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,535,910 times
Sorry folks, but this thread has long and seriously veered off topic, not to mention some angry, attack responses You may want do a search in the Dog Forum for the off topic discussions you have created in this thread.

closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships