Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 01:37 PM

15,078 posts, read 12,268,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I would never take my dog into a store. I would have been afraid he might bite, I don't think he would have but you never know. (He has been gone for a few years).

My brother, on the other hand, had to take his seeing eye dog everywhere. The difference being that service dogs wear harnesses that signify they are working. For this it's up to parents to teach their children the difference.
Exactly. And when it's a trained service dog, such as a seeing eye dog, there's no doubt as to his status from his behavior. The dog is well behaved, not distracted by the surroundings, and focused on the task at hand.

And you don't pet or otherwise distract a service dog so he can focus on his work.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:42 PM

17,413 posts, read 12,377,718 times
[quote=Kaphawoman;43288156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Daughter needs therapy. Dog owners you are running into need to follow leash laws.

Personally I think children should be banned from grocery stores, just as non-service dogs are, for the same reason. I would argue that a snot nosed kid is a much higher contamination risk.[/QUOTE]

Gee, somehow the Department of Health disagrees with you. You'd be right if children shed hair all over the place, licked their own genitals, ate their own vomit, and greeted each other by sniffing buttholes.
The list of diseases that can spread from dogs to human is quite small. Those that can spread from a kid who doesn't cover their face when they cough/sneeze, puts their mouth on anything that they can, etc is significant. Kids are ingesting each other's poop all the time. Fecal-Oral Transmission: A-to-Z Guide – DrGreene.com

Old 03-09-2016, 03:00 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,540,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
True. Dogs in a suburban environment typically have yards in which to do their business. Urban dogs, unless they have access to a park, have to use sidewalks or streets. I cannot imagine how disgusting it would be if the majority of dog owners don't pick up after their dogs.

I have spent extensive time in Boston and always walked everywhere I went. I've never seen dog poop on the sidewalk or street. Perhaps there are more green spaces available there than where you live. Or less dogs. Or more responsible owners. No idea, but clearly wherever you reside needs to take a strict approach to getting owners to act responsibly. No US municipality is going to outlaw dogs on public streets, but they should require 100% compliance with cleaning up after your pet. I would be all for a heavy first time fine and increasing fines for repeated non-compliance.

I'd also like to see strict leash laws for cats just like we have for dogs. Seems like that'd begin to eliminate the large and growing feral cat problem.
Our city not only requires you to have a dog on a leash, but it cannot be more than a six-foot leash.
And you must not only pick up your dog poo, but you have to be able to show any officer that asks you a bag that you are carrying with the intention to pick up the poo.

So you better believe it really cheezes me off when I see other dog people are not using a leash or are not picking up the poop. Not just because it ruins it for everyone else, but I just really hate people who think they are above the law.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:28 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,158,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
OK, dogs in stores apparently is becoming the norm.

Problem is my daughter is deathly afraid of dogs. It's annoying to us as parents as we have to pick her up if there is a dog within 100', but now that she is getting bigger and soon will enter public school, it will become a problem if she doesn't outgrow this issue.

I've had two social issues that have been a little hard to handle "correctly".

Instance #1: On hiking trail, stopped at a hiker's break area with picnic tables. Daughter is sitting on top of picnic tables. Another hiker with dogs off leash approaches, and dogs get excited to see daughter and scamper up on top of picnic table. Daughter freaks out as she doesn't want dogs running toward her.

Instance #2: In store today. Dog enters store. Daughter gets nervous. Dog starts to bark at daughter.

How would you handle either of those two situations? Especially the dogs in stores situation.
It is in her best interest to get her into dog immersion therapy. Why?

Well, as an example, the sweetest little baby dog in the world is going to at least be tempted to flex its little puppy muscles and bark like a bad-adze if he senses fear or weakness in even you, never mind a child.

I'm curious where this seemingly irrational fear stems from anyway, if she has never been attacked by a dog, or not been taught by some adult in her life to fear dogs. Dogs are usually a child's best friend, and have always been known as man's best friend.

The friendliest dog at the park will chase her if she screams and runs from him. He will think she is playing. A bad nasty dog will take it for weakness and chase her too, but play will probably not be on its mind.

Any dog, just like most people, will get annoyed at being stared at. Just like most people, they will get to the point of, "hey, kid - what's your problem?"

Have you thought about getting her a puppy as a birthday or holiday gift? Its the easiest way to let her see how wonderful, playful and protective these creatures really are. It teaches a child responsibility and gives them a sense of empowerment as well.

If that isn't feasible, and unless you have a great fear of dogs yourself, introduce her to a neighbor or cousin's dog. Not someone's made-insane-by-man alleged 'guard dog', but someone's family pet.

I had dogs since I was a baby. I cant imagine how unenriched my life would have been without them.

You can tell a dog anything - they will listen intently, kiss you when you are done, and never betray your trust. Most people including parents have difficulty accomplishing the same.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,302,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think you missed the point entirely. Dogs coming into stores is a pretty recent phenomenon, typically coming about by well-meaning stores trying to kowtow to dog owners. Yet they really didn't think matters through. There are any number of issues at play when dogs come in contact with people. One is the situation pointed out by the OP. Another is the dimension that I pointed out just now.

Your response, by the way, is a self-centered one, essentially expressing the notion that your dog's rights trump my daughter's health, or her ability to function normally in the world. Sorry, but there is absolutely no conceivable reason for your dog to be in any stores aside from a pet store. But, in her adult life, my daughter has every reason to be in any store she sees fit to patronize.

What's more, the rights of people supersede those of dogs. My daughter shouldn't have to spend her life wondering if every store she enters either a) has a dog there or b) has recently had a dog there. Because you would have to willfully blind to not understand the fact that dog dander doesn't vanish the minute you exit the place with your pet.

So as you traipse about the world with Rex or Fido or whatever, you are literally leaving a trail of allergens wherever you go. I'm pretty sure that thought has never occurred to you until this very moment.
You are sounding self-centered imo
The fact is, if a store owner wants to allow dogs, it is their right and you can chose to avoid their store.

I'm not unsympathetic, in fact I am afraid of some dogs...not all. But, I would simply face my fears, knowing the dogs are leashed if I wanted to continue to shop there..or I would shop elsewhere.

After all, as a human you have many choices, dog owners do not.

Now this thread is not about you or I. It is about a small child that has had some frightening encounters with some uncontrolled dogs..and she's developed real fear.

OP..Have you considered visiting your local dog shelter. I'm sure they would allow you and your daughter to socialize with puppies..and you could graduate to small dogs as your daughter's fear subsides.

It is a controlled environment...it would give her a chance to see how leashed dogs don't run at you and jump onto tables, and frighten you.. She can also learn how to feel around "normal" dogs and will realize those couple bad experiences aren't the norm.

I think it would help her a lot.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,800,287 times
I strongly disagree with the suggestion that a small child--not even school aged yet--needs therapy. It's probably not that difficult to avoid most dogs and react appropriately when you do see one. She'll learn how to treat dogs and probably just outgrow her fear. I grew up with dogs and have never cared for them much. I've met a few that were very sweet but I never want a dog ever. Don't get her one until she wants one, because if she hates it you're stuck with it. Dogs deserve loving homes.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:16 PM

16,443 posts, read 12,613,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Of course it is. I wouldn't expect anything else.
Dog owners ="Right"
The zillions of people who tire of feces everywhere, constant barking, and entitled ME ME ME people assaulting them with aforementioned = "get therapy".

Of course you are correct. Dog owners always are. Just ask them.
Ummmm ... I'm not a dog owner. So much for your assumption.

I also haven't suggested getting therapy.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:26 PM

16,443 posts, read 12,613,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Have you ever volunteered at an SPCA or feral cat TNR crew? No gloves? Not me.
Oh no! Look at all these SPCA vids of employees/volunteers NOT wearing gloves to handle cats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi_WFy2yAh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiClmuP5BC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEt6Pa54cg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzW45qXe6rM

Old 03-09-2016, 06:28 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,922,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
People assume everyone loves dogs and dogs love everyone- not true. A respectful dog owner will understand your concerns and remedy the situation, but you must make the owner aware of your daughter's fear.
People assume everyone loves kids as well.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:31 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,922,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
100% agree.

A lot (most???) if people seem to be really crappy dog owners.

I HATE the "He's friendly! He wouldn't hurt anyone!" line. Complete BS. YOU don't know he'd "never hurt anyone!" Kids get bitten ALL THE TIME by sweet family pets who would "never hurt anyone"

Regardless, no matter how friendly a dog is, my 30 pound, 3 foot tall 3 year old doesn't want your 75 pound dog coming straight towards their face. Nor do I want his smelly slobber on me, nor his shedding fur all over me. And I actually do like dogs, but on MY terms. I wouldn't hand my kid off to some random person and say, "Oh, I KNOW you want to hold him! Don't worry about the snot and tears! Oh did he just wipe boogers all over you? He's so friendly!"
Kids also provoke these attacks. The difference is the dog gets put down and nobody ever asks what the kid did to provoke the poor dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships