Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 09:14 PM

20,010 posts, read 9,551,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Obviously, we live in different areas.

I really can not imagine that it is common to even allow, let alone WELCOME, dogs to most stores (except for pet supply stores or similar stores).
In the Denver metro area, there is a large LIQUOR store that not only allows dogs, but WELCOMES them-- to the point that they have a large water bowl inside and an employee will offer dogs a Milkbone type treat!

The first time I was made aware of this was when my husband and I walked our Lab mix and stopped by the store to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner. My husband went in to make the selection, while I waited outside with Pepper. An employee came out just to tell me that dogs were welcome inside! I politely declined because our dog is very "hyper" and friendly and I did not want her to cause any damage to the numerous glass bottles on display! Anyway, after I said, "No, thank you", the employee then came out again a couple of minutes later just to give Pepper a treat.

And, yes, btw, we ALWAYS have her on a leash except when she is inside or in our backyard, and I wish all dog owners would do the same unless they are in an off-leash and enclosed dog park.

P.S. I agree that unless people plan to keep their kids away from any but "no dogs allowed" trails and other areas, they should definitely do what it takes to lessen their fear of dogs as much as possible.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,122,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I strongly disagree with the suggestion that a small child--not even school aged yet--needs therapy. It's probably not that difficult to avoid most dogs and react appropriately when you do see one. She'll learn how to treat dogs and probably just outgrow her fear. I grew up with dogs and have never cared for them much. I've met a few that were very sweet but I never want a dog ever. Don't get her one until she wants one, because if she hates it you're stuck with it. Dogs deserve loving homes.
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:33 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,122,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Irrational is the definition of phobia:
Phobia | Define Phobia at Dictionary.com
Thank you.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:23 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,550,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
My son was bitten by a dog on a play date. Other boy's mom and I were right there. Other mom even had the dog on a leash. The boys came around the corner laughing and the dog lunged forward and bit my son's chest.

We've volunteered many hours in our local animal shelter. No bites.

My parents were walking their dog (on a leash) in their neighborhood, and he bit the hand of a runner who jogged by (requiring stitches.)

Had a neighbor who was a veterinarian and his daughter had a scar on her face from when the family dog bit her while she was sitting on the floor playing.

Another friend's daughter was bitten (requiring stitches) by a trained police dog. The host dad was a police officer, and had worked with the dog for years. It just suddenly bit this little girl who came over to play.

I've never been bitten by a dog. I've never been stung by a bee either. But it doesn't mean those things don't happen unprovoked everyday.
Thar does not make them inevitable, as the poster was implying.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:47 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,695,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Kids also provoke these attacks. The difference is the dog gets put down and nobody ever asks what the kid did to provoke the poor dog.
This is what I think happens often, without people knowing the entire story. I cannot help feeling it being unjust for a dog to be automatically put down.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:46 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,695,090 times
When I was about five years of age, I recall a neighbor's dog running toward me and jumping. Now I did not understand, thinking it was sudden and scary, probably running, which made him go after me. I must have had some other good interactions and we later had a family dog. Becoming a dog lover, I would have had them of my own, but dogs are not always allowed in Apartments - so became a cat parent some years ago, learning to also love them. (I adore visiting others who have pets who come to greet me, sit by or on me).

When in stores - and I know it has become a "thing" to do...whether a person is in need of or not of having their pet with them, I don't really care, as long as they are responsible. I would rather see this, than see a doggie waiting in a car. I have frankly only encountered the sweetest dogs, usually carried in the cart. I will stop -- chat with owner - let the dog sniff the back of my hand, and if it seems fine, will pet. Most times, I might say to the dog "Are you shopping with mom / dad?" (Some owners might not want one petting their dog). And I understand a service animal is busy doing his duty.

I have seen some grown men who appear to have not gotten past a fear, knowing a Postal carrier who always had mace ready, for a dog who might approach from inside a screen door for instance, which to me is not necessary. Another man who appears to think a dog is "the enemy", due to an expected, sudden approach by one, even when passing one leashed. It seems this type anticipates trouble, then the dog reacts to their reaction. (This may be what happens to adults who never got past it).

I have not been to a dog park recently, but even then, maybe it is because I do not exhibit fear, dogs seem to sense that it is okay to approach. If walking and meet a dog and owner, always a good interaction. If a dog runs up to their fence barking, I will say "Hi, Doggie".. as their tail is wagging. I must just speak their language..

Old 03-10-2016, 03:57 AM

19,671 posts, read 9,628,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
You still dont get it.
All of you guys are offended by the omnipotent "few bad ones" yet somehow our sidewalks are STILL mined with feces and a dog barks incessantly in any/every neighborhood in the city. When these two issues remediate themselves, I will give credibility to what all of you good, wholesome owners are claiming.
Yes, those can be my neighbors' dogs you are hearing but they don't have to be mine. Ours get one bark to alert. We go check.

Yes, there may be poops around. Some people just find it beneath them to pick up after their dogs, so instead have hired service to come do the "dirty" work but haven't got there in time for you to have already seen the mess. While others pick up almost immediately thereafter. Many dog owners would not allow their dogs off-leash or in area that do not allow for dogs to be there while the "few" allow theirs to roam freely at all times and to go places where they shouldn't. Yes, it irks the responsible ones to no end because ...

"One bad apple shouldn't spoil the whole bunch" but in the minds of some people it apparently is.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:20 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,024,210 times
There is a flip side to this coin. I have noticed many parents take very small children to the dog park, where numerous large dogs are roaming. In this instance, the dogs have the right to run loose, as that is the very purpose of the dog park. Yet they keep their small kids in the stroller or even worse, their toddlers who can barely walk are stumbling around, and curious dogs approach them, wanting to sniff this interesting object. The kids have gotten knocked down, trampled, or otherwise injured because they are too small to be taken to the park where 100+ pound dogs are running loose. At the very least, small kids should be closely supervised when they are taken to dog parks.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,158,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There is a flip side to this coin. I have noticed many parents take very small children to the dog park, where numerous large dogs are roaming. In this instance, the dogs have the right to run loose, as that is the very purpose of the dog park. Yet they keep their small kids in the stroller or even worse, their toddlers who can barely walk are stumbling around, and curious dogs approach them, wanting to sniff this interesting object. The kids have gotten knocked down, trampled, or otherwise injured because they are too small to be taken to the park where 100+ pound dogs are running loose. At the very least, small kids should be closely supervised when they are taken to dog parks.
So true, that makes me very nervous. Even my own small dog has learned to walk on the perimeter of the dog park because he has been innocently trampled a few times in the middle. Small kids won't be that smart though.

Back to the OP, if a store chooses to be dog-friendly, too-bad-so-sad for the handful of people who may be allergic. The store will live with any lost business.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:32 AM

5,400 posts, read 6,572,506 times
A little therapy to develop a reasonable caution of strange dogs but not life crippling irrational fear of all dogs will make her life much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships