Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 08:04 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,862,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
A dog owner denying reality. Hmmm . . . totally shocking. Never saw that before.

Any versed animal person is a aware of an animals instincts. That is why when dealing with cats a person wears gloves. It is why when working with birds/raptors, you put on gauntlets. If you have been around dogs you're whole life and never been bitten, that is the only unbelievable thing said here. Either you are 3 years old, or have only been around two dogs your whole life.

You "enhancing" reality about dogs and dog owners. Hmmm.... totally shocking. Never saw that before.

And yes, I have been around MANY dogs my whole life and NO I have never been bitten. You seem to believe that anyone who spends any amount of time around dogs is destined to be bitten repeatedly. I'm over 50 and never been bitten. My husband hasn't either and he's over 50. Both my kids and their spouses are in their late 20s/early 30s and have never been bitten. We must be the LUCKIEST people on the planet when it comes to dogs or you're pushing an agenda that has nothing to do with facts. Just like you cherry picked the part of my post you felt you could attack and ignored the part where I clearly stated that dog owners need to be 100% responsible for only taking their dogs where allowed and having them leashed and under control at all times. Once again, "enhancing" to fit your anti-dog/dog owner agenda.

You clearly should avoid all dogs and their owners. Consider it a public service.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 03-09-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 08:12 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,106,335 times
Quote:
A dog owner denying reality. Hmmm . . . totally shocking. Never saw that before.

Any versed animal person is a aware of an animals instincts. That is why when dealing with cats a person wears gloves. It is why when working with birds/raptors, you put on gauntlets. If you have been around dogs you're whole life and never been bitten, that is the only unbelievable thing said here. Either you are 3 years old, or have only been around two dogs your whole life.
I have been around animals my whole life and have only been bitten by a cat. Am I scared of cats because of it? No. I was kid and was probably grabbing the cat or doing something it didn't like. It probably gave me warnings I didn't pay attention to and it was 100% my fault that it bit me. Same cat also scratched me numerous times. It didn't like being held, I liked holding it. It was, again, 100% my fault.
Dogs give warnings, if you got bit, it is probably because you didn't pay attention to the dogs warnings. I have only seen one dog bite without warning, but she was old and senile and half blind and probably didn't even realize what she was doing. She was my dad's dog and she bit his hand when he was giving her a treat. She couldn't see where the treat was. Did he become scared of dogs because of that? No. He loves all animals. He walks in my house and literally lays on the floor to roll around with my dogs.
Fears are irrational. As I mentioned before, I'm scared of birds and am not a fan of rats. If I see a rat, I avoid it, or ask someone to help me remove it but I don't expect rats to not exist. I don't expect birds to not exist. A previous poster asked if I went to therapy to deal with my issues with birds...no but I did seek help from friends and family and while I still don't love birds, I can be around them without freaking out.
You have an irrational hate of dogs and dog owners...I don't think that is normal and anyone that hates any animal that much has issues and probably should seek help. I don't think you have a fear of them, I think you have a hatred, for whatever reason, and it is not healthy.
I couldn't hate any animal if I tried.
It takes a really really awful person for me to hate them, usually I don't hate anyone, mostly just strongly dislike them.
The OP's daughter needs help dealing with the issue for her own benefit so that she can be in control of the situation if it happens again. She doesn't have to love dogs, but she should be able to tolerate their presence.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:13 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,106,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You "enhancing" reality about dogs and dog owners. Hmmm.... totally shocking. Never saw that before.

And yes, I have been around MANY dogs my whole life and NO I have never been bitten. You seem to believe that anyone who spends any amount of time around dogs is destined to be bitten repeatedly. I'm over 50 and never been bitten. My husband hasn't either and he's over 50. Both my kids and their spouses are in their late 20s/early 30s and have never been bitten. We must be the LUCKIEST people on the planet when it comes to dogs or you're pushing an agenda that has nothing to do with facts. Just like you cherry picked the part of my post you felt you could attack and ignored the part where I clearly state that dog owners need to be 100% responsible for only taking their dogs where allowed and having them leashed and under control at all times. Once again, "enhancing" to fit your anti-dog/dog owner agenda.

You clearly should avoid all dogs and their owners. Consider it a public service.
I agree with you completely. That poster should never leave their home as they may encounter things, people, animals they don't like. lol

Old 03-09-2016, 08:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,063,753 times
Quote:
right. Birds/feathers . . .

Yes, I have huge issues with dog owners. I also do the taliban, drug dealers and anyone else who cannot comport themselves civilly in our society. If the kid has issues, it came about do to her perception of dogs and owners. Instead of trying to bash her and say she needs therapy, you guys need to police yourselves. Why she is worried is because repeatedly, she has seen dog owners NOT act responsibly. That is her version of things, and it is an accurate one.
Comparing dog owners to the Taliban and drug dealers just shows how ridiculous you are. Just how many dog owners do you think act the way you describe? I know literally dozens of dog owners and I can't think of one person I know who is over the top with their dog and thinks their dog is more important than anyone else and tries to bring their dog to places they are not welcome. Seriously, I don't know what your beef is but it's pathetic.

That's not true about the kid's issues coming from her perception of dogs and their owners. She's a small child it seems, hasn't even started school yet. I don't think she's capable of noticing particular annoying behaviors about dog owners and attributing her fears to that. Some people just have inherent fears. Or maybe a dog scared her once somehow and ever since then she's deathly afraid of all dogs. But it's true that she DOES need help overcoming that fear. She doesn't have to like dogs but it's not okay to be so afraid of them that she needs to be held and can't even stand when she's in the same room as a dog.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:32 AM

50,517 posts, read 64,453,451 times
I just got a dog, after several years of being pet free. I used to think it was charming the way people bring their dogs everywhere. Now that I have one, though, I never take him anywhere, because its a hassle worrying about what he'll do. He is very easy going, but still...who needs it? I don't know why people don't prefer to leave their dogs at home.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 AM

480 posts, read 671,522 times
To be clear, the store that the person brought their dog to is not known to be welcoming to dogs (aka Home Depot). It was at an auto parts store and not a place that I had ever seen dogs before.

Had I taken my daughter to a store that I thought she would encounter dogs, I would have discussed the situation with her beforehand to make sure she would be ok with it, or more likely, left her at home since she didn't need to come with me.

I am a dog lover personally. Think they're great although we don't own one due to work schedules. I did get nipped by a dog when I was about 24, that was no big deal, but then I got bitten by a dog when I was probably 31. That time I was riding my bike down a street, and a dog came charging out of the house, ran up to my leg, sunk it's teeth into my leg and didn't want to leg go. I was left with 2 or 3 puncture wounds that took several months to heal. For many years after that, I didn't like friendly dogs running up to me because I didn't know if the dog would sink it's teeth into me like the one that did when I was on my bike or if they'd just yap away for a little while.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:59 AM

16,450 posts, read 12,642,814 times
Quote:

People wear gloves when dealing with cats?!?!? WTH?

Multiple people (and I'm adding myself to the list) have said that they've spent their entire lives around dogs and never been bitten (41 years in my case). Seems to be that the problem is you. My guess is that when encountering a dog, you freak out, and the dog reads it as aggression and reacts in kind. Which is exactly why I've said over and over in this thread that the OP's daughter needs help dealing with her fear.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,826,514 times
My daughter was bitten in the face by her grandparents' dog. She still has scars on her cheek and next to her eye. Fear of dogs is not irrational, especially for a little girl who has had unleashed dogs run up on her. She's a little kid. When I was small, my mother owned a horse and occasionally would let me sit on him. He would try to shrug me off, and even when I took lessons, I could never get any horse to do what I wanted. It was because I was not the boss. Animals have basic, simple motives and know who the boss is. As the OP's gets bigger she will probably feel more assertive toward dogs, because they won't be able to knock her down or jump on her so easily. She'll have a more commanding presence and a bigger voice to say, "NO. Get back."

Old 03-09-2016, 09:18 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,580,574 times
Dunno.
Neither of my 50-60 pound dogs seem to scare my 35 pound son or my 20 pound daughter.

The son feeds and waters them daily.

So while I see size being an issue if you're already scared, it doesn't automatically mean anything.

JJ, boy are you spot on about commanding presence.

My ex couldn't control the dog we had together at all. She had zero command presence or credibility as an adult. We got the dog as a puppy, and I could see her rolling her eyes at my ex.
If you're a meek, wispy, tiny kid, I imagine it'd be worse.
Meanwhile, my 4 year old holds the dogs in a sit-stay while filling their bowls and they wait till he gives the release command.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,862,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Comparing dog owners to the Taliban and drug dealers just shows how ridiculous you are. Just how many dog owners do you think act the way you describe? I know literally dozens of dog owners and I can't think of one person I know who is over the top with their dog and thinks their dog is more important than anyone else and tries to bring their dog to places they are not welcome. Seriously, I don't know what your beef is but it's pathetic.

That's not true about the kid's issues coming from her perception of dogs and their owners. She's a small child it seems, hasn't even started school yet. I don't think she's capable of noticing particular annoying behaviors about dog owners and attributing her fears to that. Some people just have inherent fears. Or maybe a dog scared her once somehow and ever since then she's deathly afraid of all dogs. But it's true that she DOES need help overcoming that fear. She doesn't have to like dogs but it's not okay to be so afraid of them that she needs to be held and can't even stand when she's in the same room as a dog.

Clearly he/she believes 100%. And therein lies the issue with this poster. Anyone who believes that 100% of any group behaves in the exact same way and attributes the worst they've seen in one of them to all, has a perception issue.

Some dog owners are irresponsible. I see the evidence when I walk my dog. But, in my experience they are the minority. I just think we as humans tend to notice the bad and not the good. Especially if we already have a negative opinion and conformational bias takes hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships