Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 PM

8,015 posts, read 10,486,667 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this by saying I love dogs. I have a dog. But I think having a dog off leash anywhere other than designated areas is completely irresponsible. Not only is it inconsiderate to others, it is unsafe for the dog. Sure, your dog may be calm and gentle, but who's to say the dog a person is walking on a leash nearby is the same way? When your dog approaches it, it can become defensive putting it's owner in an uncomfortable position.

I also hate dogs in stores for much the same reasons you mentioned. Not to mention that many people are allergic or just downright don't want to be forced to interact with your dog who, "Just wants to see say hi." One time I was in a grocery store. Someone had one of those ridiculously small dogs in a bag. No one, myself included, even noticed. That is until it saw a woman in a wheelchair with her service dog who were also shopping. The little mutt went ballistic. Completely unacceptable. There is absolutely NO reason your dog needs to be at the store with you unless it is a service animal.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:09 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,722,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Agreed. To an extent.

The major difference I see in the 2 situations is that a lot of dog owner thinks it's perfectly fine for their dog to invade others' personal space, lick them, rub against them, sniff them, etc. Sure, kids can cause a ruckus and be loud, but it's rare to see a parent be ok with their kid wiping their noses on strangers, or jumping on them.

You would think so. But I had instances where the kid was like a untrained puppy.

IMO, that's part of what makes this situation annoying--people who are otherwise decent, let their dogs do things they would NEVER let their children do. And they cannot see why other people have an issue with their dog being all over them. They just don't seem to think it's a big deal.

But dogs bark, and kids cry, and neither are wrong to do so. It's the dog owners and the parents who need to know the limits of acceptable behavior for the situation they are in. If it comes down to a head-to-head situation, however (like the OP, or the poster whose 8 yr old son climbed him like a tree) humans rights should supersede those of canines.

There are people who see things differently. I had a friend who saw his dog as a person. Literally. As a real person. Took the damn dog everywhere. Drove me nucking futs.

A dog park or hunting seem like perfectly appropriate situations for a dog to be off leash.
I won't take my dog in places simply because she could get hit by a cart, forklift, paws stepped or run over by shopping carts. And sometimes it's hot out and they are much cooler at home. Believe me I love my dogs, I would do anything to make sure they are taken care of, and truthfully spoil the heck out of them, but I have limits as to where I will or will not take them.
But walking into my house eventually you will get the home team inspection.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:10 PM

8,015 posts, read 10,486,667 times
[quote=Kaphawoman;43288156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Daughter needs therapy. Dog owners you are running into need to follow leash laws.

Personally I think children should be banned from grocery stores, just as non-service dogs are, for the same reason. I would argue that a snot nosed kid is a much higher contamination risk.[/QUOTE]

Gee, somehow the Department of Health disagrees with you. You'd be right if children shed hair all over the place, licked their own genitals, ate their own vomit, and greeted each other by sniffing buttholes.
And I have yet to see a kid run up to complete strangers and lick them.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:39 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,729,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Yes I can relate to that. My dog is very small and very very cute so small children want to pet her. She is shy and gets scared because they run up and scare her, but, I try to be nice and try to teach them to move slow around her or I turn her around and tell them to pet her tail, but, I never once have demanded that children not be allowed in pet stores
I had the two small cute dogs the terrier younger would be so happy to see a child as the older Bichon.

The parent would say to the child ask my I pet your dog which I thought wise. Yes, and the dogs were good
as the child. The car dealer allows dogs why many buy the car to suit the dog in one way I did the CRV

Old 03-08-2016, 06:06 PM

5,353 posts, read 8,584,188 times
If this thread is any indicator, I wonder if the US will follow in Japan's footsteps ....

"Very much like Japan's growing ageing population, the nation is also facing a large number of ageing pets. Already Japan has more registered pets than children. Some 20 million in comparison to the 16 million children under 15."

Thus.... doggie retirement homes .... when owners can no longer care for their dogs.....

Japan: Dog retirement homes care for elderly canines

Old 03-08-2016, 06:27 PM

7,072 posts, read 6,350,766 times
I would never take my dog into a store. I would have been afraid he might bite, I don't think he would have but you never know. (He has been gone for a few years).

My brother, on the other hand, had to take his seeing eye dog everywhere. The difference being that service dogs wear harnesses that signify they are working. For this it's up to parents to teach their children the difference.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 PM

when small age 2 or 3 had a kitten who did a scratch me. kitten as gone why I was also small enough not to understand.

Sure I had more pets when older maybe age 9 or ten and did learn how to treat them. I also did learn not to poke a finger in the rooster pen!

Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
My two boys are super friendly and love kids, but that being said I would comply and leash my animals. A child's comfort would be more important to me then having my boys run around. They can do that else where. I would ask her if she'd like to hold the Yorkie. He's super cute and very docile. He would be the perfect dog to introduce to someone who is that afraid of dogs.

Dog people can be super nice but some of them can be rectums, especially if they think they're animals have more rights then humans. John and I were fortunate enough to take the boys to a hotel with us when we went skiing in Michigan and I was appalled at the people who left all of the dogs leavings behind on the snow mobile trail next to the hotel.

I didn't want my dogs exposed to potential diseases so I went around and picked it all up. I also made sure that my dogs left nothing behind for the next dogs who visited. I walked my dogs off leash the entire time we were there and a couple of times my oldest one barked at a couple of the guys. I was right there to grab him and apologize. Had anyone complained I would have carried him to the field away from the hotel.

I love my boys but they have to have manners and they're fun can not come before some else's comfort.

Just wanted to comment about how nice you are. People not cleaning up after dogs is a whole other subject for another thread, but I just can't believe you did that.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:00 PM

15,657 posts, read 15,793,436 times
I hope that you will do whatever one does to get your daughter used to dogs, and I'm sure people will give you wonderful advice on how to speak to the owners politely but firmly.

However, I can't help fantasizing how effective it would be if you and your daughter both started shrieking at the tops of your lungs. If some people would be direct, it might start to give dog owners pause.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
OK, dogs in stores apparently is becoming the norm.

Problem is my daughter is deathly afraid of dogs. It's annoying to us as parents as we have to pick her up if there is a dog within 100', but now that she is getting bigger and soon will enter public school, it will become a problem if she doesn't outgrow this issue.

I've had two social issues that have been a little hard to handle "correctly".

Instance #1: On hiking trail, stopped at a hiker's break area with picnic tables. Daughter is sitting on top of picnic tables. Another hiker with dogs off leash approaches, and dogs get excited to see daughter and scamper up on top of picnic table. Daughter freaks out as she doesn't want dogs running toward her.

Instance #2: In store today. Dog enters store. Daughter gets nervous. Dog starts to bark at daughter.

How would you handle either of those two situations? Especially the dogs in stores situation.
Mice the fear was there from way back yuck me depending on her age maybe get her dog books if small.

Older if time, visit a shelter where she does see dogs are not all that bad. Yes, a child freaks and dogs want to play and dogs need to be leashed. One issue my dog or the dog of my Mom an older Bichon.

The day b4 Christmas in the store and a daughter and Dad came in please allow her to pet her.

Neat I made a sale why the dog was with age behaved and his daughter Dad a puppy would be nice. The same dog a nursing home going home the dog did just stop and look. The lady said please bring her into see my dad. He had a smile as she did say put her on the bed.

Friends the terrier a wheel chair is it safe yes why Lizzie is your friend. Two dogs each had a reason both made people happy

Last edited by maggiekate; 03-08-2016 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships