Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 03:56 PM

6,245 posts, read 3,628,330 times

Advertisements

[quote=notnamed;43284303]Daughter needs therapy. Dog owners you are running into need to follow leash laws.

Personally I think children should be banned from grocery stores, just as non-service dogs are, for the same reason. I would argue that a snot nosed kid is a much higher contamination risk.[/QUOTE]

Gee, somehow the Department of Health disagrees with you. You'd be right if children shed hair all over the place, licked their own genitals, ate their own vomit, and greeted each other by sniffing buttholes.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:57 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,729,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This entire thread is odd - even the title. Why does it have to be a either/or -- either the dog or the kid? Neither are going anywhere any time soon.

I also don't agree with the mom's 'It's her problem' stance. I mean...really? You aren't going to help her? Isn't that your job?

I'm honestly wondering if this thread was just meant to start an argument nothing more as those are two points that I noticed were a bit odd.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:05 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not all dogs that her daughter will encounter will belong to someone. It's not always a matter of "urban quality-of-life terrorists", whatever the eff that means. There will be times when she'll come across a stray dog. So yes, the OP needs to help her daughter to deal with her debilitating fear, otherwise she will flip out at the sight of a dog, who will then react with more aggression.

You guys just don't get it. The kid probably dislikes green beans too, that doesn't mean she should go to therapy to talk about it. I'm a grown up, animal rights proponent and have done many rescues of a variety of animals. I don't dislike dogs, I dislike the owners who as a group, are very irresponsible. I go out of my way to avoid them. There is a time and place, and urban areas are not that time or place. You guys refuse to step out of ME-ME-ME and realize lots of people don't like your dogs. The kid is going to grow up just fine. And, still, not like dogs, just like a huge percentage of our population. You think it is your "right" to assault peoples sensibilities with your lack of. No, there are no legal repercussions, no one is going to confront you, but rest assured, every time you go out in a populated area with your dog there are lots and lots of people wishing you weren't there. But, since you are a dog owner, it is your divine right and all those people should get therapy, we get it

Old 03-08-2016, 04:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,033,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
You guys just don't get it. The kid probably dislikes green beans too, that doesn't mean she should go to therapy to talk about it. I'm a grown up, animal rights proponent and have done many rescues of a variety of animals. I don't dislike dogs, I dislike the owners who as a group, are very irresponsible. I go out of my way to avoid them. There is a time and place, and urban areas are not that time or place. You guys refuse to step out of ME-ME-ME and realize lots of people don't like your dogs. The kid is going to grow up just fine. And, still, not like dogs, just like a huge percentage of our population. You think it is your "right" to assault peoples sensibilities with your lack of. No, there are no legal repercussions, no one is going to confront you, but rest assured, every time you go out in a populated area with your dog there are lots and lots of people wishing you weren't there. But, since you are a dog owner, it is your divine right and all those people should get therapy, we get it
The kid doesn't just "dislike dogs." She is afraid of them to the point of wanting to be held when one is nearby. This is not normal. She cannot go through life this afraid of dogs or she will be miserable in many social situations and out in public. Her fear needs to be dealt with.

It's fine to not like dogs; it's not fine to want mommy and daddy to hold you when a dog is in the room because you're so afraid. She's afraid of dogs even when they don't approach her, so don't blame dog owners single-handedly.

1,623 posts, read 1,729,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post

If she is running away from her green beans as well then she needs therapy for sure. I'm also wondering if you might consider some as well. I feel like you seem to have some anger issues that could be resolved pronto....

[quote=Kaphawoman;43288156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Daughter needs therapy. Dog owners you are running into need to follow leash laws.

Personally I think children should be banned from grocery stores, just as non-service dogs are, for the same reason. I would argue that a snot nosed kid is a much higher contamination risk.[/QUOTE]

Gee, somehow the Department of Health disagrees with you. You'd be right if children shed hair all over the place, licked their own genitals, ate their own vomit, and greeted each other by sniffing buttholes.
I did all that as a child. Except the shedding hair part. Thats just gross

Old 03-08-2016, 04:15 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,918,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
You'd be right if children shed hair all over the place, licked their own genitals, ate their own vomit, and greeted each other by sniffing buttholes.
If humans could lick their own genitals, they probably would.

And in a grocery store one time, I saw the mother of a young human do something so disgusting in response to the child's behavior, I'd rather watch dogs go shopping all day, any day.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
If she is running away from her green beans as well then she needs therapy for sure. I'm also wondering if you might consider some as well. I feel like you seem to have some anger issues that could be resolved pronto....
Anger issues? No, just disgusted resignation. There isn't one square mile of our beautiful neighborhood that isn't fouled by dogs. I am very happy every time another "No Dogs" sign goes up in a public place. The cro-mag on the open-pipe Harley is only annoying for 15 seconds. Lovely barking Fido is annoying all night long, but it's ok, because thats what dogs do, right? Also, to the two owners who might really use those little spoons you carry around with you . . . Why do you assume someone wants feces in their yard? If I came up on your front porch and deficated in front of you, would it be ok because I was polite and scooped it up?

Old 03-08-2016, 04:18 PM

15,017 posts, read 12,225,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
OK, dogs in stores apparently is becoming the norm.

Problem is my daughter is deathly afraid of dogs. It's annoying to us as parents as we have to pick her up if there is a dog within 100', but now that she is getting bigger and soon will enter public school, it will become a problem if she doesn't outgrow this issue.

I've had two social issues that have been a little hard to handle "correctly".

Instance #1: On hiking trail, stopped at a hiker's break area with picnic tables. Daughter is sitting on top of picnic tables. Another hiker with dogs off leash approaches, and dogs get excited to see daughter and scamper up on top of picnic table. Daughter freaks out as she doesn't want dogs running toward her.

Instance #2: In store today. Dog enters store. Daughter gets nervous. Dog starts to bark at daughter.

How would you handle either of those two situations? Especially the dogs in stores situation.
IMO dogs don't belong in stores unless they are trained, certified service animals. Obviously if this is barking at people in the store he does NOT belong there. If the dog is acting badly or disruptively ( and excessive barking qualifies for that, IMO), even if he is a real service dog, the owner can be compelled to remove the dog. I'd speak to the manager.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 PM

6,245 posts, read 3,628,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If humans could lick their own genitals, they probably would.

And in a grocery store one time, I saw the mother of a young human do something so disgusting in response to the child's behavior, I'd rather watch dogs go shopping all day, any day.
You mean the MALE ones at least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships