Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 05:59 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,735,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Don't forget J.Crew we had tons of adorable dogs when I was a personal stylist there and frequently people were happy when I held there dog for them it was great!
maybe JC Penney's when I was there no dog the lady in the photo dept when I looked at a cute dog photo

said bring your dog in and I will take a phot. I know HD had no dogs on the door but if in the cart it was OK

Old 03-10-2016, 06:16 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,921,858 times
I definitely see those doggie in purses around and there is a more lax attitude towards these dogs in stores. Actually, I was visiting the Parthenon the other day and was in the small museum part with all the paintings when I came across a couple with a lightweight stroller. I ended looking down at it because I thought it odd that it was netted up and realized there was no baby/tot. There were 2 Yorkshire terriers! I'm not sure why they let this couple in, but OK. Sign of times, I supposed.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:35 PM

7,013 posts, read 4,956,848 times
There was a time when dogs were allowed to go into any store here in the US. I may be wrong, but I think it's still this way in Germany and other European countries. Of course, in many European countries today, most children still behave themselves in public, unlike here.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:38 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,254,234 times
Take your daughter to a counselor. Than to your local animal shelter. Adopt a pit bull mix puppy. The most stable breed I know of with children. Or a young adult dog. My children grew up with pit mixes. No one was ever bitten.

The world is not going to revolve around your daughter and her fears.

Children who grow up with animals and have respect for them are more confident, and do better socially.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:53 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,583,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Take your daughter to a counselor. Than to your local animal shelter. Adopt a pit bull mix puppy. The most stable breed I know of with children. Or a young adult dog. My children grew up with pit mixes. No one was ever bitten.

Children who grow up with animals and have respect for them are more confident, and do better socially.
Uh, no.

And your last sentence is just personal opinion. I didn't grow up with dogs, yet I have respect for dogs (and all animals) and I do just fine socially. My husband has never owned a dog until we were together. He doesn't have any social disorders either. You DON'T HAVE TO BE RAISED WITH (OR AROUND) ANIMALS.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:58 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,457,206 times
Quote:
If any kid pulls on my dogs ears I will be the one breaking the kids skin......my dog is leashed why isn't your child?
Felony assault. Nice.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:58 PM

151 posts, read 191,056 times
Quote:
It is very simple get your daughter used to dogs. Dogs are going to continue to live in this world as are children so get used to it. If your daughter was afraid of cars what would you do?
I agree. The world does not revolve around your children, as rude as it may sound.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:35 PM

2,078 posts, read 2,030,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
OK, dogs in stores apparently is becoming the norm.

Problem is my daughter is deathly afraid of dogs. It's annoying to us as parents as we have to pick her up if there is a dog within 100', but now that she is getting bigger and soon will enter public school, it will become a problem if she doesn't outgrow this issue.

I've had two social issues that have been a little hard to handle "correctly".

Instance #1: On hiking trail, stopped at a hiker's break area with picnic tables. Daughter is sitting on top of picnic tables. Another hiker with dogs off leash approaches, and dogs get excited to see daughter and scamper up on top of picnic table. Daughter freaks out as she doesn't want dogs running toward her.

Instance #2: In store today. Dog enters store. Daughter gets nervous. Dog starts to bark at daughter.

How would you handle either of those two situations? Especially the dogs in stores situation.
I am literally terrified of dogs and I am 53. I have never had one attack so IDK why. I am a cat person .

Technically a store is running a HUGE liability risk with dogs who are not certified service animals . We have alot of people up here who claim their dog is an emotional support dog .
However they are NEVER certified "emotional support " dogs and WILL bite . I had someones Chihuahua leap OUT of its basket and miss my arm by inches in a vintage store . Had no clue she had a dog so I wasn't smelling of fear .

There are so many people who have these dogs that while they may like the owner WILL go into protection mode around others ( the public) .
I do not take my cat to the store or take it to a store in the car .
Many of the barns I work in do not allow dogs other that registered service dogs for insurance reasons due to the above kind of stuff .
I went to the manager about the chihuahua. If not me some one else or a little kid was going to get bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

Why? maybe she just does't care for them like me ? I have made a living on top of 1200 lb race horses and I LOVE chickens and cats fish , REAL service dogs if they are outgoing etc ,, they have to force themselves on me with kisses before I am not afraid . I Like Goats and sheep and cattle too . Just not into dogs.

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 03-10-2016 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 10:08 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,124,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
There was a time when dogs were allowed to go into any store here in the US. I may be wrong, but I think it's still this way in Germany and other European countries. Of course, in many European countries today, most children still behave themselves in public, unlike here.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:44 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,826,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Disagree on all bolded points. Therapists are very helpful in small kids, especially in cases of trauma, sexual abuse in particular. Also, phobias are not typically phases that kids outgrow. As a matter of fact, they often get worse and develop into a full fledged anxiety disorder. The idea that a child can avoid most dogs in America, a place in which dogs are an extremely popular pet, is completely unrealistic. Additionally, avoidance is exactly the wrong approach in helping the child overcome her fear. Slow exposure over time to low key dogs will help.
I'm sorry for not being clear, but I don't believe therapy is needed for a small child to become desensitized to dogs. Obviously in cases of sexual trauma, it would be warranted, but we're not talking about a little girl who survived rape. This is just a little girl who is scared because big dogs charged her and barked at her. She's afraid of being attacked by an animal that is quite capable of mauling or killing her. This is a normal instinct, like a fear of snakes or poisonous insects. Therapy can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. Most insurance plans only have a pittance of an allowance for mental health coverage, so any sort of extended professional care is likely to cost quite a bit out of pocket. Maybe you have the budget for that, but I don't. I just don't think it's necessary at all, not at this point.

I am visiting family today. I am smack in the middle of a town of 75,000 people, and today we went to a few different stores, got pedicures, and went out to dinner. I was in their front yard for about an hour this morning. I have not seen a single dog today, not one. I know several neighbors have them, and we even went to a store next to Petsmart, but no dogs today. I cannot remember the last time I saw one in a store. Where we live, people walk their dogs all the time, but my son plays in the backyard. The neighbor's little yapper comes into our yard maybe twice a year. It's really not that hard to avoid dogs who are unleashed or bounding around--just cross the street. Give them a wide berth, problem solved. Maybe when this little girl gets older, but for now I don't see anything to fix.

Quote:
For example, OP could try showing her daughter a dog, (a neighbor's perhaps) in a crate from far away for about 5 minutes. The daughter will be afraid, but that's OK. She won't die from the fear. That is a hallmark of exposure and response therapy; exposing the person to the fear for longer periods of time and showing the person he/she can conquer it. Soon the person discovers he/she is scared, but the fear WILL go away, and quickly if they hang in there. So the next session, the daughter comes closer to the dog in the crate a few days later. Then she approaches closer a few days later. The following week, allow her to watch the dog on a leash, again at a distance. Slowly decrease the distance and increase the time the child is near the dog until she feels, if not comfortable around the dog, at least no longer afraid. Caveat: This is best done under the guidance of an experienced behavioral therapist.
In second grade, my son developed an intense fear of bugs. I don't know why. He was fascinated with them when he was little. But later he would freak out if he saw a bug, avoided going out at recess in case a bug came near him, refused to go anywhere there was a tiny cobweb. His school was concerned and called me a couple times when he was scared of a ladybug or tiny spider. We talked him. He got over it. No expensive therapy, no immersion by trained professionals, no taking him to doctors to "fix" him and making him internalize there was something wrong with him. He just outgrew it. They're little kids. We don't need to pathologize every quirk they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships